Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S Stereo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I don't know everyone's situation, but for me I noticed this forward bias as well. But I'm 6'3 and when I look to the side i realized my head is way farther back than the default center point. So I don't think it unreasonable that I should have to move the center point back to where I'm actually sitting.

I'm no audiophile, but to get it sound even reasonably "good" I had to boost up all the frequency sliders about 3/4 way. Even then the audio is kinda meh, I think my AirPods sound better.

Keep in mind I think my Y sounds fantastic....

Reactions: jebinc
Very interesting thread! I am currently driving a 2019 M3 AWD, but have a MSLR on order with an EDD of next month (January 2022). I have considered all the pros and cons of the M3 and the MS and on balance prefer the MS - without considering the sound system. But, this thread shows that many folks prefer the M3 sound system. Which is a Big Deal for me. Am thinking of just keeping the M3 and adding the Unplugged Performance suspension to give it a better ride. Do, any of you have advice for me? I would add that i also currently own an MY. It is one of those rare Standard Range RWD ones that i snagged for cheap in January. But, it does have the premium sound system. That MY sound system is almost as good as the M3. And i think it is not quite as good because the shape of the interior means placement of rear speakers is different from M3 and also the distance from speakers to my ears is different. I found a thread on Reddit about this too. And, of course, since the MS is a hatchback and the M3 a sedan with a shelf over the trunk, the layout of MS and M3 are quite different as well.

I was not impressed with the refresh Model S the first couple days of owning it compared to my BMW’s Harmon Kardon speakers, but now I am really impressed by the Model S system. I moved the the focus of the speakers more towards the rear and turned immersive sound to high and now I think it sounds great!

I just took delivery of a 2022 MS and also agree that the sound is not as full as my Model 3 and the S also has a prominent front fader bias.

Yeah, it's as if the calibration is way off. I mean how hard is it to check these things, guess it's low on the priority of fixes. I have mine set a little farther back, and pushed up the EQ bands high and low, depressing the mid frequencies and that seemed to help a little, but there has to be a better way.... like a calibration file.

Reactions: Wilber
Very interesting thread! I am currently driving a 2019 M3 AWD, but have a MSLR on order with an EDD of next month (January 2022). I have considered all the pros and cons of the M3 and the MS and on balance prefer the MS - without considering the sound system. But, this thread shows that many folks prefer the M3 sound system. Which is a Big Deal for me. Am thinking of just keeping the M3 and adding the Unplugged Performance suspension to give it a better ride. Do, any of you have advice for me? I would add that i also currently own an MY. It is one of those rare Standard Range RWD ones that i snagged for cheap in January. But, it does have the premium sound system. That MY sound system is almost as good as the M3. And i think it is not quite as good because the shape of the interior means placement of rear speakers is different from M3 and also the distance from speakers to my ears is different. I found a thread on Reddit about this too. And, of course, since the MS is a hatchback and the M3 a sedan with a shelf over the trunk, the layout of MS and M3 are quite different as well.
I think the new sounds system is great, and get many compliments. The key is to turn up immersive sound, adjust bias to rear and then tune via the EQ. It will only get better with firmware updates.

Reactions: Wilber and DBV1
Tesla seems to be going for an audiophile soundstage, Eg sound distinctly coming from the front as it would from a 2 channel audiophile home system.

One can argue whether that’s good or bad all day long. Doesn’t really matter.

Most people are used to car stereos where the sound is “immersive” unintentionally because it’s really hard to get good soundstage in a car. So you just end up with sound coming from everywhere.

One can argue either that’s good or bad all day long. Doesn’t really matter.

Seems people who want frontal soundstage are happy with the defaults. People who want traditional “immersive” can solve it with some rearward bias.

My point is it’s not an error or qc issue from Tesla’s perspective. One car argue either that’s good or bad…

Tesla seems to be going for an audiophile soundstage, Eg sound distinctly coming from the front as it would from a 2 channel audiophile home system.

One can argue whether that’s good or bad all day long. Doesn’t really matter.

Most people are used to car stereos where the sound is “immersive” unintentionally because it’s really hard to get good soundstage in a car. So you just end up with sound coming from everywhere.

One can argue either that’s good or bad all day long. Doesn’t really matter.

Seems people who want frontal soundstage are happy with the defaults. People who want traditional “immersive” can solve it with some rearward bias.

My point is it’s not an error or qc issue from Tesla’s perspective. One car argue either that’s good or bad…

I don’t think that’s it. Why would they do that on the S but not the Y?

Audiophiles don’t want the sound to be 💩

I’m just talking about the soundstage. I don’t take a position on whether a frontal soundstage is good or bad. At least not here, lol.

Why not on the Y or 3? No idea but Tesla seems to indulge in their own tastes more on the S and X. See also: yoke, falcon wing doors, etc. Those tastes don’t always go over with the majority of people.

Sound quality is very subjective. One audiophiles $100k setup is just another audiophiles $100k garbage pile. And vice versa.

I’m just talking about the soundstage. I don’t take a position on whether a frontal soundstage is good or bad. At least not here, lol.

Why not on the Y or 3? No idea but Tesla seems to indulge in their own tastes more on the S and X. See also: yoke, falcon wing doors, etc. Those tastes don’t always go over with the majority of people.

Sound quality is very subjective. One audiophiles $100k setup is just another audiophiles $100k garbage pile. And vice versa.
Maybe. I’m hoping I just haven’t gotten around to proper calibration.

I actually think the speaker quality is better in Model 3 than in S. I don't think it has anything to do with firmware / software. Yes, it has front bias and I did play with all the settings. I am not an audiophile, but I think I have sufficient experience with sound systems and music to be able to tell how subpar the sound system in the Model S is. Weird but also there's a distinct humming coming from the speakers, whether the music on or off... I was told by service that's from the heat pump, but I am not buying it...

Personally coming from owning early Model 3 to Plaid S (and I also own X and had two Model S in the past since 2014). The Plaid S is sweet and clean, has wow factor and all... but I think I enjoyed Model 3 much more.

Reactions: oktane
My Plaid sounds substantially worse than my nose cone S or Y.

I have no explanation but figured it was a software issue.

Anyone have a test pattern track or is there an app to quantify audio quality?

I see one for iOS that does a FFT spectrum

My neighbor has an M3 and his stereo sounds like clown town compared to my refreshed MS. I have no idea what you guys are talking about, it sounds great
I agree. I think people with "crap" sounding systems need to connect with those of us that love ours. I for one am a harsh critic when it comes to sound systems, so I offer anyone in the LA area feeling like their Plaid Audio sucks, I will be happy to meet up so we can compare quality.

Reactions: jebinc