Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021/2022 Model X Owners Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has 600 miles and it has a very slight shudder when accelerating between 35 and 50. It might just be a fact of life for the X, just how things resonate in the drivetrain with the synchronous motors
I’m getting this also, but ONLY for the first drive of the day — like it’s still warming up or something. After the first mile or two it’s gone.

Only “flaw” in 3 months / 3k miles is a loud creak in the driver‘s seat — happens whenever I take my foot off the accelerator and regen kicks in. If you change the angle of the seat it‘s not as noticeable. Mobile service won’t fix it, told me I need to take it to a service center - just been procrastinating doing it. I assume the springs in the seat just need replacing - or tightening.

Question — has anyone wrapped their yoke? It came from the factory with a tiny chip in the foam, which is annoying me. Would be happy to just cover it and be done with.

I’m getting this also, but ONLY for the first drive of the day — like it’s still warming up or something. After the first mile or two it’s gone.

Only “flaw” in 3 months / 3k miles is a loud creak in the driver‘s seat — happens whenever I take my foot off the accelerator and regen kicks in. If you change the angle of the seat it‘s not as noticeable. Mobile service won’t fix it, told me I need to take it to a service center - just been procrastinating doing it. I assume the springs in the seat just need replacing - or tightening.

Question — has anyone wrapped their yoke? It came from the factory with a tiny chip in the foam, which is annoying me. Would be happy to just cover it and be done with.
You can probably go my some silicone spray grease and just go to town on the spring and power seat mechanism to see if that helps.

Just crossed 1K miles recently. first EV ever, wont be my last. The acceleration is addictive, im afraid i'll set a new record for lowest miles that require new tires. Hard to really test out its limits as it hits 100 mph too quickly. No major issues, I do get to charge at work for free and have to charge at home for supplement if i dont show for a period of time. I dont really have the shudder others are having, can cruise at 80-85mph+ without it. I do have a service appt coming up to fix some things, hopefully they wont make it worse then when I drop it off. I have front PPF, and blacked out badges front and back on MSM with cream interior. my toddlers love it too, they love the visibility, falcon doors and roller coaster like speed. fingers crossed many more thousands of miles of joy ahead.

i got you. You may want to use a specialty oil like Krytox GPL105 or a dry teflon spray lubricant if you want to avoid attraction of dust, but other than that this is where it's coming from

We had the same creak in the front passenger seat while braking in our 2017 MX 100D. Had the Service Center fix in one visit and no problems ever again. Recommend going to the Service Center.

Reactions: timberlights
Do you guys have a high pitch whistling noise when accelerating?
i can hear that every time i accelerate a bit hard.
Not sure if your whistling noise is the same but wanted to share. Our 2017 MX 100D had a very high pitched whistling above 50mph or during high speed acceleration. Mobile Service said, normal wind noise. I took our MX into Burbank Service Center which immediately diagnosed the problem as a FWD alignment issue. They fixed the problem and it has never returned. Burbank SC is the best. Can't wait to pickup my 2023 MX in Burbank.

I am 1000 miles in and at around 340 mi/hr... Even on all-local trips I am averaging around 300. Have service scheduled in early Sep and hopefully an alignment will fix it as many pointed out.

300 wh/mi is really pretty good for such a big heavy vehicle. I don't see there's anything to "fix". There's so many factors at this number... speed is a HUGE factor. In Frisco, if you are on the the Tollway, 380, or 75 and doing normal highway speeds (e.g. 65-75), that IMO is a very good number.

300 wh/mi is really pretty good for such a big heavy vehicle. I don't see there's anything to "fix". There's so many factors at this number... speed is a HUGE factor. In Frisco, if you are on the the Tollway, 380, or 75 and doing normal highway speeds (e.g. 65-75), that IMO is a very good number.
No, that is not a very good number at all. I typically see 220-240 Wh/mile @ 55 mph, only breaking above 300 at a steady 80 mph. But this was after an alignment that I had to pay for. OP should be prepared to pay, unless there is something else wrong, such as, car pulls to one side, or steering yoke is not straight. The only problem with this is the Refreshed X does not include any energy management utilities like the graph. The only way to measure, is by running and resetting the trip odometer.

img_7331.jpg
(Sorry for the bad moiré)

Last edited:
No, that is not a very good number at all. I typically see 220-240 Wh/mile @ 55 mph, only breaking above 300 at a steady 80 mph. But this was after an alignment that I had to pay for. OP should be prepared to pay, unless there is something else wrong, such as, car pulls to one side, or steering yoke is not straight. The only problem with this is the Refreshed X does not include any energy management utilities like the graph. The only way to measure, is by running and resetting the trip odometer.
@55mph. I really don't believe it is possible to be below 300 wh/mi at 80mph for a long stretch. Even in the model Y, it's not really possible to achieve below 300wh/mi at a steady 80mph. I don't mean just a burst or a touch of 80mph, I am talking sustained 80mph drive.

Edit - I would love it if the refresh X is really THAT efficient, but I just don't know. I consider myself a pretty efficient driver. My lifetime average on a MYP is below 290 wh/mi over 26,000 miles. That's pretty low. I guess when the MXP shows up, I'll track it the same as I did with TeslaFi to see how it does. I am expecting at least 10% more energy usage.

Last edited:
@55mph. I really don't believe it is possible to be below 300 wh/mi at 80mph for a long stretch. Even in the model Y, it's not really possible to achieve below 300wh/mi at a steady 80mph. I don't mean just a burst or a touch of 80mph, I am talking sustained 80mph drive.

Edit - I would love it if the refresh X is really THAT efficient, but I just don't know. I consider myself a pretty efficient driver. My lifetime average on a MYP is below 290 wh/mi over 26,000 miles. That's pretty low. I guess when the MXP shows up, I'll track it the same as I did with TeslaFi to see how it does. I am expecting at least 10% more energy usage.
Just went out and took a pix of my trip odometer. My 80mph test was a few weeks ago, and I don't have a shot of that, but it was 310 Wh/mile in over 20 miles.

img_7331.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: shingles
Just went out and took a pix of my trip odometer. My 80mph test was a few weeks ago, and I don't have a shot of that, but it was 310 Wh/mile in over 20 miles.

View attachment 843760
You are showing incredible results that far exceed EPA ratings for refreshed MX. See EPA details as discussed at Insideevs, Check Out 2022 Tesla Model X Official EPA Range/Efficiency Ratings. EPA shows highway 93 MPGe: 362 Wh/mi (225 Wh/km) which is well above what you are showing. I can confirm that my MX can't come near what you are showing but I drive at 74MPH on Navigate on Autopilot for all highway driving. I wish I could get 300 Wh/mi. My Last Trip in 2017 MX 100D was 1,429 miles with 362 Wh/mi which ironically matches EPA rating for the refreshed MX. Disclaimer: trip was in the Southwest, triple digits, mountains and valleys.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
You are showing incredible results that far exceed EPA ratings for refreshed MX. See EPA details as discussed at Insideevs, Check Out 2022 Tesla Model X Official EPA Range/Efficiency Ratings. EPA shows highway 93 MPGe: 362 Wh/mi (225 Wh/km) which is well above what you are showing. I can confirm that my MX can't come near what you are showing but I drive at 74MPH on Navigate on Autopilot for all highway driving. I wish I could get 300 Wh/mi. My Last Trip in 2017 MX 100D was 1,429 miles with 362 Wh/mi which ironically matches EPA rating for the refreshed MX. Disclaimer: trip was in the Southwest, triple digits, mountains and valleys.

I am hoping to average around 330 wh/mi. If I can get close to that, I'd be pretty happy.

Maybe I am missing it, but on Tesla’s website it says “Wireless Gaming” and has images of games on the rear screen.

What type of of wireless controllers work? And how do I get games on rear screen.

Or is this them telling us what they plan to do in five years?