Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2016 and we sold it but thinking of coming back to and X, after seeing some refresh reviews and feedback.

Currently have a place in line for the Rivian R1T max 400+ mile pack but the larger packs don’t start delivering until Jan 2022+.

loved our X but it was “delicate” somewhat and had its share of service issues.
My story is long winded. I had a P100D MX. Loved it, but it had the original MCU and it was buggy. I also had trouble with wifi connectivity at home. I haggled with Tesla to get the MCU replaced and they wouldn't budge. I didn't feel it right that I had to pay several thousand to replace a part that was widely recalled.

So I started to realize that I could sell my 2018 MX, buy a brand new one, solve the MCU issue and pay way less on my loan (prices plummeted since I bought mine - another kick in the rocks by Elon). I made the decision to do this, but then learned of the pending "refresh". That was icing on the cake, but wanted to make sure the price wouldn't change. I was assured by my SA that I would be grandfathered to the price I agreed to at the time of the reservation.

So, I sold my MX quickly, reserved a new one and the refresh was in fact announced. But, the price shot waayyy up. I called my SA out on it and they basically said: "Yeah, we were wrong." Fine. I'll pay more than what I was planning on paying, but I'll have an awesome refreshed MX pretty soon.

And the maddening waiting game started with no communication whatsoever. Soooo, I pulled the trigger and put a deposit down on a Rivian. At this point, my guess is the wait for a Rivian won't be dramatically different from waiting for a Model X (July-August 2021 vs. Early 2022). Granted, they are different cars with targeted drivers. But, the Rivian looks and sounds compelling for about half the price of what Tesla now tells me I have to pay for a vehicle that is comparable to what I just sold.

Now, I plan to wait and see how things unfold (will the MX ever get built? what do the Rivian reviews look like? can I test drive a Rivian?, etc.)

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
My story is long winded. I had a P100D MX. Loved it, but it had the original MCU and it was buggy. I also had trouble with wifi connectivity at home. I haggled with Tesla to get the MCU replaced and they wouldn't budge. I didn't feel it right that I had to pay several thousand to replace a part that was widely recalled.

So I started to realize that I could sell my 2018 MX, buy a brand new one, solve the MCU issue and pay way less on my loan (prices plummeted since I bought mine - another kick in the rocks by Elon). I made the decision to do this, but then learned of the pending "refresh". That was icing on the cake, but wanted to make sure the price wouldn't change. I was assured by my SA that I would be grandfathered to the price I agreed to at the time of the reservation.

So, I sold my MX quickly, reserved a new one and the refresh was in fact announced. But, the price shot waayyy up. I called my SA out on it and they basically said: "Yeah, we were wrong." Fine. I'll pay more than what I was planning on paying, but I'll have an awesome refreshed MX pretty soon.

And the maddening waiting game started with no communication whatsoever. Soooo, I pulled the trigger and put a deposit down on a Rivian. At this point, my guess is the wait for a Rivian won't be dramatically different from waiting for a Model X (July-August 2021 vs. Early 2022). Granted, they are different cars with targeted drivers. But, the Rivian looks and sounds compelling for about half the price of what Tesla now tells me I have to pay for a vehicle that is comparable to what I just sold.

Now, I plan to wait and see how things unfold (will the MX ever get built? what do the Rivian reviews look like? can I test drive a Rivian?, etc.)
The Model X will get built. When? I don’t know. Probably by the end of Q2 but more likely Q3.

I can’t speak to Rivian other than to say I think both they and Lucid will suffer from the same start up issues Tesla suffered from a decade ago. The question is can they overcome it? Tesla never really did from a fit and finish perspective (or communication), but their cars are so compelling, people buy them.

Time will tell for all of these companies.

Reactions: Vitaman and lsds
The Model X will get built. When? I don’t know. Probably by the end of Q2 but more likely Q3.

I can’t speak to Rivian other than to say I think both they and Lucid will suffer from the same start up issues Tesla suffered from a decade ago. The question is can they overcome it? Tesla never really did from a fit and finish perspective (or communication), but their cars are so compelling, people buy them.

Time will tell for all of these companies.
Totally agree. I was an early adopter for Tesla. They have learned a lot over the years and I don’t know if I have it in me to stomach going with another startup. On the other hand, I feel an excitement/anticipation that is similar to what I experienced in 2012 with Tesla.

It’s a hedge at this point. Fully refundable place in line.

Welcome to my roller coaster 😜

• Funny
Reactions: elguapo
There’s also a volume piece. That is, if they have 1,000 orders for five seaters and 200 orders for 6 seaters, they may build the five seaters first as it’s more bang for the buck. Plaid is a different story because the margin seems to be so outsized.

That said, those “priorities” were based on how they originally manufactured the cars and for a time when they had to have that extra margin or they’d go bankrupt. Not the case anymore and I’d bet there are far less plaids on order than other types.

They might as well leave “Estimated Delivery” blank or not include it. Unfortunately, it’s meaningless and just gets people’s hopes up. VINs are where it begins to get real. Sorry, don’t mean to be a wet blanket.
You have to add three to six months to this date to get your real delivery date. Its been this way for every new model since the beginning of Tesla. They should definitely lose this, as well as the pricing ruse where they deduct "potential savings" from gas etc.

Cheap tricks are beneath the brand.

Reactions: TheGringoShow
Switching gears because I’m getting too depressed reading posts about delays: besides the extra room, next best feature you’re all excited about with the model x refresh? Me: HVAC/heat pump (I think all newer Tesla’s get the heat pump + octovalve setup?). My 2018 Model 3 is great but suffers from the “smelly feet” HVAC problem in the warmer months. This is the only problem I have with my M3.

Ordered a white LR with black interior. Owning a Tesla is my dream; blessed to have this opportunity. Test drove a 2017 P100D, but decided to get the latest tech. Had preordered cybertruck as soon as the site went live, but tired of waiting. Cybertruck was a way to get something like an X for cheaper.

Ordered a white LR with black interior. Owning a Tesla is my dream; blessed to have this opportunity. Test drove a 2017 P100D, but decided to get the latest tech. Had preordered cybertruck as soon as the site went live, but tired of waiting. Cybertruck was a way to get something like an X for cheaper.
Also, was going to get a Model S but the wheel covers are ugly. Also can get a business write off for the X, which lowers the cost below the S.