Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, been lurking here for the past year or so but just made an account to update the tracker. Ordered the white white 6 seat X LR in Feb 21, RN 11442xxx. I had an EDD range back in early March then it went back to July. So I added FSD 3 weeks ago to try and beat the quarter, but the EDD hasn't changed. I think I might remove FSD again.

On a related note, I've heard things here going from EDD to VIN in a couple days and delivery a few days after that. I want to get DCU financing but right now I am cash. I want to switch to financing before delivery - I believe we can only apply for external financing with a valid VIN right? Has anyone ever been forced to take delivery without proper financing in place? TIA!

Hi guys, been lurking here for the past year or so but just made an account to update the tracker. Ordered the white white 6 seat X LR in Feb 21, RN 11442xxx. I had an EDD range back in early March then it went back to July. So I added FSD 3 weeks ago to try and beat the quarter, but the EDD hasn't changed. I think I might remove FSD again.

On a related note, I've heard things here going from EDD to VIN in a couple days and delivery a few days after that. I want to get DCU financing but right now I am cash. I want to switch to financing before delivery - I believe we can only apply for external financing with a valid VIN right? Has anyone ever been forced to take delivery without proper financing in place? TIA!
I just got my date range updated (two days ago) to April 12 - 18. Tesla phoned me so I could get ready for delivery. I have to take a ferry and two cabs to get there. I just asked the rep to reset the financing so I could re-apply for a loan. It was an instant update on the site. I should also say I still don't have a VIN.

Let me make sure I understand what’s about to happen over the next two months…

Slowly and steadily people with “July” EDDs and more profitable cars will start to get VINs. To prevent absolute mutiny Tesla will sprinkle in some of the older orders. Then with about 4 weeks left in the quarter a bunch of “October” EDDs will start to get frantic texts, VINs, updated EDDs, etc. It will turn out that 60-75% of it doesn’t materialize. The ones that do take delivery will receive hastily-assembled cars laden with issues.

Then the quarter will end and all will go quiet again.

Am I missing anything?

I'd like to give a counterpoint to the doom-and-gloom. Only one data point but hope you'll see it as a small point of light.

I took delivery of a 6-seat LR Model X in Fremont during the last four hours (but who's counting) of Q1. Admittedly it was actually built in February and spent a really long time in QC. I logged a bunch of issues for service, including FWD alignment, an ultrasonic sensor, climate control system failure, a piece of exterior trim not tacked down right, a rattle in the driver side door, and a few fit and finish issues inside the cabin. Holy cr*p that was a lot, right?

I've owned the car about a week and a half now. Of those issues: The ultrasonic sensor started working properly on its own about a day after delivery...I'm suspecting it needed some kind of calibration. In the light of day (and with some feedback from some of you), one of the FWDs is actually pretty OK but I'd like them to adjust the other one. If they can't do it, I'm actually OK with that because mechanically they're working great. Yesterday, climate control started working after applying a software update (maybe needed to redeploy firmware to some controller?).

So what's left in terms of issues is a cosmetic FWD adjustment on one side, a trim piece, a rattle, and some interior fit issues. You-all can decide whether that's "laden with issues". Meanwhile I'm enjoying my car with all systems operational (trying not drive it too much before service appointment and then PPF wrap).

I don't mean to minimize the importance of some of the very real problems that other new owners have experienced. Just remember this existence proof for owner stories that don't fit the narrative above. Also IIRC some new owners said "my car is perfect" and they never posted to this thread ever again.

May your cars come quickly and without issue,

Bruce.

Meanwhile, 6 seat plaid pre-refresh order and still waiting!
Hmm. I just received a Plaid/Blue/Black/6/20/No FSD VIN for Kansas City delivery yesterday. Something peculiar to your build that they are waiting on?
Those short time frames were for Cali folks where shipping is zero or 1 day. You will get your VIN prior to manufacturing, then they need to build, inspect (or not :p), and ship it. I was VINed yesterday with a planned delivery for the week of 25th so you are looking at 2-3 weeks from VIN to delivery to the midwest.

Reactions: Prairie
I'd like to give a counterpoint to the doom-and-gloom. Only one data point but hope you'll see it as a small point of light.

I took delivery of a 6-seat LR Model X in Fremont during the last four hours (but who's counting) of Q1. Admittedly it was actually built in February and spent a really long time in QC. I logged a bunch of issues for service, including FWD alignment, an ultrasonic sensor, climate control system failure, a piece of exterior trim not tacked down right, a rattle in the driver side door, and a few fit and finish issues inside the cabin. Holy cr*p that was a lot, right?

I've owned the car about a week and a half now. Of those issues: The ultrasonic sensor started working properly on its own about a day after delivery...I'm suspecting it needed some kind of calibration. In the light of day (and with some feedback from some of you), one of the FWDs is actually pretty OK but I'd like them to adjust the other one. If they can't do it, I'm actually OK with that because mechanically they're working great. Yesterday, climate control started working after applying a software update (maybe needed to redeploy firmware to some controller?).

So what's left in terms of issues is a cosmetic FWD adjustment on one side, a trim piece, a rattle, and some interior fit issues. You-all can decide whether that's "laden with issues". Meanwhile I'm enjoying my car with all systems operational (trying not drive it too much before service appointment and then PPF wrap).

I don't mean to minimize the importance of some of the very real problems that other new owners have experienced. Just remember this existence proof for owner stories that don't fit the narrative above. Also IIRC some new owners said "my car is perfect" and they never posted to this thread ever again.

Bruce.
I should have also added that my Model Y (delivered this past February) was nearly perfect (though it was a mid-quarter delivery). I had one small issue and the service center took care of it with no questions asked. Delivery was the best I've ever had purchasing a car, and my SA was extremely helpful throughout.

That's the reason I ordered a Model X just a few days later.

There you go Bruce... switching to glass half full mode!

To keep the positivity going...

Despite the issues (esp on X), buying a car with a fixed price and without doing the haggle dance with the sales person and dealing with all post-purchase offers of paint protection, seat protection, etc. is still very refreshing. We take this for granted but important to realize it is a big benefit.

Who's next in line to give a dose of positivity? :)

Despite the issues (esp on X), buying a car with a fixed price and without doing the haggle dance with the sales person and dealing with all post-purchase offers of paint protection, seat protection, etc. is still very refreshing. We take this for granted but important to realize it is a big benefit.

Definitely. And right now, car dealers are not locking in a deliver price.

A neighbor configured and ordered a Ford Transit van. When the van came in, they told him they want $10,000 over the price he was expecting. They said they had 10 other customers that wanted the van and they were going to charge them $15,000 or more above, so they were giving him a "deal". They haggled for a few days and the dealer would not budge. My neighbor walked.

And I am hearing the same thing on my F-150 Lightning order, due to "market conditions".

Bruce.
raw

I'm in a similar situation, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: EV3_
raw

I'm in a similar situation, and I couldn't have said it better myself.
yeppp - haven't driven my Plaid much either like Bruce (awaiting XPEL stealth and etc. this Thurs) but so far the car is 90% in decent shape (SC appt next Friday to look at the driver FWD rubber seals, a new glove box, and 3rd row seat alignment) - just happy it's in MUCH better shape than my March 2020 MYP when I was a Tesla n00b

Reactions: DelPhonic1

I'll join in the positive vibes by reverting to an avatar that I used previously. It seems appropriate for the moment.
1649791098290.png

West coast has a lot of supercharging wait times I guess because many people don't have charging infrastructure at home or their rental/apartment
you got that right. Burbank SC is a hot mess most nights. Elon needs to stay off twitter boards and such, and tend to the insane growth until they get past the S curve.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Bruce.
As mentioned, guys/gals with cars that are perfect or close to perfect ride off into the sunset without a peep. Those with issues definitely make themselves heard, probably as they should. Thanks Bruce, for talking us thru it.

Hmm. I just received a Plaid/Blue/Black/6/20/No FSD VIN for Kansas City delivery yesterday. Something peculiar to your build that they are waiting on?

Those short time frames were for Cali folks where shipping is zero or 1 day. You will get your VIN prior to manufacturing, then they need to build, inspect (or not :p), and ship it. I was VINed yesterday with a planned delivery for the week of 25th so you are looking at 2-3 weeks from VIN to delivery to the midwest.
Nothing weird. In fact, I have two orders. One black and one white.

I am very curious about another software companies software update. I think Volvo is still the only other one that can do this successfully yet? Maybe there is one more in addition? Kia? So after 5 months you get a software update. What did it change or fix or improve? I'd love to know those details and how it compares to a Tesla update. I want other companies to be able to do this too. Tesla moves at a pretty breakneck pace. Maybe they should slow down to once every 5 or 6 months so they can get things closer to right?
Yeah, I only have experience w/ Tesla and Volvo. The latest update was to v2.0 of their software. It was a major update to Android Auto (version R). They improved their version of Autopilot. I don't use driver aids except Cruise Control so can't tell you what it did. Improved their mobile app to let you adjust charge schedule from the app. There were plenty of bug fixes too.

They are behind Tesla when it comes to features in general. But what I like is that (so far) they haven't fixed something and broken something else. Tesla is LEGENDARY for this. USB music worked perfectly for years, then in V9 or V10 they broke it (doesn't search correctly, doesn't sort correctly) and it still doesn't work right. Just now w/ our Refresh Xs you have code that is working and then after update the rear restraint errors and other problems are literally created by the update.

Tesla software development team codes like I did in Freshman Comp Sci.

Compile Program
Run Program
Fix bug
Compile Program
Run Program
Fix next bug
Lather, rinse, repeat.

That is NOT how to run a software development team.

IMO, they should slow down. For most people, a car is not a gadget that you want to spend large amounts of time learning about, tweaking, and troubleshooting. Yes, those of us who live on this board are more inclined to geek out to things. But that is not how most people view cars. They just want to get in and drive them. They don't want to get in one morning, late for work, and have an entirely new UI in front of them.

Further, they don't want to buy a brand new car and then put it in the shop for 3 days. Say what you want about dealerships, but if they were delivering cars like Tesla does, they would be out of business in no time. They have an incentive to make you happy so you'll come back. The Tesla delivery people are not incentivized to deliver good cars. I'm not taking anything away from those people - everyone I talk to at Tesla is great. But it's all about incentives. They are incentivized to get you to push the Accept button the App. That is the end for them and so they are going to do whatever they have to do to get as many people to push that button.

According to the sheet you already took delivery of your car in Feb. Is this a second one?
Not sure how the delivery flag was set. I fixed it. I got a VIN in Feb but told them to hold it and got a new VIN now in April. will likely take this one if they don't screw around with the original plaid price, free upgrade to 6 seat and FSD at $10k (all those are not reflected in the current price).