Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not realy only on Norway, this year were delivered 7 Model X, and in Dezember 385, the sheet only represents 7% of the total delivered in Norway, and they have in Stock over 100 Model X (mainly Plaid) around europe.

Now I notice that Norway prices are 10k lower than "Other europe" so one should rather go to Norway and pick up a car there? Seems odd that Tesla pricing is inconsistent. Guess a summer trip up north is looming.

Now I notice that Norway prices are 10k lower than "Other europe" so one should rather go to Norway and pick up a car there? Seems odd that Tesla pricing is inconsistent. Guess a summer trip up north is looming.

The price of the cars are different in different countries depending on the tax, so that can have a huge impact in final price.

To buy a car and bring it to your country, you need to check the taxes you have to pay, for exemple, i could go and by it in Norway, than when trying to register in Portugal, it needed to have at least 6 month and over 6.000km Otherwise, it would be needed to pay the VAT over the car price, there is 23%, so it wouldn't make sense.

If we where talkink about a used car, with over 6 month and 6.000km, it could be a nice deal (some people in Portugal are buying used Tesla in cheaper countries), its only neede to pay betweeen 250/500€ for registration.

The price of the cars are different in different countries depending on the tax, so that can have a huge impact in final price.

I'm aware of all this, but have a look at the price differences.

There are no taxes for EV:s in Norway so the X at 92.783€ (1.064.990nok) is effectively a tax free price (Plaid 106.778€ or 1.225.990nok). So when importing you will pay taxes on top of that.

Also the "Other Europe" price is before taxes (countries without Tesla shop) X at 98.990€ or Plaid at humongous 118.990€. For Plaid the price difference is roughly 12k€ before taxes (and much more after taxes).

Price in Portugal including taxes is X at 125.990€ (comparing to Norway prices 92.783€x1.23=114.123€ so 10k€ difference after taxes) and Plaid 145.990€ and comparing to Norway prices 106.778€*1.23=131.336€ which gives 13k€ price difference after taxes.

I didn't realize it was that low in Norway, ate 92783€ plus 23% VAT is 114.000€, my 2021 reservation is 116.000, but its a 7 seater, but for new orders can be interesting.

EDIT

I think you are wrong the final price is not 1.064.990, if you look on the center bottum of the site, you will see the price 1.246.440 included MVA (VAT), that means 108.679€, if we include VAT from Portugal (23%) 133.675€, more expensive than ordering it in Portugal at 125.990.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it was that low in Norway, ate 92783€ plus 23% VAT is 114.000€, my 2021 reservation is 116.000, but its a 7 seater, but for new orders can be interesting.

EDIT

I think you are wrong the final price is not 1.064.990, if you look on the center bottum of the site, you will see the price 1.246.440 included MVA (VAT), that means 108.679€, if we include VAT from Portugal (23%) 133.675€, more expensive than ordering it in Portugal at 125.990.

Good catch. The taxfree pice is correct, but yes, there seems to be some VAT in norway: VAT on electric vehicles in Norway | Eurofiscalis

Overall, it seems that price Norway is lower before tax and Norwegian VAT is half of elsewhere for the S/X.

My guess is that you wouldn't be doubly taxed when importing the car into another EEA country, one way or another. In Portugal, "Additionally, you can claim the VAT back if you’ve already paid VAT on the vehicle in another member (EU/EFTA?) state. Technical details like these are important to know when you’re making such big decisions. "

Last edited:
Good catch. The taxfree pice is correct, but yes, there seems to be some VAT in norway: VAT on electric vehicles in Norway | Eurofiscalis

Overall, it seems that price Norway is lower before tax and Norwegian VAT is half of elsewhere for the S/X.

My guess is that you wouldn't be doubly taxed when importing the car into another EEA country, one way or another. In Portugal, "Additionally, you can claim the VAT back if you’ve already paid VAT on the vehicle in another member (EU/EFTA?) state. Technical details like these are important to know when you’re making such big decisions. "
Norway is not part of EU. According this website, that means you’ll have to pay VAT again: Value added tax (VAT) when buying or selling a car abroad - Your Europe

Norway is not part of EU. According this website, that means you’ll have to pay VAT again: Value added tax (VAT) when buying or selling a car abroad - Your Europe

In such case you should arrange to get VAT refund from Norway.

There is actually an online calculator for it: Calculate your refund if you export a car (Norway)

That refund actually does not include VAT, so VAT deduction is separate, needs more investigation, maybe business VAT refund. Or maybe it is possible to buy VAT free from a car dealer for export purposes.

Related discussion here: Fritak Mva

I asked ChatGPT and it responded (paraphrasing, might be hallucination, difficult to confirm with my Norwegian skills):
  • You can buy a car from a dealer without VAT if you arrange it to be exported and have necessary documentation.
  • Businesses registered in Norway can also do it (abovementioned business VAT refund).
  • Check officials and experts how to get it right.

Last edited:
The Hoegh carriers will give you the ship name & status if you enter VIN with this link- My Cargo

Yes, thanks, saw that and that's where I filled in my VIN and got nothing. I understand the Hoegh Copenhagen is mid Atlantic right now but someone in another thread wrote that there is a another ship leaving in a couple of days so I still have hope for a late April delivery.

Reactions: lsds