Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, that's a reason why I turned down 6 seats. I will wait.
(Million dollars please)
Why does it matter? Resale should not be impacted by Model Year. Tesla changes features when they are available, not on model years.

In 2018 the change from MCU1 (very slow) to MUC2 (fast) occurred in the middle of March. Cars made one day had the old MCU and resultant slow displays, cars made the next day had MCU2 and fast displays. A few months later they dropped certain interior color combinations and changed to a new color combination. I know because these both happened to my 2018 X.

Luckily I was on the good side of this and got MCU2 and the new color combination!

Last edited:
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I have this configuration & was updated to January 😡😡😡😡. That would make it a full for me. I ordered jan 23rd…… this is bs if its accurate
The same pattern happened with the Model S deliveries. They were updated to ‘February’ and then deliveries began to those same people very shortly thereafter. January is probably an entry placeholder EDD.
Meanwhile I’m still blank so no better off than Jan folks.

I ordered December 2020

LR white/white 6 seater 20' FSD

EDD: August > December > Blank > January

I thought I was going to get the car this year because I had the spec they were producing first.
I have two MX’s on order, both blank EDD for several weeks until today. I received the ‘6 seat’ call last week but declined.

Late January LR 7 seat order- January EDD

May Plaid 7 seat order- April EDD (unchanged from original EDD)
I also have 2 MX’s on order-both 6 seat configuration with original orders.

May 2021 LR-January EDD new today, had been blank since August.

August 2021 Plaid-April EDD new today, first EDD since order.

I’ll add another data point. LR/6/FSD. Ordered in June and had a January EDD from the very beginning. It never went away even when everyone else’s was on and off the last few months.. up until 2-3 days ago when it went blank. It still is.

What does it mean? Absolutely nothing IMO. I think they’re either just screwing with us (wouldn’t put it past them) or they just assign arbitrary dates, as evidenced by so many people having Jan.

I mean look at all the previous EDDs of May, Aug, Oct, etc. It was all bs. I wouldn’t even take the EDD with a grain of salt. I’d just ignore it completely.
I hope you are right. There are still a number of blanks out there. I hope that the blanks aren’t the ones getting it before the end of the year and the January EDD‘s are actually January that would be a kick in the rocks for all those who ponied up with the enticement of getting it before the end of the year.

Well when you have 50k on the line. It’s hard to sit still and not be somewhat triggered.
Similar situation. I sold my plaid model S in June. In Missouri, we have 180 days to turn around, buy a new vehicle and apply the taxes from the first sold vehicle against the second new vehicle. That will save me a good chunk of money if this gets delivered before January 2.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Why does it matter? Resale should not be impacted by Model Year. Tesla changes features when they are available, not on model years.

In 2018 the change from MCU1 (very slow) to MUC2 (fast) occurred in the middle of March. Cars made one day had the old MCU and resultant slow displays, cars made the next day had MCU2 and fast displays. A few months later they dropped certain interior color combinations and changed to a new color combination. I know because these both happened to my 2018 X.

Luckily I was on the good side of this and got MCU2 and the new color combination!
It's all about perception. Especially to people new to Tesla. If you had the exact same vehicle (MX). One listed as 2021 and the other as 2022, most will perceive the 2022 being newer even though they could have been made 2 months apart. Something so silly, yet so real.

Oh contraire, matters for two reasons. First there are 2021's built Nov/Dec. 2020. Unless some major flaw happens with Refresh models, those should have lower resale/trade in values. Wait till KBB, Carmax and others track value for 2021's. They will lower the computer values published. Model year definitely affects values in later years.

Second reason, parts. Need seat, dash, trim or other part for your "2021 MX". When it's 2025 and you need a part, it won't be as easy. Two different platforms for 2021 model years.

I have waited almost a year so what's another month or two and the above become irrelevant.

Oh contraire, matters for two reasons. First there are 2021's built Nov/Dec. 2020. Unless some major flaw happens with Refresh models, those should have lower resale/trade in values. Wait till KBB, Carmax and others track value for 2021's. They will lower the computer values published. Model year definitely affects values in later years.

Second reason, parts. Need seat, dash, trim or other part for your "2021 MX". When it's 2025 and you need a part, it won't be as easy. Two different platforms for 2021 model years.

I have waited almost a year so what's another month or two and the above become irrelevant.

Tesla does not do traditional model years. Just because they were built in 2021 does not mean they will be 2021 model Year. I got my Model Y November 2020 and its a 2021 model year. Tesla switches their model year randomly and not at a fix date. There will be no different resale value based on the build date of Nov/Dec 2020 vs Jan 2021. Tesla makes incremental changes throughout a year so resale value can be impacted for various other reasons

Tesla does not do traditional model years. Just because they were built in 2021 does not mean they will be 2021 model Year. I got my Model Y November 2020 and its a 2021 model year. Tesla switches their model year randomly and not at a fix date. There will be no different resale value based on the build date of Nov/Dec 2020 vs Jan 2021. Tesla makes incremental changes throughout a year so resale value can be impacted for various other reasons
Either way, when I go to resell the car, I will want the later year. If you have a buyer searching for a Tesla and there are two identical cars (config, miles, etc) they are looking at with but one is a ‘21 and the other is a ‘22, they will pick the ‘22 if everything else is the same. As the seller, you won’t have the chance to sit and explain to them that it doesn’t matter. People just want stuff that seems newer and the model year is the first thing they filter on for that.

Either way, when I go to resell the car, I will want the later year. If you have a buyer searching for a Tesla and there are two identical cars (config, miles, etc) they are looking at with but one is a ‘21 and the other is a ‘22, they will pick the ‘22 if everything else is the same. As the seller, you won’t have the chance to sit and explain to them that it doesn’t matter. People just want stuff that seems newer and the model year is the first thing they filter on for that.
How would the buyer know month of production since the VIN determines the model year and I will be surprised if the VINs that come out for any deliveries in 2021 don't show 2022 model year. For my Y that I will be selling once my X arrives, since midway through the 2021 model year they changed the center console & added heated steering wheels, buyers will know I have an earlier build 2021 Y vs a later build but without those changes, the VIN will only show model year.

Personally I have had an early production X and Y and I find Tesla makes changes after the first few months of production when quality issues are ironed out (I had May 2020 Y that had too many quality issues that I traded in for a November built Y). Even though I want my X ASAP & would take one next week, logically I know its better to wait for a spring build when they get the line issues fixed and the quality increases .

How would the buyer know month of production since the VIN determines the model year and I will be surprised if the VINs that come out for any deliveries in 2021 don't show 2022 model year. For my Y that I will be selling once my X arrives, since midway through the 2021 model year they changed the center console & added heated steering wheels, buyers will know I have an earlier build 2021 Y vs a later build but without those changes, the VIN will only show model year.

Personally I have had an early production X and Y and I find Tesla makes changes after the first few months of production when quality issues are ironed out (I had May 2020 Y that had too many quality issues that I traded in for a November built Y). Even though I want my X ASAP & would take one next week, logically I know its better to wait for a spring build when they get the line issues fixed and the quality increases .
The sticker on your door has that info.