Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know they’re just EPA estimates but damn man. Really bummed to be going backwards. I don’t understand how we go from 371 (rated at least) to 348 with supposedly less weight and more efficient motors.

If I'm understanding @AlanSubie4Life correctly, the initial range numbers in recently produced cars start artificially low and there's a very high likelihood they will be manipulated to "improve" via future software updates...

• Funny
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
If I'm understanding @AlanSubie4Life correctly, the initial range numbers in recently produced cars start artificially low and there's a very high likelihood they will be manipulated to "improve" via future software updates...
I’m only aware of this possibility for Model 3 LR. Know nothing about S/X. Seems like they probably won’t change too much though the carbon-sleeved rotor ones I guess maybe they have some optimization they can do. But that would apply retroactively to the recent vehicles (such an optimization wouldn’t show in increased displayed range for older vehicles, but would result in a real range increase).

I’m a bit surprised the Model 3 LR only is going to 358. I figured it would be closer to 370, but it is true that they have been limiting it below 80kWh.

Last edited:
Oh, I do declare! They've improved the technology! That's outrageous!
I just mean that my timing has been terrible in buying right before they release a new battery capacity or dropped lower ones. Of course the technology improves but we’ve been waiting almost a year for this and it’s went backwards while the lower price Y has gone forwards.

I just mean that my timing has been terrible in buying right before they release a new battery capacity or dropped lower ones. Of course the technology improves but we’ve been waiting almost a year for this and it’s went backwards while the lower price Y has gone forwards.
Why do you assume "backwards"? The battery is smaller, so it's lighter and has some potential range impact (maybe?). It's a balancing act. Perhaps Tesla has a lot of fleet data to tell them that they've hit a sweet spot for overall usage? They might have planned software changes to improve range. Who knows? Probably Tesla.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid