Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See, that's great! I love that they offer it because clearly there are people who are interested, seems like an easy thing for them to just make an option so everyone can be happy!

I think I agree that the yoke is concerning but given the 3-6 month delay with the X vs. S, there will be ample opportunity for a test drive to see for myself. I like how it looks but I think I won't like how it feels to use to steer but I have an open mind.

For those of you looking for insight, I've pulled this from the Model S delivery thread:

Wiki - Model S Delivery Update

2021 Tesla Model S Plaid - osultan

Obviously, it'll be an adjustment. I'm hopeful it'll work out okay, although I know that Tesla is offering a round wheel as well.

can you pls explain why you say "although I know that Tesla is offering a round wheel as well". is that based on personal judgement or did I miss some announcement or something? ty!

Reactions: golferguy
can you pls explain why you say "although I know that Tesla is offering a round wheel as well". is that based on personal judgement or did I miss some announcement or something? ty!
Fair. I guess it's a personal judgement given I was told by an SA I could choose it when I go to collect it - since it seems to be still unconfirmed. Heck, really at this point they've delivered all of 22 Model S Plaids and nothing else. Let's see what happens in the upcoming weeks.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point that Tesla changes it's mind...again.

Wondering if we have any insight yet into: 1) likely battery pack size of MX LR and 2) will the LR models (MS and MX) have the carbon motors or is that just for the plaid versions? ty
Carbon is plaid only. Despite lack of technical details the weight reduction alone suggests that both models share most components with one less motor on the LR.

Carbon is plaid only. Despite lack of technical details the weight reduction alone suggests that both models share most components with one less motor on the LR.
This is one reason I haven't put an order in yet, a) tax credits aren't final and I want to do the math first and 2) I want some real-world reviews on charge rate, and IV) want to use the interior myself in-person before I make the leap. I'm not an early-adopter type I like to let others be cannon fodder in the beta machine v. human wars :)

But if early reports on charge rate are any indication, it's going to charge close to 80% faster than the latest and greatest pre-refresh 2021 packs during typical road-trip SoC charging. That's a Big Deal for a road trip. It would essentially eliminate the time difference between a gas car and electric on your typical 5-6 hour intercity stretch, accounting for the frailties of humans who need to eat and pee, and it'll never be faster to go slow. Towing charging...oh man that's a big one. That's where I think they might actually have something with Cybertruck if they ever build it, if it (and X) can get 125 towing miles back in, say, 45 minutes, that's a game change compared to towing with the previous vehicles.

But I'm not going to take their word for it on getting 45% of the pack back in 15 minutes, I'm gonna wait until people prove it to me in the wild, on the trim I want to buy, on a mass-produced version of the car, that's been in production for a couple years.

Last edited:
But for MS and MX orders pre Jan 27 2021, prices were not honored. Even increased charges for the Cream interior.
That’s because the changed the car. They have been pretty steady with not increasing your price when they do a simple price increase on options that were already on an order and just went up in price. The made actual design changes to the car so that’s why they did not honor the old price. I’m not saying they are right for doing that, but that is why it is a different situation. And they offered to refund the deposit due to this.

Reactions: Stro
Man, I really hope that a regular steering wheel is an option on the X. Seems so overkill to have a yoke on a family hauler, in fact I'd like to have to cancel my order of yoke is only option. Fingers crossed!
My thoughts exactly! Also, trying to convince my wife, who don't care one way or the other about Tesla, to spend that kind of money on a car without a steering wheel is...frustrating 😩 An option would ease the concern many of us have. Personally I don't like the look of it, it seems like a safety liability, and I'm concerned how to perform proper signaling, in the numerous roundabouts we have in Norway.

I was all for the yoke steering because I assumed its presence meant drive by wire and speed dependent ratio but Elon has confirmed mechanical steering is still being used. Now I want the wheel but that’s not an option yet. I did see a pic of the Munroney sticker with the yoke as a priced option so maybe it will be optional by the time my car is being built.

Reactions: Tdreamer
That’s because the changed the car. They have been pretty steady with not increasing your price when they do a simple price increase on options that were already on an order and just went up in price. The made actual design changes to the car so that’s why they did not honor the old price. I’m not saying they are right for doing that, but that is why it is a different situation. And they offered to refund the deposit due to this.
That's a matter of perspective. From my perspective, they allowed me to order a car they had ZERO intention of building, and I'm 100% honest in saying our decision to buy had nothing to do with the (very minimal) rumors that a refresh was coming. I'd totaled a vehicle seven weeks prior, my wife decided what she wanted, and we ordered, period. They took our money knowing full well they weren't going to build.

I was all for the yoke steering because I assumed its presence meant drive by wire and speed dependent ratio but Elon has confirmed mechanical steering is still being used. Now I want the wheel but that’s not an option yet. I did see a pic of the Munroney sticker with the yoke as a priced option so maybe it will be optional by the time my car is being built.
In this day and age, it definitely is drive-by -wire; it’s just not “linear” —that’s apparently what T is working on (progressive). It’s interesting, I was looking at the new Merc (and I’m a fan), and it’s rather large round wheel made me think of those cars from the 50s. We soon will look at round wheels as archaic, like we do with key pad Blackberrys or rotary phones, or stick shift (I miss the “feel” of the car but had to get with the program and accept “automatic transition”). Tough to imagine now, but it will become the norm before we even notice it.
My two cents.