Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you unhappy that Tesla isn’t communicating… what do you think they could say? I would understand if they don’t want to call out a specific part or supplier to avoid creating bad feelings and compounding any existing problem. I would understand if they don’t want to say they’re building cars but they’re coming out with unacceptable defects; that’s not a good look to advertise. I can understand if the production schedule is not yet sufficiently ironclad for them to give each order a specific place in line and tell me I’m number 3,421. I just have a hard time thinking what they might legitimately say other than “we’re hoping to build your vehicle by February but whether we can hold to that depends on how the production ramp progresses.”

It was a little odd to me that Rivian gave a 6-month window (which I have to imagine is an “if all goes well” scenario given where their production ramp is at) and that’s considered better than Tesla giving a specific month on the same “if all goes well” basis.

Was it better because it was an email instead of an anonymous site update? Or because they were at least vaguely apologetic about the time frame rather than just giving an impersonal date change?

Those of you unhappy that Tesla isn’t communicating… what do you think they could say? I would understand if they don’t want to call out a specific part or supplier to avoid creating bad feelings and compounding any existing problem. I would understand if they don’t want to say they’re building cars but they’re coming out with unacceptable defects; that’s not a good look to advertise. I can understand if the production schedule is not yet sufficiently ironclad for them to give each order a specific place in line and tell me I’m number 3,421. I just have a hard time thinking what they might legitimately say other than “we’re hoping to build your vehicle by February but whether we can hold to that depends on how the production ramp progresses.”

It was a little odd to me that Rivian gave a 6-month window (which I have to imagine is an “if all goes well” scenario given where their production ramp is at) and that’s considered better than Tesla giving a specific month on the same “if all goes well” basis.

Was it better because it was an email instead of an anonymous site update? Or because they were at least vaguely apologetic about the time frame rather than just giving an impersonal date change?

Literally anything.

"Hi just wanted to let you know we've updated your delivery timeline to X. Sorry for any inconvenience."

"Hello just checking in - deliveries are progressing, your delivery timeframe continues to be estimated at Y."

Instead, we just nothing with EDDs that change online with no notification and no explanation. It's impossible to plan around this because there's such a lack of communication that we don't even know how to interpret a lack of communication. Is no news good news? Bad news? Why did I get a VIN and then it disappeared? Why did my EDD shift from January to TBD, what does that mean? Oh, now it's February. Does it actually mean February, or is that a placeholder? Could you at least tell me when the EDD is updated instead of me having to manually check on the website?

*Any* communication would be an improvement over the entirely unknown guessing game and crowd sourced guestimates that we have now.

I placed an order for a $110,000 car. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect something more than me having to refresh a website and interpret cryptic delivery EDDs.

I agree, Rivian has to comunicate can you imagine them not - when they produce less than 1000 vehicles and our loosing money every day. Tesla could do much better but I believe they know they have had challenges this year that will be fixed and the time lines will come down which will allow better communication. It sucks for us durring this process but in reality if someone orders a x or s in March of next year and gets it in 3 months within a week of their estimated delivery timeline, our frustrations will be a distant memory that they wont know anything about. Watching the video of Tesla in China pump out a Model Y every 44 seconds, shows they can fix this

This is my thinking on why Tesla communication sucks vs Rivian
Tesla q3 operating cost is around 2 billion while delivering 241K cars
Rivian q3 operating cost is 775 million while delivering a handful of cars

Right now Rivian is ramping up production and they have a large staff which allows them to have more time for better communications. They have a man power to do things like this. Tesla team runs really lean so they only communicate when they are ready to deliver.

By all means, I still think this is where something Tesla can improve upon, but maybe they don't want to spend $$$ in that department so it goes straight to the bottom line for profits and such.
With Tesla’s work into AI, I think a super good and accurate communication system could be up-and-coming!

Was it better because it was an email instead of an anonymous site update? Or because they were

at least vaguely apologetic about the time frame rather than just giving an impersonal date change?
As a start that they make at least a pretense to treat their customers with respect and decency rather than appear to milk every penny possible out of them by selling variants with most expensive options first, provide repeated communications that reflect no attempt at EDD accuracy, prioritize orders (ie, CA) made many months after others to maximize quarterly numbers, etc…. These behaviors won’t hurt their bottom line for the next two years but it’s sure to later in the company’s maturity cycle.

As a start that they make at least a pretense to treat their customers with respect and decency rather than appear to milk every penny possible out of them by selling variants with most expensive options first, provide repeated communications that reflect no attempt at EDD accuracy, prioritize orders (ie, CA) made many months after others to maximize quarterly numbers, etc…. These behaviors won’t hurt their bottom line for the next two years but it’s sure to later in the company’s maturity cycle.

You'd think. I dislike the company but here I am asking for more.

We lack viable alternatives and that's not changed since my first EV (and first car period) in 2014. I chose a leaf over a model S 40kwh. I'm glad I did because that car still runs great and literally has been a dream to own.

My S is a dream to drive.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr

As others have said, it's just the simplest of communication that makes a difference, especially when you fail (not once, or twice, but now ongoing multiple times) to deliver as "promised". Silently changing delivery dates without some kind of follow up isn't good enough. We all get it that there's supply chain issues, that "production is hard", COVID, and other crap like that, but at SOME point communicating to those who are willing to pay for product that Tesla sells should earn a bit of respect - it's the same way in every single other business. Do you think Tesla isn't getting informed by it's suppliers? Do you think Tesla just sits there waiting for this stuff at some point? Do you think they just pass it off when suppliers don't deliver on time? I doubt it. What was the whole 6-seater conversion about? Is it about maximizing profit or trying to deliver with what they've got in stock?

Frankly, I'm not putting any faith in a February delivery if January tends to be about doing shipments abroad or that Tesla suddenly decides that it's going to change it's mind yet again. It's a toxic relationship that IF they can deliver will make me rethink any future Tesla related purchases.

I wished he’d tap the brake 🤦🏻‍♂️to close the door! And perhaps consider one hand-palm driving.

Agreed… such a pointless video I wonder why people like him make them… is there some way he’s making money off it? Does he just have nothing better to do with himself than make YouTube’s that are at best superficially meaningless and worse inaccurate by omission? People are weird…

Called Tesla, They unmatched me from my VIN because of the snow storm happening in WA right now. They can't transport the vehicle to WA so they are giving it to someone else that they can get it to, probably before year end. It's frustrating but I don't think I can blame them.
Oh. Interesting. I was wondering about that. I was kinda of concerned about taking delivery and driving home 100 miles in poor weather.
I’m happing to wait a few weeks if it means I can drive home in decent weather before I can get it wrapped.

I completely agree, I understand that Tesla does not know when my car will be ready and it is mostly out of their control. I have waiting for 11 months (like many of us) and I've accepted that my car will be ready when it's ready and I appreciate that Tesla is not constantly in communication with me about its projected progress. Rivian just announced that their long-range variant will not be available until 2023, which is quite a bit later than originally projected. Do I need a human to touch base with me every now and then like Rivian? No, not really... and the sales representative would probably know less than I already know from reading this forum.

Others have already commented on this, but here’s my $0.02. Literally saying anything at all would be nice. Explain what the hold up is. Is it a lack of parts still waiting to be imported? Are they having production issues they’re trying to iron out so we can all get pristine and perfect cars? What’s the plan moving forward? Sending out X Plaids? Why are there hundreds of Xs parked in Fremont while 3s and Ys are all in the delivery yard getting shipped out?

I don‘t need or care about an apology. I just want a little insight into what’s going on.

I completely agree, I understand that Tesla does not know when my car will be ready and it is mostly out of their control. I have waiting for 11 months (like many of us) and I've accepted that my car will be ready when it's ready and I appreciate that Tesla is not constantly in communication with me about its projected progress. Rivian just announced that their long-range variant will not be available until 2023, which is quite a bit later than originally projected. Do I need a human to touch base with me every now and then like Rivian? No, not really... and the sales representative would probably know less than I already know from reading this forum.
I understand that constant communication isn’t a necessity, but just a little communication would be nice. You mentioned its mostly out of Tesla’s control, but honest question, how do you know? We don’t even know what the hold up is so how can we safely say its out of their control? We’ve all seen the Fremont Flyover videos that shows tons of Xs parked around the factory. Just a simple “Hey folks, we know you’ve been waiting and a bunch of cars are almost ready, they just need a <whatever>. As soon as they come in deliveries will continue.” We all spent over $100k on a car and the only communication a lot of us have received is an arbitrary EDD that has proven to mean nothing.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 2.19.19 PM.png

Remember when this was the news, those were the days.

Been lurking for a while and figure I’d join the board, after all misery loves company.

Quick rundown of my situation. I convinced my wife to let me fulfill a childhood dream and buy a Ferrari as long as she could get a Model X. We placed our order on 02/21/21 for a Model X Plaid with FSD. Like most we were originally told May, then July then moved to October. After October we were told to prepare for delivery. That lasted a few days until it was moved to December and now February. We never got assigned a VIN.

Your originally rep got moved to a different department. We’ve called Tesla and nobody ever gets back to us. Pretty frustrating to be spending this kind of money and the company cannot give you the time of day.

The wife has wanted to cancel the order and go back to a Cayenne. I’ve convinced her to stay the course and that in the end it will be worthwhile. Meanwhile we’ve been renting a car for over 6 months now to get her and the kiddos around.

Welcome to the group! You and I are in the same boat (except for the Ferrari 😜) Ordered the exact same date and had EDD changed exact same pattern. Renting over 5 months as well. My family moved back to US while I am still overseas. I visit every time aligned with EDD hoping to pickup the car. Next visit February!

Reactions: Yakkodot

I’m willing to put money on Rivian timeline slipping further as they ramp.

Now that my company is getting acquired, I’m starting my new gig search. With my luck, I’ll move somewhere and due to my “possible new region” my EDD will get pushed further back. I’d just take a break from work until I get my new MX but at this rate, that means retirement as it feels it’s that far from ever happening.

Reactions: lexus26 and lsds