Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too much gloom n doom. Chip companies are ramping up production. Once they start there will be a gusher of chips. Once it gets going all models will be makeable no problem. I'm thinking of cancelling my January order to get further down the line in deliveries. My reasoning is that Tesla is always iterating their production lines and that perhaps that the ones that are delivered later next year will be made after kinks are worked out.

Am curious to hear points of view on this strategy.

Too much gloom n doom. Chip companies are ramping up production. Once they start there will be a gusher of chips. Once it gets going all models will be makeable no problem. I'm thinking of cancelling my January order to get further down the line in deliveries. My reasoning is that Tesla is always iterating their production lines and that perhaps that the ones that are delivered later next year will be made after kinks are worked out.

There’s always improvements coming with Tesla so you could apply this strategy to any model any time. With all the recent price increases, could also be an expensive decision. There’s also no benefit to cancelling, you can just postpone delivery when the time comes if you prefer.

Also, I hope you’re right about chip availability, I haven’t heard one way or the other.

Well, I just got the following unsolicited correspondence from my local service center.

“Hi Mark, Tesla (SC Name) here, we just wanted to touch base about your Model X order! As of right now we are still waiting on production to commence building Model X's at the factory, as soon as we get any updates we will ensure our local team will be in touch!

Thank you for your patience and if you have any questions please feel free to respond to this email or you can reach out to Tesla……”

I don’t know but it doesn’t sound like any manufacturing is imminent to me. I do appreciate the communication though

Well, I just got the following unsolicited correspondence from my local service center.

“Hi Mark, Tesla (SC Name) here, we just wanted to touch base about your Model X order! As of right now we are still waiting on production to commence building Model X's at the factory, as soon as we get any updates we will ensure our local team will be in touch!

Thank you for your patience and if you have any questions please feel free to respond to this email or you can reach out to Tesla……”

I don’t know but it doesn’t sound like any manufacturing is imminent to me. I do appreciate the communication though
Give me the armrest and I'll take back anything bad I ever said about this launch

There's a lot in flux without a lot of news coming from the chip manufacturers involved. I know that one in particular had a fire that affected chip production that's only now getting back up and running (Renesis). How severe the backlog, how quickly they can get back to full-tilt and whether they're also trying to expand to fulfill backorders are all unanswered questions. Whether other chip products could work? Dunno. I would imagine there's other hold ups too - including airbags and such.

What would be nice, especially given the long-haul many of us have waited, would be a timely update of what is going on.

Reactions: Elixir

Don't make a decision you might regret come December. You can always cancel later, but you can never get your place back in line. Nothing wrong with letting it ride and delaying delivery.

At this point, It feels like early 2022 is most likely the real delivery date. For any other Canadians, is anyone aware of the possible 20% luxury vehicle tax that might go in to effect in January 2022? If this comes to pass, I may have to cancel my order. Super frustrating when we can't get a real delivery date. I can't decide if I should just gamble and hope for a delivery before end of the year, or just buy a used one now to avoid the possibility of incurring a 20% luxury tax.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Don't make a decision you might regret come December. You can always cancel later, but you can never get your place back in line. Nothing wrong with letting it ride and delaying delivery.
Agreed. Also, the price is going nowhere but up. We are already $5,000 under the current price.

My delivery date shows January now and I assume that just means Q1 2022. Based on our 2 previous purchases I think that means late Feb or more likely March. We live 15 miles from the factory and they tend to do local deliveries later in the quarter since the shipping time is minutes.

At this point, It feels like early 2022 is most likely the real delivery date. For any other Canadians, is anyone aware of the possible 20% luxury vehicle tax that might go in to effect in January 2022? If this comes to pass, I may have to cancel my order. Super frustrating when we can't get a real delivery date. I can't decide if I should just gamble and hope for a delivery before end of the year, or just buy a used one now to avoid the possibility of incurring a 20% luxury tax.
I agree it's confounding. It's unclear exactly how the tax will be applied - whether it's 20% for the amount above $100K, or will it be a lesser percentage across the entire amount (odds are that they'll be roughly the same). I guess the answer is to wait until after September 20th (or whenever the vote count is completed) and see how things change. The only guarantee is to get used and be happy with it - just note that right now the older Xs are selling at a premium because of the lack of new inventory.