Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reduction in range for the refresh could be due to the installation of two more powerful motors. As usual, when Tesla changes out major components like batteries or motors, they usually are conservative in their ratings. It is not unusual that after getting some additional data from the field they may release a software update releasing more range.

This is all because there are not enough chargers and charging isn’t fast enough. If they were as prevalent as normal gas stations then the need for 400-500 mile ranges is much less. It appears to me that this is the path that Tesla is taking. Their plan is to rapidly increasing chargers by opening up the available customers to non-Teslas. They are also clearly working to increase charging speed. They don’t seem to be working much on increasing range.
Very good point. Tesla's priority is to sell as many EVs as possible quickly -- for Elon, that's the biggest driver for Tesla stock price to go up. Since battery production is the biggest limiting factor, it makes sense to use as few batteries as possible while keeping vehicle ranges competitive and useable.

Reactions: Fulkth
It's my first post here. Long time lurker though. I ordered my white exterior/black interior 6 seater 20" Long Range Model X on December 2020. I think I saw someone posted that he got VIN and he ordered on January 2021. How come I didn't get VIN nor any updates from Tesla? Is there certain configuration that will be delivered first?
The person who got the recent VIN is in New York. There's a theory going around that Tesla might prioritize east coast deliveries at first, but there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason to any of their behavior.

The reduction in range for the refresh could be due to the installation of two more powerful motors. As usual, when Tesla changes out major components like batteries or motors, they usually are conservative in their ratings. It is not unusual that after getting some additional data from the field they may release a software update releasing more range.
I agree. Since the motors are new, they are still fine-tuning software to optimize battery usage. Once they figure out they can probably increase the range. Historically that's what happened --- ranges got boosted after a new software update. They had squeezed 10-20 miles out before. They can probably do it again with MX.

The person who got the recent VIN is in New York. There's a theory going around that Tesla might prioritize east coast deliveries at first, but there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason to any of their behavior.
Funny enough, when I spoke to Tesla last week they said the exact opposite of this. Focus was near the factory and west coast until December. Lol

Funny enough, when I spoke to Tesla last week they said the exact opposite of this. Focus was near the factory and west coast until December. Lol
It makes sense to deliver to the east coast at the beginning/middle of the quarter since it takes some time to get here. When it's close to quarter-end, they'll focus on delivering to nearby areas because Tesla wants to jack up the delivery volume -- Elon wants to see his net worth to become twice of Bezo's by the year-end :)

Reactions: Elixir
This is all because there are not enough chargers and charging isn’t fast enough. If they were as prevalent as normal gas stations then the need for 400-500 mile ranges is much less. It appears to me that this is the path that Tesla is taking. Their plan is to rapidly increasing chargers by opening up the available customers to non-Teslas. They are also clearly working to increase charging speed. They don’t seem to be working much on increasing range.
Also, more people are installing chargers or at least the infrastructure in their homes since no matter what car they buy today, in the future, it is likely to be an EV.

For example, my neighbor needed to upgrade his panel as part of a remodel and installed a dedicated 60A breaker for a future charger. He is an F-150 driver and sees himself buying an F-150 EV in a few years when he upgrades.

Reactions: neo1738
For what it's worth , Mountain Pass sells a comfort coilover set that's supposed to really transform the Y's ride

Also, all the signs seem to point to Y/3 getting an air suspension option eventually, which will probably be paired with adaptive dampers. Damping is what dictates ride more than anythign esle, and the Y Long Range dampers seem tuned to sell Model X's, heh

I actually thought the Y Performance I drove on the 21's rode better than the Logn Range I drove on the 19's. Performance shock tuning sometimes results in a better perceived ride because it shuts down oscillations faster, so maybe that's it
I'm glad you said this. When we test drove a Model Y Performance, I thought it was okay over the bumps. When our Y LR came in, I thought the ride was worse somehow. I'm still mulling over an aftermarket suspension to see if it can be smoothed out without necessarily losing the handling.

Biggest disappointment is that the range of the Model X isn't as good as the outgoing one.

I ordered on Feb 24th and my reservation number is11456. Is there a way to tell how many reservations are between you and me?
No idea, but it is not just based on RN. Someone who ordered after me got their car before me and people who ordered before me have not received a VIN yet. It's supposed be based on some combination of configuration, location, order date, etc, but nobody really knows how it works.

Again, I very much doubt the real-world range of the new X is going to be significantly worse than the outgoing model. All the anecdotes from Long Range S point to the opposite being true. Ratings are just numbers on a page and I would expect real-world range to be significantly better, and real-world includes fast-charging when you're talking about road trips, a thing the new X will do much, much faster than the old one.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
No idea, but it is not just based on RN. Someone who ordered after me got their car before me and people who ordered before me have not received a VIN yet. It's supposed be based on some combination of configuration, location, order date, etc, but nobody really knows how it works.
I'm in Maryland. Original 6 seat order (Red/Black/20"/FSD), placed on Feb 28, and my EDD is also January but this is new today:

Estimated delivery: January
->Delivery timing will be available soon

i have ascended

Attachments

• Tesla.jpeg
    Tesla.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 91