Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you think that prioritizing customers who spent more and provide higher margins even if they just ordered a month ago, versus someone who has been waiting close to a year is normal practice? I get that they've been doing it for a long time, but that still doesn't make it right. It's not illegal but it's definitely shady and will come back to bite them once competition catches up and people get tired of their little schtick.
You know what's missing? COMMUNICATIONS...

They should publish their intent on the order page - even use it as a selling point: We process orders based on value - Want your car sooner, order it with options and you will see the estimated delivery date change accordingly. If they said that upfront - you would not feel gipped.

Another point you do bring up: Their logistics / production planning needs to consider the time gap between new orders and old orders. What I mean is they can't just keep the the low priced orders hanging on forever... If Tesla falls behind, then they need to delay new orders to allow the process to catch up to some degree (let's say no order shall be longer than 9 months - regardless of what option that customer ordered.)

Finally, given Tesla's delivery performance and ongoing inflation uncertainties, they should stop locking the car price with order placement (It will now become just a reservation holder), price should be locked at some point just prior to VIN assignment at the then advertised price - This will stop some of the odd behaviors by both the buyers and the seller (Tesla). PS: I would not like this idea for myself - but I do think it might improve their business practices..

Last edited:
... . I am sure they have very smart folks in logistics.

They do???? Really???? Must be the same people that estimate our EDDs... Oh, and can build the absolutely most sophisticated set of electronics on wheels in the entire planet - but can't seem to locate / build and install seats! Otherwise, these guys are just off the chart geniuses!!!

So you think that prioritizing customers who spent more and provide higher margins even if they just ordered a month ago, versus someone who has been waiting close to a year is normal practice? I get that they've been doing it for a long time, but that still doesn't make it right. It's not illegal but it's definitely shady and will come back to bite them once competition catches up and people get tired of their little schtick.
Everyone else does this too though. Rivian, ford, GM, Lucid. Check which models get delivered first - always the highest margin low volume ones.

The only reason tesla confused people this time is they delayed the Plaid for a few months and we saw LR 6 seat go out first. Now the plaid is ready so they started building all Plaids. They’re being totally consistent with how they’ve always been (and every other auto manufacturer including all the new EV makers).

Do we all like that they do this? No. Is it the reality of how nearly every consumer product is sold? Yes.

Last edited:
That was my point. If they move the the lions share of Model Y to Austin, theoretically there will be space available for more X. In the quarterly conference call, Elon said domestic Model Y would coming out of Austin in the next month or two. Again, I am mostly making this stuff up, but I expect there will always be Y and 3 production in Fremont. They have International markets to fill. Fremont is closer to International shipping, beats me. I am sure they have very smart folks in logistics.
Doesn't China now, and Germany soon(?) target the International markets or at least Asia and Europe?

Reactions: Stro and Bigly
Doesn't China now, and Germany soon(?) target the International markets or at least Asia and Europe?
I don’t think Elon has ever indicated Tesla would shut down model Y production at Fremont. I think it has always been Giga Texas is “in addition to” Fremont and intended for east coast and central orders. Cheaper logistics costs (for tesla) to deliver when the factory is closer to the customer.

I don’t think Elon has ever indicated Tesla would shut down model Y production at Fremont. I think it has always been Giga Texas is “in addition to” Fremont and intended for east coast and central orders. Cheaper logistics costs (for tesla) to deliver when the factory is closer to the customer.
My comment was in response to the idea that Fremont would be kept for International orders.

I could see Fremont being entirely shut down. Facilities and labor costs, environmental rules, and the aging plant infrastructure (some is from the 70s when GM/Toyota ran the place) are all factors

Everyone else does this too though. Rivian, ford, GM, Lucid. Check which models get delivered first - always the highest margin low volume ones.

The only reason tesla confused people this time is they delayed the Plaid for a few months and we saw LR 6 seat go out first. Now the plaid is ready so they started building all Plaids. They’re being totally consistent with how they’ve always been (and every other auto manufacturer including all the new EV makers).

Do we all like that they do this? No. Is it the reality of how nearly every consumer product is sold? Yes.

Right but they consider themselves the auto industry disruptors.... You can't tout that you are "different" if you employ the same tactics as the scummy legacy auto makers.... Can't have it both ways... Either own it or stop making yourselves seem like martyrs who are shaking up the industry for a greater cause.

Reactions: jbrowdy and sorka
In some way, if Tesla plans to honor old pricing, doesn't Tesla want to move older orders off their books sooner?
In a way, they are propagating debt at the rate of "inflation" and future price increases. $98k two years ago is $98*(1.04^2) = $106k today <= cost of MX configured today TDD in 2023... :).

I hope they have an entire logistics team working the cost to re-tool Freemont (if needed) for configuration management, debt propagation and the future pricing of X, S, etc...

a thread of PURE conjecture

Last edited:
You know what's missing? COMMUNICATIONS...

They should publish their intent on the order page - even use it as a selling point: We process orders based on value - Want your car sooner, order it with options and you will see the estimated delivery date change accordingly. If they said that upfront - you would not feel gipped.

Another point you do bring up: Their logistics / production planning needs to consider the time gap between new orders and old orders. What I mean is they can't just keep the the low priced orders hanging on forever... If Tesla falls behind, then they need to delay new orders to allow the process to catch up to some degree (let's say no order shall be longer than 9 months - regardless of what option that customer ordered.)

Finally, given Tesla's delivery performance and ongoing inflation uncertainties, they should stop locking the car price with order placement (It will now become just a reservation holder), price should be locked at some point just prior to VIN assignment at the then advertised price - This will stop some of the odd behaviors by both the buyers and the seller (Tesla). PS: I would not like this idea for myself - but I do think it might improve their business practices..
I was fine with that right up until you say "stop locking the car price with order placement". If Tesla intends on selling vehicles in a timely manner, it shouldn't matter. Don't forget that they raised the price for unfulfilled orders initiated before the refresh announcement - at a slight discount, so they have changed it because of the situation - and changed it again for orders around last June. Obviously, this pandemic has thrown a major wrench into the works but I think the key with Tesla is to do more mule testing and even more change planning. That is apparent with the S/X refresh since that has not gone smoothly at all. 2 months planned/announced to over a year to get the Model X production up and running (somewhat skittish) - and it still seems like a mess looking at the test track. I suspect that there's been behind-the-scenes changes at Fremont although the production process changes I don't rightly know about. Does the S/X come with the 1 piece castings? Did they add robots to the process? Did they change/add/remove processes? Are there parts issues (airbags or other components)? There's software issues too. My SA told me that they're doing final cold weather testing for the Canadian release - possibly fallout from the 3/Y heat pump issues?

Actually Tesla is doing EXACTLY what they said they were going to do, and what they have always done in the past. The most expensive higher margin units are being delivered first. 6 passenger Plaid and LR. After that, the 7 passenger units, and finally the 5 passenger. The only thing a little different this time around is they completely removed the 5 and 7 passenger Plaid from thy product line. But they did step up and offer folks the chance to change to a 6, for free. Which is oddly generous of them.

Absolutely normal practice. I am in line for a 5 myself, and see nothing unusual here at all.
actually they first shipped mostly LR's

Reactions: groundy
Ordered my MX LR on March 1 and the current EDD is March. Thinking I might like the Plaid better, I ordered one in November and the EDD has always been July. Today I check and suddenly the MXP could be here in 2 weeks. I really wanted to drive the MX LR for awhile to figure out if I really wanted to spend the extra for the Plaid. No VIN, so I'm assuming this is not happening, but it is Tesla, so anything could happen.

Reactions: Beacher#8
FWIW - I ordered in June, Plaid/White/White/20"/FSD/6-seat. Was just assigned a VIN and a Feb 17-21 delivery window this morning. It's on its way to the DC area, but I am enjoying my Model S Plaid so much I'm actually debating whether to accept delivery or put it on hold and decide later whether I really want the X.
keep it and drive em on alternate days. The door closers will start speaking to you.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr