Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was enjoying a nice breakfast at a local restauraunt when I saw a new model X pull up out front. I got to speak briefly with the owner when he came inside. Says he had one of the first ones (LR) delivered to Washington state. Same color (MSM/Cream) that I ordered. I asked If he had any issues with quality and he said he had the faulty speed sensor issue that ultimately wouldn't let his car drive and he had to have it towed. But otherwise, he was very happy with the car and told me I would enjoy mine whenever my 5 seater arrived. It was nice to hear the words of encouragement as I am in the wait for the long haul. It is also very nice to see fellow forum peers get new VINs as well. Hang in there 5 and 7 seaters, our day will come!
I’ll be optimistic when we get reliable reports of deliveries of 5/7 seaters. We’re not there yet.

For those who have gotten a VIN, do you just notice it when you checked your app or did you get a text? Also curious for VINners, what time of day did you get your VIN (early AM? Evening?) trying to see if there is a pattern of when they assign them.
Here’s how mine went:

No texts, emails or calls from Tesla. Each change showed up in the app during my morning app check-in.

Mon 2/21: EDD July —> Mar 9-31
Wed 2/23: VIN and EDD = Mar 11-15
Sat 2/26: EDD = Mar 7-13

Called Tesla today just to see if I could get any more info. The super nice rep said the last check in of my car it was on the West Coast but that it was moving (?) and the SC ETA is March 10. Also my car’s birthday is Feb 17.

I feel like this is actually going to happen.

Actually, the way Tesla seems to be running things you might be able to put in an order and get it right away if you’re willing to get all the high-end bells and whistles and pay top dollar. Seems how they’re handling the Model X roll out.
I don't mind waiting.. Only option I chose was white seats.. White exterior is great for the Florida heat and the 20" wheels give you more range and range is a very very important thing for me..
I also went with the 19" Gemini wheels on my Model Y for the range.

For those who have gotten a VIN, do you just notice it when you checked your app or did you get a text? Also curious for VINners, what time of day did you get your VIN (early AM? Evening?) trying to see if there is a pattern of when they assign them.
Mine was assigned on a Wednesday at 2:36 PM CST according to text. I was on a conference call and didn’t notice it. When I got off the conference call and noticed it, I logged into my account online and app, and both had it as well. May have appeared simultaneously.

Lately I’ve seen a lot of people waking up in the morning to VINs in their app. I don’t know if maybe they’re doing an overnight batch job to assign them.

Mine just showed up in the app. Was updated overnight and showed the first time I checked in the morning.

Didn’t receive a text until it was time to schedule delivery.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
You are correct if using the gen 2 connector. I was working under the assumption that folks would pick up a gen 1 or another solution that will max them out at 40….. but you’re probably right most people will just use what comes with the car….
I use the 40amp capable 14-50 corded mobile connector, cheaper to have one of these for visits to several family homes rather than installing wall connector at each. At my main residence I use a 60amp Wall connector.

Another long time lurker and first time poster. My April 2021 LR X (Blue/Ebony) was just assigned a vin with a delivery date in ~2 weeks.

Order RN115027691
Vin 7SASCBE5XNF334179

A few questions about the vin:

Is this a ‘21 or ‘22 model year?
What is the approximate build date?
Based on the build date - will my MX have matrix headlights, Elon vision (or radar) and where will the charge port be located (driver or passenger side)?

Another long time lurker and first time poster. My April 2021 LR X (Blue/Ebony) was just assigned a vin with a delivery date in ~2 weeks.

Order RN115027691
Vin 7SASCBE5XNF334179

A few questions about the vin:

Is this a ‘21 or ‘22 model year?
What is the approximate build date?
Based on the build date - will my MX have matrix headlights, Elon vision (or radar) and where will the charge port be located (driver or passenger side)?

2022. I don’t think you can determine official build date from VIN.

Build date is stamped on car.

You might be able to determine build date by finding someone with a very close VIN as yours, who knows their build date.

You could also call Tesla and ask for build date.

Also, all cars (NA) have charge port on drivers side.

Reactions: cjkosh
I'm considering ditching FSD on my X now that the radar has been removed. Anyone else? The reports from owners just seem like it's a complete waste of money without radar, and Tesla has yet to prove that vision-only can ever actually work.
Actually the reason they're deactivating the radar is because of noise from the radar that causing problems interacting with the cameras. Because no one has totally figured out full FSD yet in keeping mine and giving tesla the benefit of doubt.

I think it’s profit margin and all the points you’ve made. But in my particular situation the price of my car is $87,000 before taxes and fees. They’re currently selling the exact same car for $105,000. Every new order for a Plaid six seat configuration is being filled in weeks not years while my order lingers in a backlog. Why would you take limited supplies parts to make the cheap car while you can make a hell of a lot more money on new orders. It’s good customer service to do so…. But then again customer service is not Tesla strong suit.
I currently have two plaid orders. One I made in January and a long range I switched to plaid (ODD 1.19.21). Right now I wish for me, that profit margin is all they think about and you guys were right. Then I'd have my car in my greedy little hands. Otherwise, it's all a bunch of just, talk.

Reactions: BamaATL