Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice! I was wondering if lowering links would start showing up for all the refresh X folks. UPP says you have to have 22" wheels for their lowering blocks.. lol wtf? I'm gonna want my X to look as much as a sedan as possible and I think lowering it really helps in that regard. Probably gonna be my 1st mod after PPF.

What ride height setting is that in the first and second pic?
You get an alignment?
Any issues?

Manual doesn't list a limit.
Both set to low ride height… no alignment it’s riding nice and my mechanic said to give it a thousand miles or so then bring it in and if the camber or anything needs adjustment based off tire wear and how the ride is feeling we can do it then. He also said there seemed to be plenty of ability for camber adjustment which I’m pretty sure wasn’t available on the older Xs.. could be wrong

What did you do for your camber????????
Mechanic said it’s fine for now but if I want to adjust it after driving it for a while to minimize tire wear that there seems to be plenty of ability to do so with the way the X camber is set up.. I don’t know much about cars so I may be quoting him off a little lol.. it looks good and rides better than before so I’ll leave it unless my tires start to get torn apart

I requested to change my Model X refresh color from Grey to Blue via email.

Jorge replied back saying
Thank you for reaching out. Before submitting your request please acknowledge that design changes may impact your estimated delivery date. There is no way to find out how the estimated delivery date will impacted or no guarantee holding your place in line.

My current estimate delivery date for 7 seater Model X is July, are there chances I will lose the spot in the line.

Order date 2/1/2021.

Did anyone who asked to change any config got this reply and went ahead and still changed the config???
As @gglockner said, that is boilerplate. The only way your delivery date is if your current config was about to be scheduled for a production run and then you switch it to one that had just completed. In your case, I have not read anything that 7 seater production is anywhere close to being started. It looks like 5 seaters are starting next. So I am not a Tesla employee and I am making an educated guess, but I do not think a color change will impact your delivery date.

Reactions: EV3_
Mechanic said it’s fine for now but if I want to adjust it after driving it for a while to minimize tire wear that there seems to be plenty of ability to do so with the way the X camber is set up.. I don’t know much about cars so I may be quoting him off a little lol.. it looks good and rides better than before so I’ll leave it unless my tires start to get torn apart

Before I comment on that response, can you post your alignment sheet after the lowering kit was installed? You DID check the alignment, right?

Reactions: croman
Can you share how you are doing a 2 month hold? When I called to put a hold on mine in Feb I was told I only got 1 30-day hold.

Since I was clearly inept, the delivery people probably put me in the special VIN delivery pile. I hadn't even had a chance to pull on the seats of the car and really cement that dumbass rep.

I haven't had the VIN pulled from my app -- the delivery center emailed me and I've been able to save time now by emailing them about everything instead of waiting on hold. Once they pull my VIN I'm sure I'll see how bad the wait will be. They assured me I wouldn't match for 1 to 6 weeks even without a hold, so it might not be a formal hold. I just suggested, and they agreed, that we wait a while for me to get everything in hand because I don't control the mail or the DMV (or Tesla's delivery schedule). Hopefully the matrix headlights come out before July 1 otherwise I am fine with the current headlights and don't want to wait beyond July (1+ year from order).

Nice seems pretty low, do you plan on adding aftermarket wheels. I will be doing the same. I have 22" vossens that is ready to go on once I get the car. Any ride issues?
Yea, not 22s tho I like the ride quality of 20s much better and the ease of mind for the pot holes.. just want rims that are more open to show off the custom brakes and gloss black.. nah ride feels better honestly but that could just be me mentally wanting it to feel better haha

Reactions: DelPhonic1 and R6MX
I requested to change my Model X refresh color from Grey to Blue via email.

Jorge replied back saying
Thank you for reaching out. Before submitting your request please acknowledge that design changes may impact your estimated delivery date. There is no way to find out how the estimated delivery date will impacted or no guarantee holding your place in line.

My current estimate delivery date for 7 seater Model X is July, are there chances I will lose the spot in the line.

Order date 2/1/2021.

Did anyone who asked to change any config got this reply and went ahead and still changed the config???
I did!

Reactions: gglockner
I think what has happened is that you have a combination of the following:

1. Actual below average initial build quality from Tesla in the early years. It's probably up to average now, but the reputation was established early on.
2. An enthusiast community that shares all of their experiences on this forum and others.
3. Above-average intelligence and enthusiasm of the Tesla clientele.
4. New concepts and designs that aren't yet well-established.
5. A young and inexperienced company.

These indeed do combine into a self-reinforcing behavior. The buyers see that others had below-average experiences, so to protect themselves they scrutinize closer than buyers of other vehicles. Since there will always be some flaws, then those flaws get found. Then those flaws get posted for all to see, and the process repeats.

One person here had some missing seat bolts. So what's happening now? Everyone is checking for missing seat bolts. The actual rate of missing seat bolts is probably no higher for Tesla than for any other manufacturer, but because of the information sharing and community enthusiasm, the resultant behavior is a lot different than what would happen with a different car manufacturer.

Essentially, Tesla's build mistakes combined with the desirability of the cars has "trained" the buyers into this behavior.
I'm in disagreement a lot of this.

4 - Concepts and designs are what drew most of us to Tesla - they are on the forefront and we've accepted certain realities that come with pushing the envelope.
5 - Young and inexperienced. No. Tesla has now been around for almost 20 years. Although it's grown significantly, particularly in the past 5-6 years, it's also got plenty of staff and management who have been in the industry much longer than that. This does, partially coincide with point 4, as it's apparent that production processes are also cutting edge (wobbling into bleeding edge with regards to the Model X). It is particularly naive to have put forth that all the changes that occurred in 2020/2021 would be done in a couple of months which Musk acknowledges, however, with all the seasoned management why wasn't a more prudent timeline established - ANYTIME since the initial targets? Clearly something is amiss.

So far as the missing seat bolt - that's but one component that should have been caught by inspections especially by QA. There's a myriad of other issues that have shown up consistently that hasn't been caught at various stages up until the actual delivery that should have been rectified before delivery was pushed forward. Many of the problems are only what we can see and who knows what's underneath that?

So far as "trained" buyers - yeah, because it's consistent enough to warrant it. Although my own personal deliveries have gone fairly well, there was also some glaring problems that were easily seen from afar (the driver's side rocker panel on mine was half off - it's next to impossible to miss it). You shouldn't discount the issues.

Reactions: groundy
Interesting point: if Tesla improved quality and reduced the cost of rework at the service centers, it would allow them to improve profitability, lower the sales price, or a combination of both.
They cannot forever depend on deliver first and fix later policy. This could be one reason Tesla doesn’t work with JD owner satisfaction survey especially during the first 100 days of ownership. The score would be sugar.

I just (today) got assigned a 2022 VIN and 03/25 - 04/09 EDD (RN1159xxxxx, Oct 2021 order, Fremont DC, MXP, blue) down from July 2022 yesterday, and had a quick q on the invoice:

Our original order was a 7 seater, and like everyone else, got the call and switched to the 6 seater—but the 6 seater price seems to be present on the invoice with no discount—is this similar to what other folks are experiencing? It's down as:

MX: $84,990.00
Plaid: $41,500.00 (should be $38.5k, no? original +$35k, +$3.5k for 7 seats?)
[...color, fees, taxes]

- CA Clean Fuel ($750), - deposit ($250)

(or are they charging full whack for the 6 seater "upgrade", and the salesperson on the phone was wrong in saying the original price would be honored?)

I just (today) got assigned a 2022 VIN and 03/25 - 04/09 EDD (RN1159xxxxx, Oct 2021 order, Fremont DC, MXP, blue) down from July 2022 yesterday, and had a quick q on the invoice:

Our original order was a 7 seater, and like everyone else, got the call and switched to the 6 seater—but the 6 seater price seems to be present on the invoice with no discount—is this similar to what other folks are experiencing? It's down as:

MX: $84,990.00
Plaid: $41,500.00 (should be $38.5k, no? original +$35k, +$3.5k for 7 seats?)
[...color, fees, taxes]

- CA Clean Fuel ($750), - deposit ($250)

(or are they charging full whack for the 6 seater "upgrade", and the salesperson on the phone was wrong in saying the original price would be honored?)
I believe you only get a discount if you asked for it and got it in writing. Also it'll only show up 72 hours before delivery.

I haven't had the VIN pulled from my app -- the delivery center emailed me and I've been able to save time now by emailing them about everything instead of waiting on hold. Once they pull my VIN I'm sure I'll see how bad the wait will be. They assured me I wouldn't match for 1 to 6 weeks even without a hold, so it might not be a formal hold. I just suggested, and they agreed, that we wait a while for me to get everything in hand because I don't control the mail or the DMV (or Tesla's delivery schedule). Hopefully the matrix headlights come out before July 1 otherwise I am fine with the current headlights and don't want to wait beyond July (1+ year from order).
Ok, that is consistent. When I put my order on hold in mid-Feb, the VIN disappeared within a few days but the EDD stayed as mid-Feb through mid-March until my 30-day hold expired last week. Now I have the standard July EDD. I expect to be matched in May since it's West Coast now for EOQ, East Coast in April for BOQ, and midwest for MOQ. So I will try to place another hold in order to get the new headlights but if they won't let me then I'll see what shape the car is in. I don't want to have to eat the price hike by cancelling and reordering. Though if the car quality is bad and I reject that could bump me into new headlights. Though if the car quality is great I will probably take it vs rolling the dice.