Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a relatively casual observer of this thread, and in reading about all of the anger and grief that so many here have written about; I just have to ask why the Model X was ordered in the first place with all of these concerns? Or why were existing orders not canceled where they appear to result in so much anxiousness and nervousness? I’m not criticizing anyone; just trying to understand why so many people here are sticking with Tesla despite all of the expressed concerns. I’ve had a favorable experience with my 2020 Model 3 LR, which led to my ordering of my Model X LR almost 12 months ago, but I’m not sure I would have ordered it if I had experienced the issues others have expressed here. Despite the wait, I’m excited for my MXLR and looking forward to delivery. Some day.

As a relatively casual observer of this thread, and in reading about all of the anger and grief that so many here have written about; I just have to ask why the Model X was ordered in the first place with all of these concerns? Or why were existing orders not canceled where they appear to result in so much anxiousness and nervousness? I’m not criticizing anyone; just trying to understand why so many people here are sticking with Tesla despite all of the expressed concerns. I’ve had a favorable experience with my 2020 Model 3 LR, which led to my ordering of my Model X LR almost 12 months ago, but I’m not sure I would have ordered it if I had experienced the issues others have expressed here. Despite the wait, I’m excited for my MXLR and looking forward to delivery. Some day.

because if you want an EV and want the size of an X, there is limited alternatives right now. Most things are fixable by Tesla or willing to put up with relative to alternative vehicles. Def not looking to get an ICE even before gas prices are where they are at now.

I have 2 Rivian R1S orders as well as Lucid but they are going to have their own issues too. THe traditional automakers offerings are just a compromise from these full on non-legacy startup EV companies. Lucid especially has cool tech in terms of efficiency...but their looks suck. I would love if the new Audi Avant 6 concept used Lucid battery and motor tech. That would be a great car

I am mighty troubled by the lack of consensus on phantom braking. Is it an AP-with-FSD beta issue only? Is it an AP-without-FSD issue? Is it just a "you didn't calibrate adequately" issue?

If basic TACC has problems, that to me would be a total showstopper. My driving is mostly either 6-lane interstate, or else fairly rural two-lane roads, and on both I'm fine with steering but expect the car to handle throttle and braking.

I assume when inappropriate braking is expected, like when approaching a merge, I can just put my foot on the throttle to override, the way TACC works in my previous cars?

I 100% agree!!!! I think everyone with a model X LR ordered before say May, should cancel their order now!!! If you all strike back at the Tesla Mothership, that will teach them and they will listen!!!!

....and I can get my model X sooner with you all out the way. 💪

I am mighty troubled by the lack of consensus on phantom braking. Is it an AP-with-FSD beta issue only? Is it an AP-without-FSD issue? Is it just a "you didn't calibrate adequately" issue?

If basic TACC has problems, that to me would be a total showstopper. My driving is mostly either 6-lane interstate, or else fairly rural two-lane roads, and on both I'm fine with steering but expect the car to handle throttle and braking.

I assume when inappropriate braking is expected, like when approaching a merge, I can just put my foot on the throttle to override, the way TACC works in my previous cars?
My experience with a 2021 M3 is TACC works acceptable on highway but on two lane roads it is not usable. Even worse on two lane roads at night. Service was unable to make any progress and basically said wait for a software update. I asked for a bypass to be able to convert to traditional cruise control and was told that will not happen. There was no debate that in these conditions and others the vision is not ready.

I guess it's all a matter of point of view. The whole being in "awe of Tesla" thing has faded for me. I don't own stock and I am simply a customer.
Having dealt with Tesla Energy and now Tesla Automotive there seems to be an arrogance within the management. It's almost like, they treat me and others like we should be grateful we are allowed to buy their products. That we as customers should always accommodate their needs and adjust our lives accordingly.

I am forced to ignore my 9-5 work (which I need to make my monthly payments) in my efforts to make their end of Q1 delivery date. Phone calls, text messages, the repeated threats if we don't have this Information by Friday 3/25 we will release your VIN to the next customer. I am scheduled to pick up on 3/31 what's the fricking rush? The rush is Insurance... If I don't have what they want, when they want, they still need time to work with the next person to take delivery before EOD 3/31. This is 100% about them. I, the customer do not matter. There is always another one just behind me.

Here is one of several examples, I need to get them an IRS form for my business EIN. You must call the IRS and request a FAX of your EIN confirmation. I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to reach the IRS and finally did at 4:30pm. They said the fax could take 2-30 minutes to arrive. No fax came and they closed at 5pm. Now this morning I called 18 times and I am sitting on hold as I type this, So far on hold 1 hour 27 minutes. If I don't get Tesla this stupid form before 6pm today I lose my VIN.

Here's another, I had a discussion with a Tesla guy yesterday over my trade in. He wanted me to commit to their trade in offer and I told him he'd have to wait until I heard back from Carmax. I ran the Carmax info after work and since Tesla is only offering $21,100 and Carmax is at $26,600 I am going with Carmax. This morning the Tesla guy actually said, "if you planned on using Carmax why did you waist my time having me get you a quote? It's end of quarter, and this is slowing the process down". This sale is not about me the customer, or my having a positive buying experience, it's about one thing and one only, getting the car paid for by whomever and off the lot before EOD 3/31.

So yeah.... the being in awe of Tesla thing is long gone.
Is Elon a living legend, probably.
Is Tesla a better company with an engineer running it? Probably not. Notice how Gwynne Shotwell is president and chief operating officer of SpaceX.
Elon Runs engineering and she runs the company. Yeah he has input, even last say, but he lets her run things. Imagine if the Raptor engine was built and delivered like the Model X is? Let that sink in....

This car had better be the best thing I ever owned or my next one will be a Rivan or maybe I'll go back to Ford if they are ready with a BEV Ford Explorer. We'll see in 4 years or 50K miles.

I saved, pinched and scrapped in order to buy the Model X and the frustration and disappointment Tesla has brought me makes me kinda sad.
"This morning the Tesla guy actually said, "if you planned on using Carmax why did you waist my time having me get you a quote? It's end of quarter, and this is slowing the process down".

You should have replied, "Why did you waste your time giving me a *sugar* quote? You've actually wasted my time."

For the record, Tesla offered $80,100 for the 2018 Model X 100D with FSD and 44,032 miles. That works for me. Only problem is the final paperwork shows sales tax on the full price, not the difference as specified by the state of Washington. I will call Tesla later this morning to clear that up, move some money around, and we'll be ready. 🕺

Mrs. G told me this morning that the delivery date wouldn't have been moved unless we purchased the CPO Model X, decided we liked the white interior, and contacted "Jorge" to change the color configuration. So... thanks "Jorge"? :cool:
If you added a trade after placing order they won’t calculate the tax right. When you get your VIN they will recalculate it correctly. If you fight them now you’ll just get frustrated. I got $88,500 for my 2019 X.

because if you want an EV and want the size of an X, there is limited alternatives right now. Most things are fixable by Tesla or willing to put up with relative to alternative vehicles. Def not looking to get an ICE even before gas prices are where they are at now.

I have 2 Rivian R1S orders as well as Lucid but they are going to have their own issues too. THe traditional automakers offerings are just a compromise from these full on non-legacy startup EV companies. Lucid especially has cool tech in terms of efficiency...but their looks suck. I would love if the new Audi Avant 6 concept used Lucid battery and motor tech. That would be a great car
The Lucid looks like a grandpa car, lol
No offense to grandpas 😁

You just contradicted yourself.

Go ahead and cancel then based on what you are seeing. It doesn’t gain you anything to cancel.

There is always hope things will get better. We assume new design should be more streamlined build. We all hope we are one of the lucky ones.

I would never bother ordering early. There is no benefit at a all. Model 3 in 2018 I got in 4 weeks, 2019 Model X I got in 4 weeks. 2022 Model S I got in 12 weeks (I cheated and bought someones reservation only because I wanted to catch peak trade in value). All cars had less then 4 week build date. All 3 needed no service at delivery.

I too am a casual observer of this thread and have seen the spirit here gradually shifting - the rose-colored glasses are beginning to cloud up, I think mostly due to the dissatisfaction/disappointment expressed by folks that have taken delivery. In the early days, when there was still splendor in the grass, lol, it was like glory to Tesla, now it’s more like I’m ordering a Ford!
But some of us ordered the X because we actually needed a car and it was the new exciting kid in town, and now after having waited this long, it’s hard to just cancel and go ICE again.

You just contradicted yourself.

Go ahead and cancel then based on what you are seeing. It doesn’t gain you anything to cancel.

There is always hope things will get better. We assume new design should be more streamlined build. We all hope we are one of the lucky ones.

I would never bother ordering early. There is no benefit at a all. Model 3 in 2018 I got in 4 weeks, 2019 Model X I got in 4 weeks. 2022 Model S I got in 12 weeks (I cheated and bought someones reservation only because I wanted to catch peak trade in value). All cars had less then 4 week build date. All 3 needed no service at delivery.
How did I contradict myself?

FOMO

If you added a trade after placing order they won’t calculate the tax right. When you get your VIN they will recalculate it correctly. If you fight them now you’ll just get frustrated. I got $88,500 for my 2019 X.
They fixed the total quickly after I called. Money is moved around, now it's just a short wait until Wednesday.