Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update on my MX LR that was 4 days old before having complete electrical failure....

Tesla ran diagnostics and found problems with the 12v battery (big surprise) and the rear drive unit inverter. They gave no explanation for what could have happened and why both of those components went bad simultaneously without any warning.

They estimate it will take 3 weeks to get it fixed. Which will mean I'll be making another payment on my loan before even getting my car back. And that's if they aren't late fixing it. Which, given the past year of pushbacks, would be really surprising. Fun stuff.
I had the rear drive inverter go out on my 2020 Model 3 LR a year ago. Tesla had it for 10 days but gave me a MX to drive while I waited. That resulted in my April 2021 MXLR order that I’m still waiting for. The Model 3 has had no problems since that repair.

I've requested some information from new owners about 1000 pages earlier that I cannot find. This was back when we thought the initial deliveries were the start of something bigger. Now that we're in real production ramp/EoQ and many people have taken delivery, I want to re-ask the community for a critical bit of information: a sample battery pack revision number.

Prior to the refresh, there was a battery pack part number located behind the front passenger tire. I fear Tesla has removed the sticker location but I need someone to check.

Instructions to find the sticker are below.

To find the battery pack part number, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then look behind the front passenger side tire to see the sticker on the battery pack. An example sticker is shown below.

1648578024136.png

The purpose of this exercise is to track battery revisions. Tesla continually updates their battery packs and it is possible they will do this without us knowing other than by checking but we don't have an initial frame of reference.

I looked briefly at the parts catalog and couldn't find the current one so hopefully the sticker is still there.

Hello everyone, my name is Ed and I’m a teslaholic. I ordered my MXLR 7 seater in May of 2021 and have been in an emotional roller coaster ever since. A friend of mine name google point me to this site. I have since found same sane minded folks who spent countless hours checking the status of their order. I don’t know when I’ll take delivery or if I ever will, but seeing more sanity on this site provided relief that I’m not alone in this world.

It was $119K

No, it was $126,490 because the 5 seat option was nuked on 1/7/2022. On 1/6/2022, the price was still $119,990 until they nuked the 5 seat config the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: ductordoc
Quick update on my MX LR that was 4 days old before having complete electrical failure....

Tesla ran diagnostics and found problems with the 12v battery (big surprise) and the rear drive unit inverter. They gave no explanation for what could have happened and why both of those components went bad simultaneously without any warning.

They estimate it will take 3 weeks to get it fixed. Which will mean I'll be making another payment on my loan before even getting my car back. And that's if they aren't late fixing it. Which, given the past year of pushbacks, would be really surprising. Fun stuff.

21 days towards your magnuson moss odometer. When it's out of commission for 30 days, you can force a lemon buyback anytime after or wait a while and then force it.

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner
Just had Jorge update my order from Feb 2021 from an MXLR to a MX Plaid. Did the LR receive many more price increases over the last 13 months vs the Plaid? Right now my revised Order agreement ( OOD was Feb 2021) is only about $10k off from just ordering a new one today.
My agreement says $133,9 when I had the LR at $103,9 similarly configured.
Was the Plaid really $30k more in Feb 2021? Today, and similarly equipped, it's only about $17k off???

Just had Jorge update my order from Feb 2021 from an MXLR to a MX Plaid. Did the LR receive many more price increases over the last 13 months vs the Plaid? Right now my revised Order agreement ( OOD was Feb 2021) is only about $10k off from just ordering a new one today.
Was the Plaid really $30k more in Feb 2021? Today, and similarly equipped, it's only about $17k off???

Yes, the LR jumped in price multiple times in 2021 and once more in recently. Total prices increases are nearly $30K for the LR. This is why I ordered the Plaid on new years which at that point hadn't seen a single hike. At that point, the difference between Plaid and LR was only $15K. At one point it had been as much as $26K different. Now it's back to $24K difference.

Reactions: lsds
Hello everyone, my name is Ed and I’m a teslaholic. I ordered my MXLR 7 seater in May of 2021 and have been in an emotional roller coaster ever since. A friend of mine name google point me to this site. I have since found same sane minded folks who spent countless hours checking the status of their order. I don’t know when I’ll take delivery or if I ever will, but seeing more sanity on this site provided relief that I’m not alone in this world.
Glad that you are also 7 seater waiter!!✌️

Yes, Plaid was originally a $30k increase over the LR. That's how expensive the LR has gotten.

Reactions: msjodilynn1
My EDD shifts every day. Today it moved to 3/29 - 4/2 from 3/28 - 4/1 and so fourth. I'm hoping that they didn't actually start building my VIN and that that don't until April 1st. No joke :)

And then they can take their time and not rush it.

My suspicion is that they are rushing it and they're going to roll it out of the factory and call me at 11 pm on Thursday evening and tell me I have to pay for it and pick it up before midnight :p
I'm hoping they'll do that with mine I want it sooner

Reactions: lexus26
I had the rear drive inverter go out on my 2020 Model 3 LR a year ago. Tesla had it for 10 days but gave me a MX to drive while I waited. That resulted in my April 2021 MXLR order that I’m still waiting for. The Model 3 has had no problems since that repair.
I also had the rear drive inverter replaced in my M3 in December, at the Bellevue SC. So far I haven't had any more issues, although I have another service appointment scheduled due to some issue with the power converter.

21 days towards your magnuson moss odometer. When it's out of commission for 30 days, you can force a lemon buyback anytime after or wait a while and then force it.
Thanks for the information. It has crossed my mind. Though I lost a car on trade in during this process so I'd still have to buy another car, which will be hard in the current climate. If I were to get rid of the X after this, I'd probably try to sell it first since my cost was 25K lower than today's price.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
I also had the rear drive inverter replaced in my M3 in December, at the Bellevue SC. So far I haven't had any more issues, although I have another service appointment scheduled due to some issue with the power converter.
Seems like a frequent problem. I wonder what the odds are of this "new" one being solid for more than a month. I'm also slightly concerned that after 21 days my battery will be dead and "permanent damage" done to it. Do they actively prevent that from happening?

Wow, this woman get her car less then a month wait. She said she ordered on early March 2022 and delivered late March 2022. Not fair at all!!😭
Sorry, but that's an absolute piss off. This is beyond stupid as I'm sure that there are others in her area who have been waiting. Frankly, Tesla is doing a great job - of alienating their returning customers.

Well, exactly 420 days after ordering, we have finally taken delivery of our 2022 LR Model X! This vehicle is such an insane jump in quality, interior layout, and overall quality from a 2020 X and our Model Y that I was surprised. Loving the car so far after putting ~70 miles on it. Excited to drive it more in the coming days. Good luck ya'll, it's coming!