Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
need a bit of advice if anyone is willing. i took delivery of a Model S last week to hold me over until my Model X Jan 2023 EDD comes. This morning I got a text that a VIN was assigned to that Model X order. While this is great, it is terrible since I don't even know if I can trade in the Model S i picked up just a week ago. Losing value on the Model S trade-in is not an issue for me, i just gotta figure out how this is all going to happen. The Model S is financed and I planned to finance the Model X as well.

the timing of all this is just nasty.
From my experience yesterday, what I would advise is do not give up your car until you get the X. I cancelled the Y I was going to pick up the same day I got my X VIN and turns out the VIN was un-matched so I was left without Y or X. Get all the info ready to execute, but don't execute until you get your X :)

Reactions: msm859
need a bit of advice if anyone is willing. i took delivery of a Model S last week to hold me over until my Model X Jan 2023 EDD comes. This morning I got a text that a VIN was assigned to that Model X order. While this is great, it is terrible since I don't even know if I can trade in the Model S i picked up just a week ago. Losing value on the Model S trade-in is not an issue for me, i just gotta figure out how this is all going to happen. The Model S is financed and I planned to finance the Model X as well.

When did you order your X?

Welcome to Tesla production planning! You can put your order on hold for 30 days and then you will be reinserted into the production queue. You won't go to the back of the line but it may take a bit before they produce your config again.

When I ordered in September, 2021, the EDD said April. I sold my Roadster in November and picked up a Volvo XC40 using their Care by Volvo program. There is a 5 month minimum on the program but after that it is month-month - perfect for a Tesla order! Then in mid-Feb Tesla said they had a car for me. I put it on 30-day hold and that ended 2 weeks ago. I currently have a July EDD.

Take a deep breath, and explore your options. If you ordered your S some time ago, perhaps due to recent price increases, you may have some instant equity. Might be able to easily sell it when your X comes in with maybe even a little gain.
As others have said, often the delivery date becomes a bit fluid, and you will need to gather more information to determing just when you will be able to take delivery.