Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing people who ordered this year getting theirs just... sucks.
The whole VIN assignment algorithm is as fascinating to me as it is frustrating. It's complex enough that virtually no one I speak to at Tesla seems to really understand how it works, if anyone at the company can ever override it, or why and when people get assigned certain VINs. What wouldn't surprise me though is if it's trying to maximize Tesla's quarterly performance however it can.

Given that apparent complexity, it wouldn't shock me if there were some bugs, which could help explain the "I ordered 2 months ago and have a VIN" folks.

Last edited:
The whole VIN assignment algorithm is as fascinating to me as it is frustrating. It's complex enough that virtually no one I speak to at Tesla seems to really understand how it works, if anyone at the company can ever override it, or why and when people get assigned certain VINs. What wouldn't surprise me though is if it's trying to maximize Tesla's quarterly performance however it can.

Given that apparent complexity, it wouldn't shock me if there were some bugs, which could help explain the "I ordered 2 months ago and have a VIN" folks.

If VIN assignment is THAT random, then it needs a complete rewrite. Quite frankly, I'm not buying any of the BS any more - there is NO system. If someone can order a full year after others, get their vehicles delivered shortly thereafter, then something is clearly broken. Couple that with broken promises time and time again - "We'll prioritize you if you switch to a 6-seater for the added cost" should now be open for fraud under the circumstances.

Took delivery of my MX Plaid about an hour ago. Home delivery. SA was very friendly and helpful. Car is beautiful. Unfortunately it was raining and the vehicle was wet but everything lines up and looks great. It does have a "swivel" screen. Asked my SA if it did while I was looking through the menu options. He said it did not, right as I found the option to move it.

I can hardly wait to drive this thing! I'm a bit hesitant about learning the yoke steering in the rain, so going to wait until it dries up out there.

Side view of screen attached.
Awesome!

What ultimately made you decide on black interior?

Awesome!

What ultimately made you decide on black interior?
Just personal preference. I think the white and cream interiors are beautiful. But for myself, I just like black/black/black everything lol. Also I wear a lot of black and gray, and worried about maintaining the white or cream seats.

Edited to add - I also have black dogs. I just couldn't bear it to see their little black hairs on those white or cream seats. o_O

My delivery is a week away and I may end up paying 100% in cash due to trouble with DCU. I applied for a loan for the full amount and was declined. When I inquired about how much I would qualify for, I was told to reapply for a lower figure and see if it goes through. Is it odd that they couldn't share a max approval number? I am hesitant to pay cash because I believe refinancing without a lienholder may not be easy or even possible as that isn't really refinancing. I currently have two car loans with them at 1.24% so maybe they don't want to carry any more of my debt...

Hi everyone,
May 13th, i received my EDD for my LR 7-seater for my 03/04/2021 order from Canada !
May 27 - June 17. RN 1145xxxx
Earlier this morning, EDD was June 1 to 5 and this afternoon, just received my VIN after 15 months !!!!
NF3434xx
Hope for the best. We'll see
😁

My delivery is a week away and I may end up paying 100% in cash due to trouble with DCU. I applied for a loan for the full amount and was declined. When I inquired about how much I would qualify for, I was told to reapply for a lower figure and see if it goes through. Is it odd that they couldn't share a max approval number? I am hesitant to pay cash because I believe refinancing without a lienholder may not be easy or even possible as that isn't really refinancing. I currently have two car loans with them at 1.24% so maybe they don't want to carry any more of my debt...
It’s probably that you have two existing loans with them depending on the amounts. Most banks (and DCU I assume as well) have a max credit limit they will extend across all products. Chase for example doesn’t like to loan out across all products more than like 2/3 of your annual income.

Reactions: blodg1
Hi everyone,
May 13th, i received my EDD for my LR 7-seater for my 03/04/2021 order from Canada !
May 27 - June 17. RN 1145xxxx
Earlier this morning, EDD was June 1 to 5 and this afternoon, just received my VIN after 15 months !!!!
NF3434xx
Hope for the best. We'll see
😁
Congrats. No hope for 6 seater holders. I see either plaid, 5 or 7 seaters. 15 + months and edd still shows August.

If VIN assignment is THAT random, then it needs a complete rewrite. Quite frankly, I'm not buying any of the BS any more - there is NO system. If someone can order a full year after others, get their vehicles delivered shortly thereafter, then something is clearly broken. Couple that with broken promises time and time again - "We'll prioritize you if you switch to a 6-seater for the added cost" should now be open for fraud under the circumstances.
Agree. Obviously there is NO system. It feels like there is some guy without any common sense assigning random VIn’s. How can one explain that people who ordered in 2022 are getting their cars but people who ordered jn feb 2021 are still waiting.

Congrats. No hope for 6 seater holders. I see either plaid, 5 or 7 seaters. 15 + months and edd still shows August.
Well, there have been only like five 7 seater vins on this site and only 3 deliveries...not to downplay your frustrations with delays on your car, completely understand given 15+ month await, but it hasn't exactly been raining 7 seater deliveries. Up until 2 weeks ago, we weren't even sure they were actually going to make any 7 seater configs. I still think 5 and 6 seat orders have a better luck of having VINs this quarter as well. Good luck and I do hope you get your car soon.