Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some inspiration for those still waiting -

IMG_0836.jpeg

Hi everyone. I'm back. Picked up on April 7th. Car sat unused except for a few short in town trips and then to get PPFed on the front. And then it went in for the post delivery service appt to fix all the defects on May 6th. The original estimated completion time was two weeks. Then last week it moved to today (3 weeks), and then today it moved to Monday.

The car hasn't sat idle. The FWDs and rear hatch have been opened and closed dozens and dozens of times. I had a very large list. They asked why I accepted it with so many issues. I told them it was far better than the first one I rejected.

The sad thing is if I'd rejected it again, I'd the post EoQ car I would have finally gotten would have probably been near perfect and I'd have the swivel screen as well. Since they haven't yet started working on the power train issue (pulling to the left during acceleration), I'm guessing it will be at least Friday which would make it 1 month.

Again, I know they're working hard on it and they really want to get it right. It took 2 hours to check it in and go over everything in detail. They were very patient and used marking tape to mark every location where there was an issue.

Auto opening doors don’t work as well yet. I was going to go 'fob only' as others suggested, but I have to dig out my card key wherever I put it, to unpair my phone key just to check if the ‘fob only’ works better.
You can unpair the phone directly in the phone app without the key card. I just did it because I was getting unasked for start charging at home and side doors opening without being asked. Hopefully, using the fob until they get the bugs out will help

From DelPhonic1: “I’m not sure if the doors need to break in or not, but the effort to close is too much. They need to sort that out— I don’t like my woman pushing too hard on a door to close it, if I’m not already doing it for her. She’s strong like a Serena, but still.”
As a Plaid owner for a few months, I’d like to point out a very important but often not noticed feature of the Model X doors. You do NOT need to shut the door manually. Just press the door “open” button on the hand grip when departing. (Note: there is an emergency door open lever button on the armrest but I’ve never used it.). After the door opens, just press the button again as you are departing, the door will power close behind you! Make sure you get out of the way before the door shuts on you, it has a slight delay so not hard to do. Takes a few times to get used to but my teenage kids have it mastered. Agree that they are difficult to close manually. Ironically, when I first picked up my car a few months ago, one service advisor did not know the “open” door button also worked as a “close“ feature. I rarely ever push my driver door closed, just press the button. Interestingly, when I failed to push it on the way out from the driver side and walked away, the door shut when I reach 15’ from the car and it locked. Must have been my settings but it saved me from walking back to the car to shut it manually. Now that’s technology.

Last edited:
476A0B34-AAC3-42B5-9674-18718C091B36.jpeg
F0EC5FDE-1EF3-4AB6-88B2-8B5EFB48B10C.jpeg

Ordered Jan 28 2021. No FSD. 7 seat MX LR.

Delivered yesterday to our home. Really, really impressed overall with the fit and finish, considering its a Tesla. I'm sure I'll find something as the ownership extends out, but so far, really quite nice. Its a big step up over the model Y performance that we had. Just a more premium experience and well worth the extra cost.

As an aside, sold our Model Y performance today to carmax after 11 months and 19.5k miles for 66k. That's 4k over what I had paid MSRP at the time. Which means some poor, desperate soul is going to pay 76k or so for a 1 year old used model Y.. yikes! Also, never put an ounce of ceramic coat or PPF, only commercial car wash, and, as expected, the appraiser could care less.

Last edited:
Pickup was largely smooth. As previously mentioned, Tesla gave me an outrageously lowball offer on my Y so I’ll be parting with that tomorrow (Carmax). That’s honestly my biggest gripe right now, because it’s created unnecessary extra work and I lost the trade-in tax benefit. For a brief moment I considered canceling altogether… but after sleeping on it I still took delivery. But annoying nevertheless since I feel Tesla was trying to take advantage of the situation.

A few specifics:
- My SA was awesome. He is the reason I have a car this soon. I let him know I was flexible in color and he was able to match me to a car that was on the train to the Midwest right after another customer canceled. He even called me to arrange. Really went above and beyond
- The overall staff at Highland Park Tesla was super helpful during delivery. I know some complain about the experience… I really have none. They tag-teamed it but moved things along well
- I took delivery on a rainy day so I wish the car had been cleaner. But overall not bad. Also, there are areas on the interior that aren’t as spotless as I’d like. But my standards here are high. Just a smudge and dirt here and there. Would expect a bit more for this much $$
- I’ve found 2 things that need to be fixed in the interior. One is more significant than the other. But overall build quality is really good
- Perhaps my biggest pleasant surprise… all season tires! I fully expected having to replace the tires but that’s now $$ I can save
- I have tilt screen, or course. Honestly, it’s not that useful IMO. So if you’re worried about whether or not you have it I urge you to reconsider
- The yoke is definitely a bit odd, but not that bad. I’m sure I’ll get used to it quickly

A couple more pics!
Congratulations for your nice new ride!!

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Just got my Vin 344xxx for white/white MXP ordered Aug 2021. Delivery window is 2 weeks from now while I have a business trip for the entire June. Anyone knows if pushing back the delivery for 3 weeks is possible or I have to put my order on hold for a month and then wait for the next one? Thanks in advance.
Back in 2017, I was out of town on vacation when Tesla called and wanted me to take delivery of my first X. When I told them I wouldn't be home to accept delivery, Tesla offered to deliver the car in DC where I happened to be. I declined and they were fine with it, took delivery at home a month later. You might want to give them a call, tell them your situation and see if they can't route your new X to a DC near where you'll be. Just a thought.

I’m joining the delayed more times than you can keep track of club! Similar to a lot of you- I was a July 2022 EDD. Then moved to Dec. 2022- Apr. 2023. Then moved to Oct. 5-Dec. 14. Now just checked this morning, and moved back to Dec. 2022- Apr. 2023. Thanks to all of you that post with similar dates getting changed to earlier estimations and ultimately getting delivered. It‘s our only glimmer of hope! Everybody has a breaking point!

Clearly they are deprioritizing the Model X in favor of the mass production cars of 3 & Y! I get it. I’m a Tesla shareholder and I understand if they can produce more 3’s and Y’s that may look better on paper with the projections of 1.5 million cars delivered in 2022. The X & S are only a small percentage of the total. Ultimately, the way you treat your customers does have an impact overall! Again, thanks to you in the forum that post your new dates and deliveries! It is preventing me from hitting my breaking point!

Tesla Model X LR 5 seat no FSD Black/black 20” order date July 2021.
I doubt that's true. More likely supply chain issues. The S/X are both made on the same assembly line in Fremont so ebbs and flows between those two models could affect production somewhat. OTOH, the 3/Y each have dedicated assembly lines @ Fremont, Shanghai and/or Berlin. There is no crossover when it comes to producing Tesla's two smaller vehicles versus the S/X.

Tesla Manufacturing Plants

Hi everyone. I'm back. Picked up on April 7th. Car sat unused except for a few short in town trips and then to get PPFed on the front. And then it went in for the post delivery service appt to fix all the defects on May 6th. The original estimated completion time was two weeks. Then last week it moved to today (3 weeks), and then today it moved to Monday.

The car hasn't sat idle. The FWDs and rear hatch have been opened and closed dozens and dozens of times. I had a very large list. They asked why I accepted it with so many issues. I told them it was far better than the first one I rejected.

The sad thing is if I'd rejected it again, I'd the post EoQ car I would have finally gotten would have probably been near perfect and I'd have the swivel screen as well. Since they haven't yet started working on the power train issue (pulling to the left during acceleration), I'm guessing it will be at least Friday which would make it 1 month.

Again, I know they're working hard on it and they really want to get it right. It took 2 hours to check it in and go over everything in detail. They were very patient and used marking tape to mark every location where there was an issue.
Swivel screen as it is, isn’t as good as it could be. It is either “swivel fully right” or swivel fully left” (at least from what I saw in a video) not like the mirrors which you can adjust to your exact liking. So at least for now, I’m not impressed and I don’t think you missed out on anything. (Tesla may improve that)

View attachment 809710View attachment 809713

Ordered Jan 28 2021. No FSD. 7 seat MX LR.

Delivered yesterday to our home. Really, really impressed overall with the fit and finish, considering its a Tesla. I'm sure I'll find something as the ownership extends out, but so far, really quite nice. Its a big step up over the model Y performance that we had. Just a more premium experience and well worth the extra cost.

As an aside, sold our Model Y performance today to carmax after 11 months and 19.5k miles for 66k. That's 4k over what I had paid MSRP at the time. Which means some poor, desperate soul is going to pay 76k or so for a 1 year old used model Y.. yikes! Also, never put an ounce of ceramic coat or PPF, only commercial car wash, and, as expected, the appraiser could care less.
Ordered same day, same configuration, EDD JUNE 1-22, Los Angeles. hopefully i get it soon. What city you took delivery?

Just thought of something and was wondering if there's ever a problem with the car, how do you manually open or close the FWDoors.
A quick search led me to this video

I know tesla has a very high safety score but how? what if there's a fire like the video show? how can someone escape on time?
Kinda concerning.

This is my number one concern with the design.
I really think Tesla could have designed a manual emergency release that 1) would have not been unrealistic for emergency use & 2) would have engaged a pre-tensioned spring to lift the door.

QQ: does anyone know if the rear mats (6-seater) available on Tesla will fit the refresh? I already purchased the fronts but with 3 baseball players in the fam desperately need something for the rear.

The other option is to return the Tesla ones and get Tesmanian instead but if the Tesla-branded ones work that would be my preference!

Will keep everyone posted as I finish my at home inspection today and submit for service adjustments.