Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I mean as in retrofit ourselves via DIY.
It would be an interesting test. But, I think there could be some technical challenges like mounting hardware differences in floor pan, electronics to seatbelt wearing monitoring, software confusion with what the car was VIN said it was versus connected to seats, etc. Also, not sure you could sell such a vehicle because different information associated with the VIN.

No, I mean as in retrofit ourselves via DIY.
It is possible to do everything physical, however, resetting the gateway to recognize the new configuration is a Tesla-only operation. As an employee I could change a lot of the gateway settings but some are locked to engineering only like activating ambient lighting or turning on premium sound on the old Model S. The floor pans are identical and have threaded holes for both seat types.

Today is my “Orderversary.” I was younger and more naive when I thought my June 2, 2021 MX order would arrive in December 2021 as originally estimated 😢
Well at least you were told up front 6 months wait. I still remember my early April 2021 order we were given May as EDD. We were so skeptical - we figured June 2021 instead ha ha ha.

Update: I finalized the trade-in and initiated payment and based on my sales advisor, I'm all set for delivery on June 4th! Also based on the sales advisor, the car was built on April 15th. Am I right in assuming that it will have the screen tilt as well as the 'new' charge port?

Reactions: snappy1
Tesla is quoting me $20k for 2014 Model S trade-in and Carvana is offering $28k.
So it seems like I’m gonna be doing the Carvana.
Does anyone know what is the easiest/best option for the license plates? Should I transfer my old license plate for the new X?
If so, how will I drive the old Model S to Carvana wihout the plates?
Or I have to sell the old Model S before the delivery date of new Model X? (which is scary, in case of delays)

I appreciate anyone sharing their experiences.

Reactions: BonB
Tesla is quoting me $20k for 2014 Model S trade-in and Carvana is offering $28k.
Does anyone know what is the easiest/best option for the license plates? Should I transfer my old license plate for the new X?
Or I have to sell the old Model S before the delivery date of new Model X? (which is scary, in case of delays)

It depends on the state.

Here in TX if they are personalized plates (including special affiliated plates), they are yours and can be transferred to your new vehicle. Just remove the plates when arriving at the buyer. Otherwise new standard plates will be issued to your new vehicle.

We plan to sell our ancient Jeep hopefully to Carmax on the way home from picking up our Model X. No way am I relinquishing our old car until we can drive away in the new.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie and dzzz

If it helps....
My girlfriend just sold to Carvana....they drove to our house and picked it up. There was no need for license plate.

I sold my Model 3 to Carvana and they picked it up yesterday at my office. I took the plate off before I drove it from my house to my office. I just propped up the plate in the back windshield for the drive.

I’m in GA and have a special EV tag. I purchased a refreshed Model S over the weekend. I took the EV tag from the Model 3 to the local tag office with the title to the new Model S and they transferred the EV tag to the Model S. Very easy process and saved me having to pay for the manufacture of a new EV tag. Having said all of that, it will depend on your state.