Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is quoting me $20k for 2014 Model S trade-in and Carvana is offering $28k.
So it seems like I’m gonna be doing the Carvana.
Does anyone know what is the easiest/best option for the license plates? Should I transfer my old license plate for the new X?
If so, how will I drive the old Model S to Carvana wihout the plates?
Or I have to sell the old Model S before the delivery date of new Model X? (which is scary, in case of delays)

I appreciate anyone sharing their experiences.
I forgot to add that I’m in FL.
From what I understand, sellers keep their license plates with them, which means Carvana will not take my old plates for sure.
The only thing I’m worried is if I have to drive to old Model S to them, how to drive it without the plates, because the license plate should be at the Model X at that time.

I sold my Model 3 to Carvana and they picked it up yesterday at my office. I took the plate off before I drove it from my house to my office. I just propped up the plate in the back windshield for the drive.

I’m in GA and have a special EV tag. I purchased a refreshed Model S over the weekend. I took the EV tag from the Model 3 to the local tag office with the title to the new Model S and they transferred the EV tag to the Model S. Very easy process and saved me having to pay for the manufacture of a new EV tag. Having said all of that, it will depend on your state.
What kind of license plates did you use for the Model S to drive it before you got the license transferred over from Model 3?

Tesla is quoting me $20k for 2014 Model S trade-in and Carvana is offering $28k.
Does anyone know what is the easiest/best option for the license plates? Should I transfer my old license plate for the new X?
Or I have to sell the old Model S before the delivery date of new Model X? (which is scary, in case of delays)

Save the plates and tell Tesla you are transferring the plate. You will get credit for the unused portion of your yearly plate/tag fees.

Reactions: Prairie
Does someone mind taking a photo of the wires at the back of the 3rd row in the cargo area? and replying to my thread?

In Colorado, your new Tesla comes with a temp license plate. You remove the old license plates from the old car and keep them. When you get your title in the mail a few weeks later, you go to the DMV and bring your old license plates with you. They can then apply the old plates to your new car. However, not long ago, they changed the rule a little. In order to keep your old license plate, you must pay additional fee. They wanted to discourage you from using your old plates.

And if I were you, I would not sell the old car until you have the new Tesla on your driveway and make sure it doesn’t have any major issues. There are too many stories in this forum where they delayed or cancelled the delivery. Or your new car will need to be serviced for a few days, weeks or even months.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Hi All, I should be picking up my MX Plaid in a week. I ordered in my name but would like to register the car under my business (LLC). Does anyone know how to do this without having to register twice and possibly pay sales tax twice? I'm holding off on asking Tesla directly, lest they think I am trying to transfer the car to another owner and have them cancel my reservation as a result. I've waited long enough for this car.

Reactions: BonB
Got a bad news from Tesla. Last week, I put my order on hold for a month due to a business trip planned. Today, Tesla texted me saying I have to be ready in 10 days otherwise my order will be canceled and my deposit will not be returned. I thought this was sent mistakenly so I called Tesla. I was told this is true and it’s from the corporate team that the local store can’t do anything about it, regardless what I was told by the store last week that my order could be hold until July. The corporate really wants to deliver the car. So now the only option is telling them I’m ready and hope that it will take a couple of weeks to get a vin match and another 2 weeks for delivery. In this case, it will go to the beginning of July. Otherwise, I need to make a lot of changes for the business trip to take the delivery. Really frustrated by their action as a long time Tesla loyal customer.

Got a bad news from Tesla. Last week, I put my order on hold for a month due to a business trip planned. Today, Tesla texted me saying I have to be ready in 10 days otherwise my order will be canceled and my deposit will not be returned. I thought this was sent mistakenly so I called Tesla. I was told this is true and it’s from the corporate team that the local store can’t do anything about it, regardless what I was told by the store last week that my order could be hold until July. The corporate really wants to deliver the car. So now the only option is telling them I’m ready and hope that it will take a couple of weeks to get a vin match and another 2 weeks for delivery. In this case, it will go to the beginning of July. Otherwise, I need to make a lot of changes for the business trip to take the delivery. Really frustrated by their action as a long time Tesla loyal customer.
I bought Tesla stock, they need to collect money to have a nice Q2 earning recalls. They can not hold until Q3

Reactions: neo1738
I bought Tesla stock, they need to collect money to have a nice Q2 earning recalls. They can not hold until Q3
I got that. But there are lots of people in the backlog after me who can take delivery. The car will be sold by Q2 anyway. Putting me on hold does not hurt their earnings. It may actually increase their earnings as new order may pay higher price.

My ETA showed July for a long time until last week. That’s why I arrange my trip to June. If they are not accurate about their ETAs, they should allow customers to have some flexibilities. I’m not asking for a 90 days hold, but 1 month is not an unreasonable number, right?

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I got that. But there are lots of people in the backlog after me who can take delivery. The car will be sold by Q2 anyway. Putting me on hold does not hurt their earnings. It may actually increase their earnings as new order may pay higher price.

My ETA showed July for a long time until last week. That’s why I arrange my trip to June. If they are not accurate about their ETAs, they should allow customers to have some flexibilities. I’m not asking for a 90 days hold, but 1 month is not an unreasonable number, right?
Wait, you don't even have a VIN and they won't let you put your order on hold? Seems odd. Have you put it on hold before?

I forgot to add that I’m in FL.
From what I understand, sellers keep their license plates with them, which means Carvana will not take my old plates for sure.
The only thing I’m worried is if I have to drive to old Model S to them, how to drive it without the plates, because the license plate should be at the Model X at that time.
Doesn’t Tesla give you temporary plates good for a month on the newly delivered vehicle?

I’m getting paper plates here in TX until I register the new vehicle.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Wait, you don't even have a VIN and they won't let you put your order on hold? Seems odd. Have you put it on hold before?
I did get a vin last week and the delivery date was mid June. But I have a business trip that it’s very hard for me to take delivery until beginning of July. So I went to the store the same day and talked to a delivery guy, who helped put my order on hold until July 1st. I just went to the store again and talked to the same guy. He told me that my order got flagged, which is normally for orders with long hold or rejected delivery. But my hold was just 1 week until now. He said it’s probably that my order date was long ago, for which they don’t allow for long hold. He said recently placed order can get up to 90 days hold. But my order date was end of Aug 2021, which is a “like new” one comparing to folks in this forum. The only possibility I can think of is that Tesla is playing tricks to cancel orders with old prices as much as possible, excepting that Tesla simply being irrational.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
Joined the VIN club this morning. Survived all the mood swings (anger, denial, depression, acceptance) associated with the wild EDD changes for the past 14 months, then it locked into a three week window in June and today a four day window with the VIN. Order date was Apr 21. MX 5 seater, white exterior, black interior, 20 inch tires, and no FSD. VIN 7SAXCDE52NF34XXXX.

No text from the service center yet to schedule delivery so I'm assuming the delivery date will slide.

Picking up in Las Vegas.
Also, picking up in Vegas. Ordered 1/24/2021. Over 16 months and still waiting. Congrats, hopefully yours sticks