Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated the spreadsheet and marked a bunch of orders as "Cancelled" if they haven't been updated in a long time, or i had no way to contact the person (the name doesn't match a user on the forum). If your order is not actually cancelled just change it from Cancelled to whatever the latest EDD is, and please update the date in the "Check In" column so we know that it has been updated recently. I'll probably do a couple more batches of marking things as "cancelled" as I wait for responses from some forum users in PM.

Thanks!

I'm confused about the phone as a key for the X. You can't just walk up and press the door button to open, step in, and step on brake to close the door without taking anything out? You have to actively interact with the phone to do this?
On my 3, I just walk up, open the door, get in, close the door, press brake, drive away. No interacting with the phone to do any of that.
As long as your car is selected in the app, and you have Location Services set to “Always” for the Tesla app, the vehicle will unlock automatically and open the door (if configured), and walk away lock functions as you would expect. I’ve found it surprisingly reliable.

Before I got my new X, I had a devil of a time driving my wife’s Model 3, more often than not, I had to break out the proximity card to drive. When the new X arrived, it pointed out the requirement to have the desired car selected in the app. Head smack! This only affects folks that have more than one Tesla set up In the app. The car also requires the phone app be reasonably close to the car, to drive. If location services is not active or set to “only while using the app” it cannot determine the location of the phone app.

Bottom line, it works great if all the conditions (above) are correct.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Finally, got the test message that my x has been departed from the factory!
36FC3D31-2D03-421F-9DB8-77F1430F3D5E.jpeg

I'm confused about the phone as a key for the X. You can't just walk up and press the door button to open, step in, and step on brake to close the door without taking anything out? You have to actively interact with the phone to do this?

On my 3, I just walk up, open the door, get in, close the door, press brake, drive away. No interacting with the phone to do any of that.
No. With phone key you do not need to take the phone out of your pocket to interact with it unless you want to. Works just like it did in my previous Model 3. Walk up to the car and press the door handle and it will open. Phone app must always be running in the background with location services on, just like the 3.

No. With phone key you do not need to take the phone out of your pocket to interact with it unless you want to. Works just like it did in my previous Model 3. Walk up to the car and press the door handle and it will open. Phone app must always be running in the background with location services on, just like the 3.
Partially true. But you do have to take the phone out, unlock it and open the app to open the FWDs or passenger door remotely.

I’ll say unless your CT reservation is in the first few thousands and your config happens to be the one Tesla produces first, your chance of getting your CT next year is slim to none. Before you know it, you’ll be a member of the next mega thread forum, “CT waiting room” and complaining about the same thing all over again.

I truly believe that Tesla finally figured out Model X production judging from the quality of recent deliveries. It’s just they can’t over produce Model X because it’s a relatively low demand compared to their other models. Be patient. I think our cars are coming sooner or later (hopefully sooner).
I have an early CT reservation within first 2500, but being in Canada I fully expect to partake in a long wait… this wait has toughened me up a little 😅 (I still check my X EDD a few times a day)

So I posted on my local FB Tesla group and two owners chimed in that Tesla just out right replaced body parts on their cars that had messed up paint from the factory. Woot woot?
My SA got back to me:

"Mike, the issue that you are referring to is what our detail team calls a "snowball" and is very easy to have polished out and looking good as new. So this is not something to worry about delaying your delivery and your vehicle will be ready by 8/5 at 2:30pm. Thank you."

Dr Evyl: Rrrrright. So hopefully that 'white' is just clear that got sanded and not primer. I can see that being buffable. We'll see. My Google Fu is lacking and I can't find any "Paint Snowball Defect" examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: honeyfist301
As long as your car is selected in the app, and you have Location Services set to “Always” for the Tesla app, the vehicle will unlock automatically and open the door (if configured), and walk away lock functions as you would expect. I’ve found it surprisingly reliable.

Before I got my new X, I had a devil of a time driving my wife’s Model 3, more often than not, I had to break out the proximity card to drive. When the new X arrived, it pointed out the requirement to have the desired car selected in the app. Head smack! This only affects folks that have more than one Tesla set up In the app. The car also requires the phone app be reasonably close to the car, to drive. If location services is not active or set to “only while using the app” it cannot determine the location of the phone app.

Bottom line, it works great if all the conditions (above) are correct.
Agreed. We also have our cars on separate accounts to make this this worse, which requires app logout/login. But issues are other reasons to still use fobs. Just walk into the garage and appropriate car wakes up. Leave your phone on your desk or at home and you can still drive the car.

I don't think the Model Y LR ever got them. I think till this day only MYP have matrix headlights?
Also, Model 3s are being delivered with and without Matrix headlights. Reading the threads, it depends on if they were available.

Also, the Tesla matrix headlights do not seem to have the software necessary to do all of the functions that you read about in other matrix headlight systems. Someone said Tesla purchased just the base matrix light and is writing their own controlling software and incorporating that into their system controllers, when they get around to it.