Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I've not read of any refresh cars having the hard-acceleration shudder of the last-gen models. Sure, there's likely also not too many out there with high mileage, but I feel like we'd have heard of a few by now...
I have a vibration during moderate (like 45-50% throttle) and above acceleration on my refresh X.

A little more dull and more throbby than on my old Raven S, but I attribute that difference to it being an X vs S.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I canceled my order on a refresh over both vibrations.

I drive a 2017 LR S that I bought new. At least my S only had one vibration issue and is manageable. The pre-refresh AWD MS only has the front half shaft vibration issue aka shudder on hard acceleration. It can be remedied w lowering links or replacing half shifts every 20,000ish miles.

As far as I can tell from the forum the refresh MS have an additional vibration that occurs at moderate speeds without acceleration and there is no fix. I would not recommend a new S. If I really wanted a new EV close to the capability of an S (capacity wise for cargo and people) I’d get a Y. I decided to keep driving my 2017 S
I have a 2017 S75, purchased new. The front drive train on the S75D I test compared at the time, plus the problems reported then about Model X front vibrations, contributed to me buying the S75 RWD. Other reasons included a lighter front end and only giving up 0.1 seconds in 0-60 time between the S75 and the S75D. I have been following the Refresh/Plaid vibration threads here on TMC and I am beginning to think I'll just keep my S75 forever. I really want a Plaid, but no way I'm spending $130K on a car with such a high failure rate on potentially two diffferent (35-40mph lite acceleration, 60mph punch it) vibration issues. There is an outfit in N.C. that can upgrade my 2017 S75 to a P85+. Maybe I'll just do that in 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
I have a 2017 S75, purchased new. The front drive train on the S75D I test compared at the time, plus the problems reported then about Model X front vibrations, contributed to me buying the S75 RWD. Other reasons included a lighter front end and only giving up 0.1 seconds in 0-60 time between the S75 and the S75D. I have been following the Refresh/Plaid vibration threads here on TMC and I am beginning to think I'll just keep my S75 forever. I really want a Plaid, but no way I'm spending $130K on a car with such a high failure rate on potentially two diffferent (35-40mph lite acceleration, 60mph punch it) vibration issues. There is an outfit in N.C. that can upgrade my 2017 S75 to a P85+. Maybe I'll just do that in 10 years.
Yep, junk. I paid $145+ for mine in 2021. ☹️

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
We don't have the 60mph vibration.

I'd buy one used for $85k now. That's quite a savings and it would still have two years of warranty.

Vin 452 range, happens 100% of the time with varying intensity.. Plaid/Arachnids

Doesn’t bother me yet, I’m sure eventually Tesla will have a fix.
Does it bother you a year and a half later? Has it gotten worse for you as some say it does? Tesla seems to have no fix or plan for addressing this... I just picked up my Apr 2023 Plaid (range wheels) 5 days ago and have this and the warming up 25+ mph vibration.

Update: One month and 775 miles after the new half shafts. Maybe the slightest tiny tiny hint of a vibration? But, you really have to search for it and definitely not something anyone should care about. I might also be confusing normal road vibrations. If it stays like this, I would call it solved.
Looking forward to your assessment three months from now, or 2000 miles, whichever comes first.

Update: One month and 775 miles after the new half shafts. Maybe the slightest tiny tiny hint of a vibration? But, you really have to search for it and definitely not something anyone should care about. I might also be confusing normal road vibrations. If it stays like this, I would call it solved.
Good to know, will for sure drop the car for service in few months once these parts become more available to all SCs (My Orlando Center sucks :))

I will search your old posts but did you post the service invoice with then new numbers and tech notes?

Also by any chance do you know if installing these require them to remove the front brake rotors? I have MP big rotor kit that they tried to blame before when I had the skid pad under torqued ticking noise and I do not want them to use it as excuse to deny the service. I have the old rotors if push come to shove that I can put back temporarily.

Good to know, will for sure drop the car for service in few months once these parts become more available to all SCs (My Orlando Center sucks :))

I will search your old posts but did you post the service invoice with then new numbers and tech notes?

Also by any chance do you know if installing these require them to remove the front brake rotors? I have MP big rotor kit that they tried to blame before when I had the skid pad under torqued ticking noise and I do not want them to use it as excuse to deny the service. I have the old rotors if push come to shove that I can put back temporarily.

I'm pretty sure they would have to remove the brake rotors, since the half shafts connect to them.

Here's what they did:
1683046893031.png

1683046900203.png

Text:
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR,LEFT HAND(1420113-00-B)
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR,RIGHT HAND(1420119-00-B)

• Informative
Reactions: SnowFlyer and Ash83
I'm pretty sure they would have to remove the brake rotors, since the half shafts connect to them.

Here's what they did:
View attachment 933817
View attachment 933818

Text:
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR,LEFT HAND(1420113-00-B)
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR,RIGHT HAND(1420119-00-B)
Thanks.

I will wait then till end of the year to confirm the issue is fixed before.

Reactions: aerodyne
That's an easy thing for them to prove by putting on another set of wheels/tires and showing you that the vibration has gone away. I am sure they can source a set to borrow around the shop.
I have a same thing on my 2017 certified pre owned MS100D. I have had Tesla change brake, drive shaft, new tires and clevis mount, adjust clevis mount and still there. I have had the vibration right driving off from Tesla Lot after delivery. I am suing Tesla on arbitration to have my purchase price back and the 10k$ I have spent since CPO delivery. Just filed on Monday.

I have a same thing on my 2017 certified pre owned MS100D. I have had Tesla change brake, drive shaft, new tires and clevis mount, adjust clevis mount and still there. I have had the vibration right driving off from Tesla Lot after delivery. I am suing Tesla on arbitration to have my purchase price back and the 10k$ I have spent since CPO delivery. Just filed on Monday.

Tesla hasn't sold CPO vehicles since early 2018, at least that is when I think they discontinued the CPO program, so either you didn't buy a CPO, or you have had it more than 5 years at this point...

Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: jebinc
Can you do a lemon law buyback?
I think I am over the mileage in New Jersey. They refused to find the vibration for six months-when my used warranty run out. I have done almost 20 k miles. My car was in the service center for accumulatively 3 months until April. Now they note there is no noticable vibration what they would call out of spec. I am suing the for not servicing my car prior to selling it to me as a CPO car. They literally polished and vacuumed the car.