Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My vibration and shudder under hard acceleration are no longer an issue. Unfortunately it's also resulted in the car getting totaled. Guess I'm going to wait and get a M3 Highland instead.

00334bf0-ba38-4394-a76b-858bf14d65e2.jpeg

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: AAKEE and aerodyne
Yes, and yes. The high-pitched whine can vary car to car, and if you cruise at just the "right" speed, you'll notice it more. This is why music is imperative in electric cars. You just tend to hear... well... everything, otherwise. Congrats on the new car!
Electric shmetric. I had my M3P almost 3 years… none of this nonsense. Anyhow I’m enjoying the car but man - rough edges.

• Disagree
Reactions: racerx2005
Sorry to hear!

So the insurance do not cover all your loss despite another car was the reason? :confused:
I just lost my Plaid due to being rear-ended on the Interstate. This led me to reread my policy and notice that after-market add-ons in excess of $1000 are not covered unless they were reported to the insurer (which presumably affects rates, which is reasonable). If the custom wheels were not reported, that could be a good reason why they would not be covered (i.e. they were not insured).

• Informative
Reactions: racerx2005
Not going to read through 64 pages worth of background as I’m just coming back to the forum after ordering a MSP after having an early refresh LR. Def have/had the 30-40 vibration that I think I just got used to… For me, the 80+ vibration I was getting was an interesting fix… they removed the foam from stock tires. They blamed bent wheels, all sorts of finger pointing… removed the foam, all was better. The centrifugal force seemed to be causing issues at higher speeds. Seems too simple to be the actual problem folks have here… but mine is fine “today”.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Not going to read through 64 pages worth of background as I’m just coming back to the forum after ordering a MSP after having an early refresh LR. Def have/had the 30-40 vibration that I think I just got used to… For me, the 80+ vibration I was getting was an interesting fix… they removed the foam from stock tires. They blamed bent wheels, all sorts of finger pointing… removed the foam, all was better. The centrifugal force seemed to be causing issues at higher speeds. Seems too simple to be the actual problem folks have here… but mine is fine “today”.

Glad it was just your tires. Mine were swapped out along with the wheels and the 80 mph vibration was still there

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Hmm, I might have my service center remove the foam and see what happens.

I'm guessing I'm going to get another road force balance and alignment once I take the car in. You'd think they would find this during testing. People are driving these car over 80mph on the highway 😂

Reactions: James Cole
Have you guys gotten your wheels and tires shaved to a perfect round. My tire shop showed me how out of round the tires were . Wheels were perfectly round. A little shaving and the ride was smooth like butter. No vibration

It may be unlikely, but it is possible.

Got a replacement tire for the wife's MB from Tire Rack. I always clean, inspect and check the tread depth since they seem to cheat on the specs, such as spec is 10/32, and new measured is 9/32.

In this case, there was differing tread depths around the tire. I had it returned, next one was fine.