Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2021 had a much thicker gear box fluid, maybe?
IMG_4597.gif

I am pretty sure much of this to be true? Drew is the one who retrofitted the front motor into the Model S. The Model S was initially designed as a rear wheel drive sedan. The front cradle was not designed to hold a motor. So he had to mount it very high. The resulting steep angles in the universal joints in the halfshafts has been theorized in this thread to be the culprit for the vibration problems we are seeing in the refreshed S onward. I have been saying to myself I if ever get a chance to talk to Drew (or Lars) I would try to ask him off the record, without a mic or any blame, what he thought we should do to fix the vibration problems in the S. I was thinking of this again when I read Lars's X post below to Drew referencing "halfshaft stiffness". :)

1713296936913.png

I am pretty sure much of this to be true? Drew is the one who retrofitted the front motor into the Model S. The Model S was initially designed as a rear wheel drive sedan. The front cradle was not designed to hold a motor. So he had to mount it very high. The resulting steep angles in the universal joints in the halfshafts has been theorized in this thread to be the culprit for the vibration problems we are seeing in the refreshed S onward. I have been saying to myself I if ever get a chance to talk to Drew (or Lars) I would try to ask him off the record, without a mic or any blame, what he thought we should do to fix the vibration problems in the S. I was thinking of this again when I read Lars's X post below to Drew referencing "halfshaft stiffness". :)

View attachment 1039078
Exactly. The S (in any form) was never designed for a motor up front; that was an after thought.

Anyone else have intermittent vibration at full throttle? I think this could be due to uneven/irregular road surfaces? It almost feels like the front tires are losing traction and you feel a high frequency vibration in the pedal. I don’t believe the front tires are slipping as if you get out you can smell burnt rubber on the rears but not front. Makes sense with a single motor vs 2.

On other surfaces the full throttle acceleration has no vibration.

Exactly. The S (in any form) was never designed for a motor up front; that was an after thought.
I am so bummed. The S is the only Tesla I have ever been interested in. Everything about it is so cool, looks too bitchin on the road, the driving position, the ride, the space! I guess I will drive my S75 into the ground. However, When version 12 was delayed a bit for us legacy owners until last week, I realized that as soon as FSD is no longer available on legacy HW3 Tesla's, I will have to upgrade. Omar seems to think the Cybertruck is better than his Plaid S, then there is the Roadster? I think I will probably spin the wheel, buy a new S, hope it does not exhibit the vibration issues, and dump it if it does.

Reactions: jebinc and paulchou
I am so bummed. The S is the only Tesla I have ever been interested in. Everything about it is so cool, looks too bitchin on the road, the driving position, the ride, the space! I guess I will drive my S75 into the ground. However, When version 12 was delayed a bit for us legacy owners until last week, I realized that as soon as FSD is no longer available on legacy HW3 Tesla's, I will have to upgrade. Omar seems to think the Cybertruck is better than his Plaid S, then there is the Roadster? I think I will probably spin the wheel, buy a new S, hope it does not exhibit the vibration issues, and dump it if it does.
The S plaid is Tesla’s only viable product for me. It’s one of the very best looking sedans on the market. But you can see how they designed the rest of their vehicles. The performance makes the car worth the cost.

I think they are going to have to deliver something for all the people who paid for FSD on legacy hardware. It's going to be a mess. I don't know how long they will keep supporting the older hardware, but at least until they can legally call "FSD" complete, I'd guess.

I really wouldn't overthink it. With the 2023.44 update, Tesla tweaked the motor output to, for the most part, mitigate the vibration in the 35-50mph range. Is it 100% gone? Nope. Would people make a big fuss about it today? Probably not, for the most part. I also don't think it's anything to do with shafts given it can be variable day to day, but what do I know...

Reactions: terranx
I really wouldn't overthink it. With the 2023.44 update, Tesla tweaked the motor output to, for the most part, mitigate the vibration in the 35-50mph range. Is it 100% gone? Nope. Would people make a big fuss about it today? Probably not, for the most part. I also don't think it's anything to do with shafts given it can be variable day to day, but what do I know...
Wait did they nerf the S in the 35-50 MPH range?

Like... one of the most commonly driven in ranges?

My MSP is still glass smooth on acceleration in all ranges....but it's only got 1500 miles on it. I only ever accelerate hard in the lowest setting. Hopefully the new control algorithm gives me a head start in that my front CV joints aren't already previously damaged.

It likely will. I dumped mine for this very reason. However, some people are more sensitive to it than others here.

Wait did they nerf the S in the 35-50 MPH range?

Like... one of the most commonly driven in ranges?
They likely did what I suggested almost 2 years ago. Shifted power to the rear motors under light acceleration in the 40-50 mph range. I don't think they changed the power under wide open acceleration. It still feels very strong. But, that is why we lost ~2 miles of range.

Reactions: fetar30310