Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refusing Delivery What are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We do this today and he tells me I can no longer refuse delivery since I've already signed for the car and that Tesla no longer has it's 7 day return policy as that changed 3 days after I ordered on Oct.15th!

[/QUOTE]

If they really did change the return policy after you ordered, you may have a claim that they should still honor the policy. Though the contract you signed when receiving the car may have waived any right to a return. I’m not a lawyer, but it might be worth looking into.

First car I got this year at one delivery center had me do the paperwork before seeing the car. But you could walk back in and not take it off the lot if decided it wasn’t good.

Second car at different delivery center had people outside right next to cars and they gave you the key and you went to check it out before coming back to sign off.

Disappointing that service centers/deliveries are all different. I was under the impression that cars are "presented" to customers. I experienced this when I took delivery - my Y was washed, shiny and clean, backed into a special parking spot, all ready to go. SA said here's your car - check it out, and off she went to get all the paperwork together...

Reactions: Airmax2020
Yeah.

My first DC, once the paperwork was signed off was like bring the honk button on your app until you find your car and track us down if you need us. This was pre CV.

Second DC had the car in a special parking spot. Only a handful of other spots and customers. Employees behind a counter and not more than 50 feet away. Told me where car was. Card was inside so car was active. Told me to take my time checking out and come back when done. This was during the peak of CV during summer.

Last edited:
Where else is he suppose to take it to get the issues resolved, Sears?
He can take the vehicle to Tesla as many times as he likes. Doesn’t mean they are going to fix it.

Frankly, he is more likely to have these types of concerns addressed via a 3rd party. And yes, you can take your Tesla to 3rd parties to have work done.

Issues with paint, road and wind noise...Tesla could not be bothered to address.

I refused (rejected a Y the last weekend in September) for issues. We did accept our replacement Y on Halloween day. The rubber moulding as someone else stated isn't an issue. The one that bothers me the most is the lining up of the rear hatch. We had two issues on our Y. When you look down the side of the Y (drivers side), you could see the drivers door edge (between where it meets the rear door seam) was sticking out just a little. The adjustments to your doors are an easy fix. Just make sure that when they adjust them to how you like it, the other part of the door they just fixed isn't sticking out the other way (from the fix). The chips in the paint on the mirror and hood I think they will probably just touch them up. However, you could claim that if they do that it might eventually rust and you want both spots repainted. Also, make sure that when they fix your rear hatch and lower it to meet the right spot that it still closes properly.

Remember all these defects left the factory that way. You can fix things but realize how once they fix it that it might negatively affect another part of the same area. Sorry you are going thru all this. I really think there is a market for a business model for people that know these cars to start a system of "inspecting" Tesla's for customers at delivery. Lots of issues that many people who don't know what to look for accept cars and never know there are defects on their vehicles. At least you spotted the things and will try to get it back to the way it should be. Good luck.

I’ve had a bad experience with my $70k PY. I got my car in Sep 2020 and the car has been at the service center longer than it has been parked in my garage. I’ve had issues with interior and exterior trim, door seals, glass, paint drips, body panels dented, cabin rattles, damaged rims, door alignment, rear spoiler comes detached (3x). Over the course of 30 days I found 32 items wrong with the car; some of which is still being repaired. My SA Luis at Buena Park tells me that some reported issues are within specs according to Tesla standards. Ha! What a joke... you can’t even call and speak to someone, everything is done through the stupid app. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TESLA!! Absolute junk!! Another SA Louie from SA SC tells me that Tesla sells prototypes. That says a lot!​

Thanks for everyone that replied. I definitely want this to be not only a lesson learned by myself but also to New potential owners NOT to pay for the vehicle in advance but to only do this once the vehicle has been inspected which may have to be at your own request before signing any paper work. Hoping for the best outcome here really as I did enough research to know this was somewhat expected with the exception of the return policy change and what seems to be a much stricter policy (at least at my Service Center) for fixing cosmetic factory defects.

@glide - To be honest, the issues I have are not Knit picky issues, these to me are unacceptable. If Tesla is not willing to resolve these and I am expected to have them fixed at my expense by a third party. Then I will consider myself a detractor for recommending these cars and will not be a loyal customer. It's unfortunate because I want to see Tesla Succeed, but this will not help their cause if they want to become a major player in the Auto Industry.

UPDATE:
Took my car into the service department yesterday and the Major paint issues on the hood will be taken to a body repair shop to be repainted by Tesla. They provided a Model S loaner as the repairs they complete will take well into next week. I also saw that they ordered a new rear left side dry cleaning hanger assembly (Likely to fix the out of place rear trim piece). The good thing is everything is documented, I'm not holding my breathe that they will fix the alignment issues. I will likely argue the "Within Spec" argument as I think they are measuring the panel gap in the areas such as the Rear Hatch, which isn't a panel gap per say but clearly the hatch is not seated correctly and is raised. But as others have mentioned it may not be worth pursuing all alignment issue as I know "Fixing" some of these could cause other areas to be out of alignment.

I’ve had a bad experience with my $70k PY. I got my car in Sep 2020 and the car has been at the service center longer than it has been parked in my garage. I’ve had issues with interior and exterior trim, door seals, glass, paint drips, body panels dented, cabin rattles, damaged rims, door alignment, rear spoiler comes detached (3x). Over the course of 30 days I found 32 items wrong with the car; some of which is still being repaired. My SA Luis at Buena Park tells me that some reported issues are within specs according to Tesla standards. Ha! What a joke... you can’t even call and speak to someone, everything is done through the stupid app. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TESLA!! Absolute junk!! Another SA Louie from SA SC tells me that Tesla sells prototypes. That says a lot!​

Wow Sorry to hear this . Not sure if this will do you any good but one of my backup plans is to Call Tesla Customer Service Directly if things don't work out for me 1 (888) 518-3752. Needless to say I filled out the Survey for delivery very honestly and will be sure to give Tesla my honest feedback with how things are going so far.

What is your VIN approximately? I thought the newer productions have better panel alignment but it does seem to me that the doors and taillight still have alignment issue. (I am picking up mine in 1-2 weeks)

Production Date Was 11/4 I believe and vin is 68xxx. The newer ones really were starting to report better panel alignment. In my case, if you are just looking at panel gaps, I thing they generally did a good job with that. What's harder to see in all of my pictures is that areas such as the Rear Tail lights and Trunk Lid, and doors. They are raise and not Flush make sure to check for that and not just Panel Gaps.

You weren't duped. You signed paperwork and remitted payment for a vehicle you never laid eyes on. That's a lapse in judgment or a mistake. Knowing these cars are being delivered with cosmetic issues or worse, why would you accept the car sight unseen?

As difficult as this may be, this is a lesson learned. Be better next time.

Because I specifically asked the sales person if I needed to look over the car then and there to refuse delivery but was told I had 3 Days /100 Miles to refuse/return the car. <-- This is why I feel duped. I 100% agree, knowing these cars had issues I should have gone against by judgement and just stuck it out and reviewed it in the parking lot. However, the idea of taking it home and being able to inspect with more detail sounded appealing to me. It literally took me a good 2.5 - 3 Hours to go through one of those online checklist and document things.

After owning several cars this is the way I’ve started to look at Tesla.

They are somewhere between a low volume, expensive, hand built, but quirky car, like say the wood framed English Morgan and high volume low cost mass market Asian, but not Japanese car.

In either case there are quirks to ownership. The owner of the cheap Chinese or Korean car is just disappointed but understands they get what they pay for. The owner of the expensive hand built British car made largely from wood and hand form metal accepts it a known part of ownership for these type of cars. IE cars where you have to cut our the rotted plywood floor after so many years and put new “PLYWOOD” in the bottom of your car.

Tesla presents as one thing, while really being another, and you have to just understand and accept (to some extent) what you’re getting.

The biggest folly with Tesla isn’t the poor fit, finish, and quality control; it’s the lack of constant and consistent message from customer service.

Additionally inspecting my first car I went in knowing what to look for but still never having done it before I took people that had and we went though the car. The second time I went by myself without any checklist and went through the whole car top to bottom inside 15 min.

Reactions: pkitch
Thanks for everyone that replied. I definitely want this to be not only a lesson learned by myself but also to New potential owners NOT to pay for the vehicle in advance but to only do this once the vehicle has been inspected which may have to be at your own request before signing any paper work. Hoping for the best outcome here really as I did enough research to know this was somewhat expected with the exception of the return policy change and what seems to be a much stricter policy (at least at my Service Center) for fixing cosmetic factory defects.

@glide - To be honest, the issues I have are not Knit picky issues, these to me are unacceptable. If Tesla is not willing to resolve these and I am expected to have them fixed at my expense by a third party. Then I will consider myself a detractor for recommending these cars and will not be a loyal customer. It's unfortunate because I want to see Tesla Succeed, but this will not help their cause if they want to become a major player in the Auto Industry.

UPDATE:
Took my car into the service department yesterday and the Major paint issues on the hood will be taken to a body repair shop to be repainted by Tesla. They provided a Model S loaner as the repairs they complete will take well into next week. I also saw that they ordered a new rear left side dry cleaning hanger assembly (Likely to fix the out of place rear trim piece). The good thing is everything is documented, I'm not holding my breathe that they will fix the alignment issues. I will likely argue the "Within Spec" argument as I think they are measuring the panel gap in the areas such as the Rear Hatch, which isn't a panel gap per say but clearly the hatch is not seated correctly and is raised. But as others have mentioned it may not be worth pursuing all alignment issue as I know "Fixing" some of these could cause other areas to be out of alignment.
I’m not saying they shouldn’t fix them for you or that you aren’t right to want them fixed.

Simply that they won’t do it. In case you have t figured it out by now, Tesla is not in the customer service business. They already have your money for the vehicle. That’s the end of the transaction for them.

Customer service with any large corporation is always at the consumer level. I've owned many cars, have inspected them thoroughly prior to driving off the lot, and found issues very similar to everyone's observations here. I've refused delivery only once, but I've never been disappointed with the point of sale customer service, probably because I've never bought from anyone that I couldn't trust.

Since Tesla SCenters are few and far between, we're stuck with the way each local mgmt handles the service. We have fewer options, as there just aren't any alternatives. For example, I have at least 3 Toyota dealerships within 15 miles. One of them will never get my business, as I've had issues with them (a typical high-volume dealership with poor customer service). The 2nd one WAS my dealership (service, never bought from them), and when their superb service director moved to a 3rd dealership, I went with him (along with several service advisors and techs!!!). I will always go to this dealership, as the service director is consistent, trustworthy, and reasonable...and...honest. (one time, after a tech had overtorqued lug nuts, when I returned with the car, he brought the FE tech out INTO THE LOBBY to apologize to me!)

There is one Tesla service center in Fort Worth. I've been hanging out there for the past month, getting to know the staff, making them aware that I DO MY RESEARCH!! They're friendly, informative, and they always answer my questions, sometimes after having to do a little research. They KNOW they don't know everything, especially working for a mercurial company like Tesla. They know that I will challenge their knowledge, and learn along with them as Tesla evolves. I hope to maintain mutual trust, which has to come from both sides!

It remains to be seen how they'll treat me when I take delivery of the Y in 10 days or so. I'm predicting the healthy, reasonable relationship to continue...(and yes, I can hear some of you laughing, spitting out your coffee!!!!)

Last edited:
Customer service with any large corporation is always at the consumer level. I've owned many cars, have inspected them thoroughly prior to driving off the lot, and found issues very similar to everyone's observations here. I've refused delivery only once, but I've never been disappointed with the point of sale customer service, probably because I've never bought from anyone that I couldn't trust.

Since Tesla SCenters are few and far between, we're stuck with the way each local mgmt handles the service. We have fewer options, as there just aren't any alternatives. For example, I have at least 3 Toyota dealerships within 15 miles. One of them will never get my business, as I've had issues with them (a typical high-volume dealership with poor customer service). The 2nd one WAS my dealership (service, never bought from them), and when their superb service director moved to a 3rd dealership, I went with him (along with several service advisors and techs!!!). I will always go to this dealership, as the service director is consistent, trustworthy, and reasonable...and...honest. (one time, after a tech had overtorqued lug nuts, when I returned with the car, he brought the FE tech out INTO THE LOBBY to apologize to me!)

There is one Tesla service center in Fort Worth. I've been hanging out there for the past month, getting to know the staff, making them aware that I DO MY RESEARCH!! They're friendly, informative, and they always answer my questions, sometimes after having to do a little research. They KNOW they don't know everything, especially working for a mercurial company like Tesla. They know that I will challenge their knowledge, and learn along with them as Tesla evolves. I hope to maintain mutual trust, which has to come from both sides!

It remains to be seen how they'll treat me when I take delivery of the Y in 10 days or so. I'm predicting the healthy, reasonable relationship to continue...(and yes, I can hear some of you laughing, spitting out your coffee!!!!)
You are in for a rude awakening

You are in for a rude awakening

I knew when I posted that folks would challenge my perspective.

We'll see, won't we? Incompetence exists all around us (uhh...including within us). We need to learn how to navigate it. Hopefully, I will NOT have a rude awakening, at which point I'll sympathize with you (and others) and hopefully not have to empathize!

IF I find I need to empathize, I probably won't hang around long here and I'll get out of the Tesla world.

That’s weird, I’ve had all three of those things successfully addressed by Tesla service at various times.

What is your personal experience in this department?
Not my experience either...
I’m not saying they shouldn’t fix them for you or that you aren’t right to want them fixed.

Simply that they won’t do it. In case you have t figured it out by now, Tesla is not in the customer service business. They already have your money for the vehicle. That’s the end of the transaction for them.

The statement that it’s the end of the transaction isn’t true. My personal experience has been that everything I listed both at delivery and post has been resolved.