Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ReGen level shifter pedals for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems incredibly complicated. Just turn on cruise control, and the Tesla will use the absolute minimum amount of energy necessary to keep you at 100kph.

What's complicated in lifting your foot off the throttle and relax for a while, while at the same time you don't use energy to get along? I just don't get this obsession people have when it comes to "simplifying the interior". Not every "button" (as in button, paddle, shifter or whatever manual device) lost is making things better or easier to use.

Coasting is better in the scenario I described because the option you decribe assumes (and the car would either) that you want to keep going at 100kph thus using energy, whatever little amount, to keep that speed. Coasting doesn't and thus is the most energy efficient way for the described scenario.

Reactions: Topher
If a person has that much trouble moderating their speed with the accelerator pedal then they might need other modifications of the car for handicap accessibility.

This is an extremely nasty comment which I take personally, as I do indeed have such a handicap and am glad that the coasting options I have in some of the cars I drive (not the BMW in my avatar though unfortunately) or may drive in future (like the Ioniq, B-Class ED etc.) offer relief in that area.

Glad that you don't have such a handicap. But simply dismissing people who would appreciate the Model 3 having such a handy feature (that other BEVs offer) which even people without disabilities could find useful is really uncalled for.

Tesla has made regen perfect.

For your needs, maybe. Objectively, not really. Perfect is a very strong word and as such always questionable.

In a Tesla you can adjust your speed with just one foot/pedal. You can adjust both acceleration power and regen power from zero to full very easily and smoothly and conveniently with your foot. There is no advantage or benefit to brake it up to separate controls. If you want to coast, just hold the pedal at the same position, JUST LIKE YOU WOULD when you want to keep the same speed on a freeway. [...]

Wrong. If I want to maintain a certain speed on the Autobahn, I activate cruise control. The scenario I described, which makes up more than 50 percent of our daily driving, is a different matter. And as I said above, juggling your foot to hit a certain point on the pedal (and keeping it exactly there) is far more strenuous for some people than you might be able to imagine. A feature like those paddles, which many people would love (and those who don't wouldn't have to use them anyway), adds a real convenience plus.

Every time you hit the brakes in an ICE you are destroying (kinetic) energy. You can save fuel by looking ahead and putting the car in neutral and let it coast to a red light if you are lucky and have the space and the cars behind you are not getting annoyed with you.

Coasting is not putting the car in neutral. Doing so uses fuel. Engine braking doesn't (or at least much less than putting the car in neutral). Coasting is in a way "engine braking light", i.e. much reduced friction thus maintaining current speed far longer.
Take my word for it, we had a standard Touran for years, with no coasting ability. We now have had our current Touran (same basic engine, same hp, same power output, but with coasting ability) for five years now, the latter uses almost 1.5 litres per 100km less than the old one. Our driving habits and usage patterns of the two cars are identical, the difference is the coasting. You notice the difference on every drive you make.

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK
Your gliding is the definition of coasting and your coasting is engine breaking in a pure ICE.

Hybrids and EVs tend to confound things due to the abilities of electric motors.

Engine braking deliberately increases drivetrain drag to slow down the vehicle. In an ICEV that means downshifting. The Prius B mode uses the traction motor to spin the engine.

Engine braking is _not_ the same as coasting.

The use of gliding (Germans say sailing) to distinguish from coasting is to imply a deliberate attempt to reduce the drivetrain drag, which coasting does not imply. Coasting merely means you've stopped applying power. You can coast on a bicycle.

Topher was writing about gliding which would imply holding the power at 0 or shifting to neutral. I pointed out the difference because some people seemed to be misunderstanding what he meant by coasting, interpreting it as lifting off the accelerator.

In an ICEV that means downshifting.
In an ICE you do not have to purposely downshift to engine brake. It happens the when you take your foot off the gas in any gear. Granted it happens with less effect in higher gears for obvious reasons.

If you'd like to read more about engine braking I can point you to the wiki: Engine braking - Wikipedia

Coasting is described here:
Energy-efficient driving - Wikipedia
In the section regarding coasting while in gear, they imply engine braking in a high gear.

Last edited:
Glad that you don't have such a handicap. But simply dismissing people who would appreciate the Model 3 having such a handy feature (that other BEVs offer) which even people without disabilities could find useful is really uncalled for.
I'm flatly dismissing such a thing as I would dismiss the notion of putting a joystick into every car. People who need such features can have them added and this is typically paid by insurance. There's no need for this in every car. You shouldn't take it personally that not everyone needs features which are functionally redundant to what they already have, in this case: an accelerator pedal.

I'm flatly dismissing such a thing as I would dismiss the notion of putting a joystick into every car. People who need such features can have them added and this is typically paid by insurance. There's no need for this in every car. You shouldn't take it personally that not everyone needs features which are functionally redundant to what they already have, in this case: an accelerator pedal.

You simply don't get it.
With every one of your posts on the subject you display that you have not the slightest clue what I described or why those paddles are such a handy feature. Who cares whether it is called coasting, sailing or whatever. The effect I described is real. And didn't you see the effect those paddles had on Bob in both the video about the Ioniq as well as that about the B-Class ED? Just because you can't see the value in such a feature doesn't mean it wouldn't be a valuable addition to the car.
But I rest my case, because I there is just no reasoning with you if you don't even understand the premise.
Be happy with whatever you drive. I'll see if the Model 3 I reserved works for me when the time comes. If not, it's good to know there are good alternatives now.

preferably a continuous range.

This makes me imagine an analog knob.

clean-metal-sound-control-knob-ui-design.jpg

I've driven manual for all of my driving career (save the current XV), and engine braking is a great tool. I can't stand ICE automatics that coast and don't slow down, requiring excess pedal braking. I've driven the Model S multiple times and I really like the level of braking that occurs from the regen.

Chevy is only adding this paddle for people who arent used to "engine braking" like a manual and so they will hit the brakes like normal and compound that with regen for an uncomfortable experience. This is to help them transition, but really it's just another example of why everyone (that is able) should learn to drive stick.

Sure, there is an (effectively) analog knob on the Model S steering wheel now. All I am asking for is to be able to repurpose it to regen level. It already has the capability of being repurposed.

2013-tesla-model-s-steering-wheel-photo-493120-s-1280x782.jpg

Thank you kindly.
Would setting the regen to low via the main screen not work?

As I have a stick I don't normally travel not in gear. So coasting seems like a foreign concept.

Can someone explain to me what the advantage is to have a knob/handle adjust the strength of regen power when you can adjust the regen power already precisely and conveniently with the pedal where my foot already is?
My foot allows me to adjust speed as well as positive and negative torque as I like.
The only time I don't want to keep my foot on the pedal is on long freeway drives where I use cruise control.

Reactions: jonnyg and JeffK