Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking control missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my MSLR+ Sat. I don't have the low button. I'm having a hard time getting used to driving a Tesla. I can't get my foot to modulate the gas pedal when slowing to make it smooth. I would give up a little range to be able to drive the car smoothly. I guess I will eventually learn it, but dang. The creep and roll modes don't really help as they work only when I am almost already stopped. Elon, give back the option to turn down regen braking (at least until we learn to drive). I will trade fart mode for it.

So to report back. Associate told me it has DEFINITELY been removed. His take was its related to achieving epa numbers. Not a company statement. Who knows if it will be brought back. He did say that if people complain it would help it to make a return.

From Tesla’s own user manual WARNING: In snowy or icy conditions Model S may experience traction loss during regenerative braking, particularly when in the Standard setting and/or not using winter tires. Tesla recommends using the Low setting (see To Set the Regenerative Braking Level on page 68) in snowy or icy conditions to help maintain vehicle stability.
As i live in Norway in winter I only use Low and studdless winter tires, we have a lot of icy and snow covered roads.
So using standard reg in winter is not an good option

• Funny
Reactions: Irata and Barry
This is disappointing. I'm all for standard re-gen but we should have the choice. For those who are intimidated by driving electric, this makes it worse. And yes, I would certainly like the option to use low re-gen when driving down a snowy pass.

For EPA numbers, my understanding was that they use whatever the car defaults to. If it defaults to standard re-gen, having the option for low re-gen shouldn't hurt the numbers at all, any more than having the ability to floor the accelerator (or Sport/Ludicrous mode, etc).

He did say that if people complain it would help it to make a return.
Who do we complain to?

I believe EPA range testing involves averaging the results of the different drive modes (or something to that effect). The result is that having the low regen option reduces the vehicle’s EPA rating even though most people don’t use the low regen option.

So why only the Model S? I think it was the difference between >400 miles of range and <400 miles of range.

This is disappointing. I'm all for standard re-gen but we should have the choice. For those who are intimidated by driving electric, this makes it worse. And yes, I would certainly like the option to use low re-gen when driving down a snowy pass.

For EPA numbers, my understanding was that they use whatever the car defaults to. If it defaults to standard re-gen, having the option for low re-gen shouldn't hurt the numbers at all, any more than having the ability to floor the accelerator (or Sport/Ludicrous mode, etc).

Who do we complain to?
He didn't say and unfortunately I didn't think to ask.

I believe EPA range testing involves averaging the results of the different drive modes (or something to that effect). The result is that having the low regen option reduces the vehicle’s EPA rating even though most people don’t use the low regen option.

So why only the Model S? I think it was the difference between >400 miles of range and <400 miles of range.
I believe you are correct.

Exactly. Same reason that sport mode on most cars doesn’t stick after a restart. If a car depends on a configurable setting to achieve its EPA consumption rating, it must automatically revert to the efficient setting upon restart to get full credit.

If it ever comes back, say for winter conditions, it will have to reset to standard after each drive.

Reactions: Big Earl
I just got a 2020 model S and the regen braking and range mode setting are missing. I thought the creep and roll modes were the replacements for low regen braking, but now I realize that is a different setting related to how the vehicle behaves when stopped.

I just posted about this regen setting in another thread. Regen braking is now is anti skid and anti slip in either setting. The settting to lessen the regen effect was removed in the fall of 2020 because it is no longer of any benefit, even in snowy and icy condifitons. The full regen which is standard and not adjustable on the newer models is safe to use in snow and icy conditions, and ther older models don't seem to need the setting, as their anti-skid capabilites have been fixed to work on either full or partial regen setting. The partial regen setting only decreases range and efficiency. No Tesla is sold with this extra setting anymore.

Says someone in Kentucky I'll believe it when an experienced winter driver comments on it. Nothing personal! :)

Well now you have :)

I did try to crash my car a few weeks ago going up the mountain. (In the name of science of course). That is; I purposely did everything I could to try and have the back wheels lock up during regeneration. The snow was slippery, the battery was fully warm (full regen), I have Nokian WRG4's (10% tread left; third season) and I purposely turned in a chicane motion (left then right, alternating with right then left) and then chopped the accelerator, on a downhill section of a straight road to try to get the back end to come around; it did not. I tried around corners by turning in a tighter radius than the actual corner and then chopping the accelerator: No hint of the backend of the car breaking traction. The front tires started to push (slide) however, which implies the regen bias is actually tilted towards the front motor.

Now I have no idea how the regen bias was in the years before, or what update it might have changed in, or whether traction control was kicking in the rear faster than I could sense it, but assuming the new model S's powertrain operates the same as mine, I would conclude there is nothing to worry about. Therefore no reason to have a regeneration adjustment.

I recall this discussion before in some other thread, but didn't search for it and forgot to post. (edit: I guess this was the thread??? )

No, I don't recommend anyone else try this. ;)

Thanks Dark Cloud. Good to know. BWY, I also have WRG4's (second season) and they do great in the snow. Better than the MXM4 and A/S 3+ I had previously.

Yup, Nokian invented the snow tire and in terms of winter tires know what they are doing as well as any manufacturer on the planet. If I recall correctly you asked me some questions about them a few years ago...

Reactions: BigNick