Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking on icy roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snow and Ice Mode !

This setting, minimum for doing similar to off-road assist 4 wheel drive all the time.
- chill acceleration
- reduce regen

I have been using off-road assist on the snowiest / slippery days in Tahoe this winter.. it makes a big difference, especially on side roads / steep slippery driveways.
- I have the regen low setting, although I've never noticed a slipping related to regen like breaks locking up (on previous cars).
- chill mode same thing, makes sense, but good tires (vredstein quatrac pros for our kind of driving / location) and off-road assist make the biggest differences.

I haven't noticed or needed the traction control, but could see it being good with awd all the time.
Right...but not reduce regen, but rather *balance* regen front/rear. Also, for those of us with a recent MY, you can't change regen levels at all (just get your battery cold, I guess).

Do you find the standard throttle map really non-linear? I have not felt the mode to either Chill or Sport myself...
Yeah I find the accelerator too aggressive in my M3P (in Sport). It takes a careful, light touch to modulate for a slow takeoff. I get used to it and do it just fine but it's kind of annoying and uncomfortable if I think about it. I notice it most when I switch cars, I take off way quicker than I intend from the first stoplight or two. And the other car is an S P85...also a quick EV.

The S P85 accelerator map might still be more aggressive than what I used in my ICE cars, but I don't really remember for sure, it's been too many years since going EV/Tesla.

Even when I'm driving fast I've never wanted an aggressive throttle map. One of my ICE cars had a dial controller for switching between 3 throttle maps. Neat idea, but I ended up never using the more aggressive or less aggressive maps, no matter if I was on a race track or driving through a blizzard. (That car was great fun for both those things!)

@Duncan Parks Btw the accelerator pedal map feels better in Track Mode with regen cranked up. Then more of the pedal travel gets used for regen. I'm not sure if the acceleration portion of the travel is actually less sensitive, probably it's not, but it feels a little easier to modulate being further down in the pedal travel.

But extra strong regen that's still mostly from the rear motor isn't what I want for snow and ice driving.

Reactions: Duncan Parks
Disabling traction control seems useful for the snow, no?

Is Tesla TC smart enough to allow all wheels spinning in the snow/ice, so you can use power to help turn/point the car at speed?
It absolutely does not allow you to power through anything. Winter tires are definitely key for this car. My ford edge awd I can get by fine with all seasons and dropping the hammer when I need some wheel spin to power up something slippery or get some throttle induced directional control. The Tesla will just slowdown and stop on a slippery hill (zero wheel spin, slip start or off-road assist no different). And any attempt at throttle steering is a lost cause. Yeah you can break the ties free for like a 5 degree “drift” if you want to call it that but you need decent traction for the car to actually move you. No throwing snow with it that’s for sure.

It absolutely does not allow you to power through anything. Winter tires are definitely key for this car. My ford edge awd I can get by fine with all seasons and dropping the hammer when I need some wheel spin to power up something slippery or get some throttle induced directional control. The Tesla will just slowdown and stop on a slippery hill (zero wheel spin, slip start or off-road assist no different). And any attempt at throttle steering is a lost cause. Yeah you can break the ties free for like a 5 degree “drift” if you want to call it that but you need decent traction for the car to actually move you. No throwing snow with it that’s for sure.
Have you tried off road assist? Mine will spin till there's no tomorrow

I have a June 2021 model y WITHOUT the option to adjust regen. Im currently on FSD Beta(not sure if that makes a difference). Can anybody confirm that the S3XY buttons will work on my model y to turn off regen? Regen is downright scary in Michigan so far. Thanks

Have you tried off road assist? Mine will spin till there's no tomorrow
Tried Off-road assist and slip start. If I’m on a flat sort of slippery road I can mash it with Off-road assist on and get some wheel spin as long as there is enough traction to accelerate. Extremely low or poor traction, ie uphill in deep snow, the car will just cut back the power and stop and give a tiny bit or tire spin, not enough to throw any snow back. The factory continentals will work in mild snow on flat terrain but the Y needs proper snow tires if you have a real winter.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Tried Off-road assist and slip start. If I’m on a flat sort of slippery road I can mash it with Off-road assist on and get some wheel spin as long as there is enough traction to accelerate. Extremely low or poor traction, ie uphill in deep snow, the car will just cut back the power and stop and give a tiny bit or tire spin, not enough to throw any snow back. The factory continentals will work in mild snow on flat terrain but the Y needs proper snow tires if you have a real winter.
Interesting we have some icy grades here next time it dumps I'll do some more testing

First day on Ice with factory 20" tires, the regen brakes put me into a fish tail. The old method of letting off the accelerator when on ice is not going to work. Did switch to 19" winter tire package and have learned to just slightly feather off accelerator and seems much better. Going to need to relearn a bit, and that makes it a bit scary to be honest. I have driven in winters my entire life, and don't mind sliding around when I do it on purpose, but not a fan on a 2 lane road with on coming traffic. I would prefer to turn off regen when winter conditions exist. I love the regen all other times.

No there is no notification. I have a button on each side of the steering wheel, with the left one configured to set the regen to 0% and the right one configured to set the regen to 100%. There is a bug in the s3xy buttons firmware where the 0% regen button actually acts as a toggle between 0% and 100%. It really hasn't been a problem, but if I needed to make sure that regen was turned off, I would press the right button (100%) followed by the left button (0%). Really though, I have never been confused and it is immediately obvious when I start to lift off the pedal.

The buttons also come with an ios/android app that displays the current regen status in realtime (along with speed, power per motor, torque per motor, and a few other things)

2021 MYP here with the Gemini wheels & winter tires.

While driving on snow, a sudden release of accelerator with onset of regen braking causes rear to get a bit squirmy for a moment.

This car really needs a snow mode to keep traction control strong, balance out AWD, and reduce regen braking. This seems so easy to do. Come on Tesla!! Safety should take priority over regen braking in snow/ice conditions.

Will try off road assist today.

While driving on snow, a sudden release of accelerator with onset of regen braking causes rear to get a bit squirmy for a moment.

This car really needs a snow mode to keep traction control strong, balance out AWD, and reduce regen braking. This seems so easy to do. Come on Tesla!! Safety should take priority over regen braking in snow/ice conditions.

Totally agree with the need for Snow Mode. It would be easy.

Off road assist does nothing for deceleration, unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2