Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking on icy roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This car really needs a snow mode to keep traction control strong, balance out AWD, and reduce regen braking. This seems so easy to do. Come on Tesla!! Safety should take priority over regen braking in snow/ice conditions.
It seems that, since one of the recent FW updates, there is now a "snow mode" on Teslas, which activates automatically when slip is detected.

From comments on this video by Bjørn, on dual motor versions it "now uses both motors at around 55/45 power distribution for several minutes after it detects slip. Same is used for regen, acceleration and steady driving." This other Youtube video shows it in action on a dual motor M3.

Reactions: OxBrew and DrGriz
I have had more than one close call with this issue. It is literally criminal that there is no way to disable regenerative (read: uncontrollable) braking when conditions demand it. Hopefully it won't take a class action lawsuit for Tesla to move this to problem to the front burner.

When you let off the accelerator in slippery conditions and the immediate braking initiates a slide/hydroplane all you can do is pray.
I agree. Everyone ncan say just lightly let off, but you may or may not have time to lightly let off. Definitely need a snow/ice mode to turn off Regen.

I guess this is a bit of a thread revival

I really really wish they would add the regenerative braking adjustment slider back for non FSD cars

I’ve had my model 3 for one year now and in the winter for the most part, the regenerative braking was a none issue as the road conditions are generally consistent but driving through the mountain passes to get to the hill the roads will be good but then there will be some ice in a corner where normally I would slow down but sometimes I forget how strong they come on and it’s made me slip a few times and I can feel the traction control kick in

I consider myself a pretty well experienced driver and it still throws me off from time to time and I really wish they would allow us up in the cold regions to make these adjustments to feel safer

Reactions: pbcsd
For some reason I suspect 2 things. Most of the commenters supporting Teslas on this topic, either have not driven a car with real stability control or do live in an area where slippery roads are really rare. Dry frozen snow or ice is not slippery. Living in Norway, I do experience slippery road conditions with, wet ice or polished snow most of the winter. My 2 other cars, where the oldest is a 20 year old saab, tackle these conditions with ease. It still impresses me, and I do push the limits knowing the car fixes everything with its superb ESP. You feel how it brakes the correct wheels to magically adjust the direction of the car. The transition to Tesla is like driving a toy car. It is horrible and nonforgiving. Lots of the aquaplaining videos with the teslas really should be a wakeup call. I wish tesla would come with an update on this issue. Defending them wont bring any change. I dont dare to let my wife drive it during winter. I want an update on the stabilitycontrol, if it really exist and ABS regenerative braking system.

For some reason I suspect 2 things. Most of the commenters supporting Teslas on this topic, either have not driven a car with real stability control or do live in an area where slippery roads are really rare. Dry frozen snow or ice is not slippery. Living in Norway, I do experience slippery road conditions with, wet ice or polished snow most of the winter. My 2 other cars, where the oldest is a 20 year old saab, tackle these conditions with ease. It still impresses me, and I do push the limits knowing the car fixes everything with its superb ESP. You feel how it brakes the correct wheels to magically adjust the direction of the car. The transition to Tesla is like driving a toy car. It is horrible and nonforgiving. Lots of the aquaplaining videos with the teslas really should be a wakeup call. I wish tesla would come with an update on this issue. Defending them wont bring any change. I dont dare to let my wife drive it during winter. I want an update on the stabilitycontrol, if it really exist and ABS regenerative braking system.
I agree with you that Tesla can do a better job with this and I want it, too.

We know our cars can sense loss of control and that they have stability control. I have watched it happen on an icy parking lot with another person driving their model Y. I would think that the cars would be capable of turning off Regen in the instant they sense loss of control, and that might help. I would guess, as you suggest, the improvement could happen with a software update. Maybe they are working on this.

In the meantime, when this happens, keep your foot on the skinny pedal. That is when stability control can do its thing. Poor control is better than no control. 🍻

Last edited:
Reactions: Headache
Most the people in this forum are not used to winter conditions. In Norway winter driving is part of your lisence. If you dont master it, you wont get your driving permit. Sheet ice and -20 degrees C is nothing special. We do have grippier winter tires than the americans, but we are also used to proper stability control, esp. To be honest, this is the most unpredictable car I have driven. Even my previous cars from the 80s and 90s were easier to handle. I really dont want to cover for Tesla here. I like the car, but want the worst flaw fixed. A wintermode and even rainmode with reduced power, and reduced regenerative braking is very important.

Most the people in this forum are not used to winter conditions. In Norway winter driving is part of your lisence. If you dont master it, you wont get your driving permit. Sheet ice and -20 degrees C is nothing special. We do have grippier winter tires than the americans, but we are also used to proper stability control, esp. To be honest, this is the most unpredictable car I have driven. Even my previous cars from the 80s and 90s were easier to handle. I really dont want to cover for Tesla here. I like the car, but want the worst flaw fixed. A wintermode and even rainmode with reduced power, and reduced regenerative braking is very important.
I live in an area that is very similar to parts of Norway (settled by Finns). The very first thing I did when we finally actually got our Model Y was try to order snow tires. It was February and it took about 5 minutes of driving to realize that we needed to do something. I wanted Hakkas, and due to the supply chain issues and time of year, there were none to be had initially. I spent evenings checking inventories. Finally, 6 studded Hakka 10s showed up in the regional (4 western states, so huge region) inventory. I snagged 4 when they showed up in the warehouse and anybody else was out of luck.

I live in an area that is very similar to parts of Norway (settled by Finns). The very first thing I did when we finally actually got our Model Y was try to order snow tires. It was February and it took about 5 minutes of driving to realize that we needed to do something. I wanted Hakkas, and due to the supply chain issues and time of year, there were none to be had initially. I spent evenings checking inventories. Finally, 6 studded Hakka 10s showed up in the regional (4 western states, so huge region) inventory. I snagged 4 when they showed up in the warehouse and anybody else was out of luck.
Great tires. Studded hakka is probaly the best selling winter tire in Norway. Luckily good tires are readily avaliable here I have the hakkapelitta r3 studless tires. Had various generations of studless Nokian for over 20 years. Great tires until the surface get soaked in rain.

Reactions: DrGriz
I find this baffling. In Spokane, we have ice on the side streets months at a time, weeks at a time it's everywhere, every kind of condition, packed snow, black ice, slush on top of ice, everything. The Y is as good as our 2014 Subaru Outback was, in a lot of ways, much better. We have very sticky studless snow tires, I forget exactly which ones, but they are among the best.

I learned in a few blocks never to just lift off the go pedal suddenly (unless I want to have some fun). I just feather it, and I can find exactly the regen I need for the conditions. We drive up and down a mountain to the Nordic Ski area almost every weekend, the roads are steep, twisty and icy. We do go pretty slow on the ice, but not grandma slow.

Been driving in the snow for almost 20 years, in 3 different Subarus, 2 trucks, an old minivan and several front wheel drive sedans. The Y is better than most, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I find this baffling. In Spokane, we have ice on the side streets months at a time, weeks at a time it's everywhere, every kind of condition, packed snow, black ice, slush on top of ice, everything. The Y is as good as our 2014 Subaru Outback was, in a lot of ways, much better. We have very sticky studless snow tires, I forget exactly which ones, but they are among the best.

I learned in a few blocks never to just lift off the go pedal suddenly (unless I want to have some fun). I just feather it, and I can find exactly the regen I need for the conditions. We drive up and down a mountain to the Nordic Ski area almost every weekend, the roads are steep, twisty and icy. We do go pretty slow on the ice, but not grandma slow.

Been driving in the snow for almost 20 years, in 3 different Subarus, 2 trucks, an old minivan and several front wheel drive sedans. The Y is better than most, in my opinion.
Dont know if subaru are delivered with esp in the states. In europe it is mandatory. The energy released by the Y, when it slips, can make it almost uncontrollable. The rear wheel bias and the sudden movements are not a preferred behaviour in my opininion.

Reactions: DrGriz
Dont know if subaru are delivered with esp in the states. In europe it is mandatory. The energy released by the Y, when it slips, can make it almost uncontrollable. The rear wheel bias and the sudden movements are not a preferred behaviour in my opininion.
Yeah, our Subaru had really good traction control (called TCS here). It was like driving a tractor on velcro. Our Y is just as stable. This is why I'm baffled. Like everything with Tesla, it seems like different individual cars have really different behaviors. I guess we got lucky.

Last edited:
Putting it in Chill mode helps. But I agree, the rear wheel bias is a huge problem compared to the Subaru (I have had 3 Foresters). It's like driving a pickup truck on ice, which I have done for at least 35 years.

As others have said, and I repeat, feathering helps greatly with dealing with this. But the truth is, with Regen you will automatically brake in an emergency, because the instinct is to take your foot off the skinny pedal and Regen takes over. In vehicles without regen, especially ICE, you still have energy going to the wheels when you take your foot off the pedal in panic, and in that moment hopefully you don't brake (I'm sure you know that). Then you have that second or so to gently try to drive out of the skid.

Yes, turning off regen for the winter is an option (S3XY Buttons) but not realistic. It needs to turn off instantly when there is slip (I think).

🍻

No, regen completely cutting when wheels slip is not he solution. Other EVs do that and it's unsettling. You expect regen and suddenly the car doesn't slow down at all.
The Tesla immediately lowers regen and tries to get it back up to the limit of traction. As I've written on other posts, you need to go over the limit to find the limit. On a dual motor, the car will immediately start using the front motor for regen when that happens, and it will also use that front motor even in gentle acceleration for a while. It will constantly try to go back to rear bias when traction gets better.
Essentially, regen adjusts itself a bit like abs does when braking, trying to stay close to the traction limit. It's the best they can do. We just need to get used to it and stop letting go of the accelerator hard.

No, regen completely cutting when wheels slip is not he solution. Other EVs do that and it's unsettling. You expect regen and suddenly the car doesn't slow down at all.
The Tesla immediately lowers regen and tries to get it back up to the limit of traction. As I've written on other posts, you need to go over the limit to find the limit. On a dual motor, the car will immediately start using the front motor for regen when that happens, and it will also use that front motor even in gentle acceleration for a while. It will constantly try to go back to rear bias when traction gets better.
Essentially, regen adjusts itself a bit like abs does when braking, trying to stay close to the traction limit. It's the best they can do. We just need to get used to it and stop letting go of the accelerator hard.
Thanks. That's very helpful.

Yeah, our Subaru had really good traction control (called TCS here). It was like driving a tractor on velcro. Our Y is just as stable. This is why I'm baffled. Like everything with Tesla, it seems like different individual cars have really different behaviors. I guess we got lucky.
TCS is not ESP. It is traction control and do not automatically correct the cars direction. With ESP the car will use the brakes to help changing direction. TCS is traction control and ABS only. What Is Electronic Stability Program(ESP) And Traction Control System(TCS)? How ESP And TCS Works?

Reactions: dzajic
That is the problem with one pedal driving. Easy at first, but when you really need the brakes you have some bad habits. I would prefer brake blending in these situations. Or an option to use brake blending, with 2 pedal driving.