Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking on icy roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few more trips up the canyons, my protocol is:
  • Very low speed (getting in and out of deeper snow in parking spots): Try first in normal settings, if that fails try Off-Road assist or slip-start.
  • low to medium speed (under 35mph, surface roads, canyon roads, snow roads): Normal settings, maybe turn on chill mode but not a big deal
  • higher speed (35 - 50mph, highway): Chill mode, disable regen entirely
  • high speed (over 50mph): Don't
Agree. I’m not comfortable using Off Road Assist above very slow speeds since it disables traction control.

Agree. I’m not comfortable using Off Road Assist above very slow speeds since it disables traction control.
I agree that you shouldn't have to make that choice; Tesla needs to have a "limited traction" mode that does what Off-Road Assist does for front/rear torque balance without turning off traction control. For me, the cost is worth the benefit of balanced regen braking, but to each their own!

My experience trying Off-Road Assist on a snowy car park was that the reduced traction control definitely made the car drift a lot more when cornering, as compared to regular mode when it barely drifts at all. Quite entertaining, but because of this personally I wouldn’t use it on, say, a twisting mountain road.
You could just use Slip Start and be the drifting champ! In a safe location, of course...

This is really annoying, there needs to be a way to turn off regen in these situations, not all Tesla's are in SoCal and where the traction control is great, coasting is a lot safer in these situations. They made it default high so that it would be what EPA uses but a temporary disablement with auto enable when car starts again like how traction control switches usually work would be great.
you can effectively coast if you apply the exact right amount of pressure on the accelerator but it's admittedly not the most user friendly solution not to mention during stressful ice driving can easily be forgotten / overlooked / panic / die

Reactions: DrGriz
you can effectively coast if you apply the exact right amount of pressure on the accelerator but it's admittedly not the most user friendly solution not to mention during stressful ice driving can easily be forgotten / overlooked / panic / die
CHILL mode is the closest thing we MY owners have to dialing back regen (and throttle). It is very helpful to me on snow/icy roads.

Reactions: alexcue and DrGriz
It's helpful to disable traction when the car is stuck, but TC is needed to prevent lose of control when driving.
Never had/used traction control on my ICE cars, and never felt a need for it in the snow with AWD and decent tires. They didn't have the instant torque of a Tesla of course. I guess I'll find out if it's more difficult to modulate the throttle on a Tesla.

Actually it probably IS more difficult in Sport mode. I really don't like how aggressive and non-linear the M3P Sport accelerator map feels, like 30% of pedal travel requests 70% of torque (made up numbers). Chill mode is bad too, I don't want max torque/power limited, I just want a more gradual and linear throttle map. This isn't even an EV-specific issue, I've encountered ICE cars that had stupidly aggressive throttle maps too. It's gimmicky and useless and makes driving smoothly unnecessarily difficult.

On my own ICE cars it was easy to reprogram the ECU's throttle maps. I had them set to feel very linear, making it easy to module the throttle, while still have full torque available when pressing the pedal most of the way down. Would be nice if we could do the same on a Tesla. I'm sure they'll never do this, but it would be awesome if they added a touchscreen UI for fine-tuning custom accelerator maps!

Snow and Ice Mode !

This setting, minimum for doing similar to off-road assist 4 wheel drive all the time.
- chill acceleration
- reduce regen

I have been using off-road assist on the snowiest / slippery days in Tahoe this winter.. it makes a big difference, especially on side roads / steep slippery driveways.
- I have the regen low setting, although I've never noticed a slipping related to regen like breaks locking up (on previous cars).
- chill mode same thing, makes sense, but good tires (vredstein quatrac pros for our kind of driving / location) and off-road assist make the biggest differences.

I haven't noticed or needed the traction control, but could see it being good with awd all the time.

Never had/used traction control on my ICE cars, and never felt a need for it in the snow with AWD and decent tires. They didn't have the instant torque of a Tesla of course. I guess I'll find out if it's more difficult to modulate the throttle on a Tesla.

Actually it probably IS more difficult in Sport mode. I really don't like how aggressive and non-linear the M3P Sport accelerator map feels, like 30% of pedal travel requests 70% of torque (made up numbers). Chill mode is bad too, I don't want max torque/power limited, I just want a more gradual and linear throttle map. This isn't even an EV-specific issue, I've encountered ICE cars that had stupidly aggressive throttle maps too. It's gimmicky and useless and makes driving smoothly unnecessarily difficult.

On my own ICE cars it was easy to reprogram the ECU's throttle maps. I had them set to feel very linear, making it easy to module the throttle, while still have full torque available when pressing the pedal most of the way down. Would be nice if we could do the same on a Tesla. I'm sure they'll never do this, but it would be awesome if they added a touchscreen UI for fine-tuning custom accelerator maps!
Do you find the standard throttle map really non-linear? I have not felt the mode to either Chill or Sport myself...