TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Regenerative Braking: Standard Mode Quit Working

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MichaelP90DL, Oct 10, 2019.

1. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

I have my car set to Standard for regen braking. This morning, I unplugged the cable, planted my foot on the brake, flipped into drive and took off. A surprise happened as I approached a stop sign: The car barely slowed. Hit the brake. I checked the driving screen and standard regen braking was active. I tapped low regen then standard. Resumed driving. Low regen only. What the heck? I pulled over and stopped. Put it in park, exited and the car turned off. Got back in, resumed driving, but still low regen only. I had a 70-mile trip to LA to do, so I took off, using Autopilot. An hour later, I exited AP and noticed standard regen was finally working. I made a few stops at various shops, and when I resumed driving, the car remained in standard regen. That was a little weird.

Has that happened to anyone else?

2. GHammer

GHammer What a long strange trip its been.

Lancaster was pretty cold this morning.

• Like x 1
  3. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

G Hammer, ya didn't rename here. ??

:)

4. GHammer

I have contacted admins and submitted request through contact us to have it changed but so far no action has been taken.

5. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I've not tried, but I thought we could do that ourselves. I am sure you tried. Just surprised we can't. Hmmm.

6. GHammer

7. Alex362

Alex362 Member

What was your state of charge when you started trip?

8. MichaelP90DL

100%. Up from around 40% the night before.

9. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

so two things if you've never experienced either:

1. if your battery is at 100% SOC you will have virtually NO regen until there is enough "room" in the battery to store the power generated back in.

2. What was the ambient temperature where you live when you left ? Have you ever seen the dotted lines where the re-gen green line shows ? That means the battery is too cold and won't accept a charge. I live in a cold place; if the pack is below freezing I have virtually no regen ever until the pack heats up enough

• Informative x 1
  10. Ole Capt

Ole Capt Member

Regen doesn’t work at 100%. You good

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. Jarvisd1015

Jarvisd1015 Member

This was definitely due to your SOC. I think it's the mid 90's when regen braking starts working. I had this same surprise when I rented a Tesla on a trip and it was fully charged.

• Like x 1
  12. MichaelP90DL

Oh heck. You're right. Thanks for the reminder. LOL

13. GHammer

I guessed wrong. A cold soaked battery will also not accept a charge and have reduced regen until it warms up. It was on my mind since that's what I ran into this morning, 16F and parked outside.

14. Jim T

Jim T Member

Happened to me today. Battery charge @ 60%. Ambient Temp 64 deg F. 'Regenerative Braking' set for standard. Tried toggling between 'standard' and 'low' several times to no effect. Can't think of any other reason for Regen braking being limited....

15. rsg123

rsg123 Member

You’re lucky. At 100% SOC I get absolutely zero regen. The car feels as heavy as it actually is when I try to come to a stop.