Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking: Standard Mode Quit Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my car set to Standard for regen braking. This morning, I unplugged the cable, planted my foot on the brake, flipped into drive and took off. A surprise happened as I approached a stop sign: The car barely slowed. Hit the brake. I checked the driving screen and standard regen braking was active. I tapped low regen then standard. Resumed driving. Low regen only. What the heck? I pulled over and stopped. Put it in park, exited and the car turned off. Got back in, resumed driving, but still low regen only. I had a 70-mile trip to LA to do, so I took off, using Autopilot. An hour later, I exited AP and noticed standard regen was finally working. I made a few stops at various shops, and when I resumed driving, the car remained in standard regen. That was a little weird.

Has that happened to anyone else?

I have my car set to Standard for regen braking. This morning, I unplugged the cable, planted my foot on the brake, flipped into drive and took off. A surprise happened as I approached a stop sign: The car barely slowed. Hit the brake. I checked the driving screen and standard regen braking was active. I tapped low regen then standard. Resumed driving. Low regen only. What the heck? I pulled over and stopped. Put it in park, exited and the car turned off. Got back in, resumed driving, but still low regen only. I had a 70-mile trip to LA to do, so I took off, using Autopilot. An hour later, I exited AP and noticed standard regen was finally working. I made a few stops at various shops, and when I resumed driving, the car remained in standard regen. That was a little weird.

What was your state of charge when you started trip?

100%. Up from around 40% the night before.

so two things if you've never experienced either:

1. if your battery is at 100% SOC you will have virtually NO regen until there is enough "room" in the battery to store the power generated back in.

2. What was the ambient temperature where you live when you left ? Have you ever seen the dotted lines where the re-gen green line shows ? That means the battery is too cold and won't accept a charge. I live in a cold place; if the pack is below freezing I have virtually no regen ever until the pack heats up enough

• Informative
Reactions: Snowstorm

Happened to me today. Battery charge @ 60%. Ambient Temp 64 deg F. 'Regenerative Braking' set for standard. Tried toggling between 'standard' and 'low' several times to no effect. Can't think of any other reason for Regen braking being limited....