Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, range. It’s range is not as good as advertised. I don’t drive a lot and it looses a lot just driving like 20 miles. When I had my gas car, I filled up less times than I “fill up” my tesla. Second, the ride quality is horrible. It’s not as cost effective as everyone says it is.
It is more cost effective per mile if you do the math and look at the raw data rather than base everything on the guess-o-meter which is range on car’s display. Also assuming you do not have rediculous electricity rates. My Volt cost me 0.03 cents to drive when running on electricity and it had a lower MPGe than my MYP.
All electric cars have to guess in regards to available range and they tend to be conservative to avoid people getting stranded. Many topics about how to get true efficiency values of your car in this forum and every other EV forum. Looking at the guess-o-meter is not the way to judge.
That being said, perhaps EVs are not for you. Probably best to sell and just enjoy life. It’s just a car.

I dunno maybe I’m still on gas mentality. But like plugging or filing up your car every day is just weird comparing to just filling up your car with gas once a month. Just gotta get used to it.
That is the whole point of having an EV. Plug it in every day, so you are always full when you start off the day. Having an ICE and an Ev are two completely different experiences and mindsets.

On my volt remember that taking many small trips during the day made the car’s range estimator decrease faster than expected. The battery really was more full and when I took longer trips then guess-o-meter would recalibrate and not decrease range as fast…just mentioning this since you said you thought car lost range too quickly on small trips. Pretty sure Tesla has same behavior. But again, if all this is too stressful and anxiety inducing, you can sell your model y at good prices these days.

My only regret and still feel betrayed by the fact that MYP doesn’t get anywhere close to the advertised range 🤦🏻‍♂️ Not even close! I just hate being deceived period. Otherwise I love everything else.
To get better range put MYP in chill mode. I tend to drive in chill mode in crowded city streets and during rush hour traffic where I know I can’t make use of insane 0-60

No but I cannot say that I would have it as my only vehicle either. It's great for running around town. Short trips dont take a toll on EVs the way they do on ICE, even in the winter. My electric rate is $0.08/kWh. Will see what winter brings...I don't think I'd want to road trip in a Tesla during winter because of range hit. Stopping way too often when my Q7 goes over 500 miles on a tank.
While I agree that it's great for running around town and short trips don't take the same toll as on an ICE vehicle, I also firmly believe it's a great road trip car. I've stated before, even if it were on range par with your Audi at 500 miles, I don't see me driving that far or sitting behind the wheel that long; I've been in the MS 90D for almost 3 hours and didn't enjoy it (more enjoyable than an ICE, but still not ideal). Same with my MY.
Do you drive 500 miles? That's about 6+ hours. I used to drive 3-4 hours in a Lexus hybrid but once I started driving the Tesla I realized how much more relaxing it was than the ICE. Less vibration, less noise, more stops to stretch and relax. I did lots of road trips in the Tesla when I lived in NW Ohio. Detroit, Chicago, Upstate NY, Columbus. Never a problem (for me) because I wasn't interested in range but rather getting to the next charger with 10% SoC then taking off with about 50%. Again, a relaxing 2 hours followed by a 15-20 min stretch and relax, etc. YMMV.
Perhaps, ultimately, it's a state of mind sort of thing. We are all comfortable with and want different things. The driver assist allows me to take in more scenery; I drive at up to 75mph instead of trying to pass everyone at 80-85 in the ICE and it's far more relaxing to let everyone pass me.

No regrets here. I don’t “mind” ICE cars nor do I EVangelize, but I have enjoyed not having to stop at sketchy gas stations and inhale fumes once a week, as well as freedom from oil changes etc. Not having to hear the same scam stories from the bums waiting at the gas station who claim they ran out of gas and need gas money…

Also the performance level/instant power is nuts.

You know what, Nevermind. I just drove my moms Mercedes. I hated it.
Haha, now we must know why you hated it? What was it?

I find the most glaring thing stepping into an ICE is just the entire smoothness of driving thing. Our other car is a new RAM 1500. While I really like the the truck, I just don't like how "rough" the entire ICE experience is now. I wished our truck was an EV.

Haha, now we must know why you hated it? What was it?

I find the most glaring thing stepping into an ICE is just the entire smoothness of driving thing. Our other car is a new RAM 1500. While I really like the the truck, I just don't like how "rough" the entire ICE experience is now. I wished our truck was an EV.
Well, I think I’m just used to one pedal driving now. And just the whole ease of driving.

Reactions: Johnny Vector