Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No regrets whatsoever. Though I have idly wondered many times whether I should have gotten grey (vs silver) or dual chargers (though so far I haven't been in a situation where they've been available and would have helped me).

And while it certainly would have been nice had AWD and autopilot been available when I ordered, I have no intention of upgrading any time soon.

That's a tough question to answer. Autopilot looks so attractive but I bought mine a year before it was available. And I've had a great year with the car (especially the summer) and I'm not getting any younger. I also look at this car as more like buying a computer or electronic device than a car. Regrets are inevitable when buying anything electronic, but life is too short to dwell on them.

I wish I would've waited to buy the car until after the D announcement and picked up a used P85 on the cheap. Also regret not pushing Tesla more on the extensive paint damage (swirling and marring) and some deeper scratches everywhere on service loaner I bought without being able to see it in person (I'm in GA it was in CA)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and not buying more TSLA early on

Last edited:
That's a tough question to answer. Autopilot looks so attractive but I bought mine a year before it was available. And I've had a great year with the car (especially the summer) and I'm not getting any younger. I also look at this car as more like buying a computer or electronic device than a car. Regrets are inevitable when buying anything electronic, but life is too short to dwell on them.

best response!

I got the dolphin grey and my only regret is that they don't make the color anymore!! Love this color
pano...if I hd to do it again I'd put pano on my car (didn't when I got mine)
sound...wish I'd upgraded to the HF sound.

when the D and autopilot was first announced I was extremely upset that my car would now be obsolete...that's how I felt until about a month ago when I was able to drive an autopilot loaner and it had all the 6.1 features. And ya know..I found that I LOVE the car I already have! So I proudly say that I have the P85 CLASSIC!!

Last edited:
Zero regrets, I got exactly what I wanted and paid for, and having bought sight unseen it was better than I had imagined. I have always wanted the dolphin gray with gray leather interior, though... In addition to my beautiful blue. I can't imagine ever parting with my first love!

No regrets at all. I've driven (leased/owned) a lot of cars, and the Model S is my favorite, without exception. Simply amazing.
Do I wish I had the air suspension, the D, the upgraded sound? It would all be nice, but it's like blue crab on lobster, and I'm fine with just the lobster.

Did you get the wrong colour? Sort of. Got solid white for my P85. Got pearl white for my P85D.
Did you get the S, but wish you got the P?
Did you get the P, but wish you got the S? No way.
Did you get the 19's, but wish you got the 21's? No way.
Did you get the 21's, but wished you got the 19's?
Did you get the pano, wished you got the non-pano? No way.
Did you get upgraded sound, but wished you hadn't? No way.
Did you make a mistake buying a Tesla? Nope. Wish I had bought a Tesla sooner! Wish I had bought stock sooner too!

No regrets at all. I've driven (leased/owned) a lot of cars, and the Model S is my favorite, without exception. Simply amazing.
Do I wish I had the air suspension, the D, the upgraded sound? It would all be nice, but it's like blue crab on lobster, and I'm fine with just the lobster.
Karma, I'm surprised I don't spot you more often... My parents and sisters all live in the tiny town of Safety Harbor. I'm especially surprised since I love the gray and never miss it when I see one!

I did not get the upgraded sound - very disappointed with standard sound - not sure if upgraded is that much better

Well, we've had three of them so far, and driven several service loaners, so here are our observations:

1. Our 2013, a summer build S85 had: 21" wheels, Studio Sound, Tech Pkg, Air Susp, and cruelty-free Textile Seats. It was lost to a flood but we loved it, only wishing for the many options that came out later (folding mirrors, Parking Sensors, etc.). No Pano roof as I've driven far too many that squeak and creak--why pay extra for hassles down the road? It was replaced with:

2. P51691, one of the last S85's built withOUT the sensor suite (but with the new steering column). Tesla had massively increased the cost of the options so we left out the sound system upgrade ($950 to $2.5k; REALLY?!?) and the 21" wheels, but we added the parking sensors and fog lights. Wow, I had no idea that the base sound system could be soooo unbelievably bad! Granted, it might have just been our individual system, but it could not even play talk radio without cracking sounds coming from the speakers. Our local service center never fixed it (nice guys all, but oh so overwhelmed with service and delivery cars for the entire DFW area), so after 4 weeks, and being bent over by Tesla on the trade-in value, we traded it in for a now "on hold" S85D, or perhaps a P85D, depending upon when Tesla gets its act together vis-a-vis the NextGen seats. (We don't think destroying the environment, and blowing the brains out of sentient animals to sit on their skins, is acceptable, but would prefer the NG Seats, so we'll wait.) Oh, and it's not like this is new news--try this UN report from 2006 on for size:

Livestock a major threat to environment

Also, in comparison to the 21" wheels, the 19" Michelins on this car felt terrible--like it was driving on a wet road ALL THE TIME. Couldn't accelerate without the traction control light going crazy, and as for stopping--best to call ahead and make a reservation. How do you folks with 19" wheels tolerate such lack of grip? Oddly, I think it's just a function of the different tire footprint orientation, and taller sidewalls, but oh, what a difference. Car and Driver has a data point for us with their recent test of a S60:

Tesla Model S Reviews - Tesla Model S Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

"Stopping distance from 70 mph, however, increased from 160 feet in the P85 to 174 in the 60."

That 14' felt like a mile on our S85....

3. To tide us over until Tesla gets its act together on our 2015 P85D (or S85D) above, we found MS #3 on eBay: a 2013 P85 with very high miles. Studio Sound is back and it has 21" wheels, so that's good. What's not good is that the seller was VERY selective with his eBay photographs, and failed to disclose significant impact damage to the front of the car, even to the point of hiding it, as suggested with some peculiar use of glue to attach the front fender liners to the core support. Nice! We're now having to use eBay's Vehicle Purchase Program to see what they'll pay for the repairs as I type . . . what an asshat.

So, the only regrets are that:

A. Tesla works to save the environment with one hand, while helping destroy it on the other, by not switching from using murdered animal parts in their cars.

B. Tesla doesn't make the standard wheel at least 20".

C. The base sound system is so atrocious.

Last edited:
Also, in comparison to the 21" wheels, the 19" Michelins on this car felt terrible--like it was driving on a wet road ALL THE TIME. Couldn't accelerate without the traction control light going crazy, and as for stopping--best to call ahead and make a reservation. How do you folks with 19" wheels tolerate such lack of grip? Oddly, I think it's just a function of the different tire footprint orientation, and taller sidewalls, but oh, what a difference.

Pretty much all tire compound, assuming there was no TP discrepancy. The non-staggered 21s have the same tread width and rolling diameter as the 19s...amd while the rims are .5" bigger, it basically all boils down to about the same contact patch shape. With like-for-like tires the 19's will actually provide more grip due to the compliance of the taller sidewalls.

Also, take it easy with the preaching thing.

I'm on my 2nd Tesla. The first was an S85, mostly loaded. With this, I regretted a few things.

(1) I regretted not getting the rear seats. I figured I would never use them, but when given a loaner that had them, I found them very useful. My kids love them as well. Many more circumstances where I would drive the Tesla around vs our SUV.
(2) I regretted not getting the P. Again, it was driving a loaner that triggered this. I had so much fun driving it - I had no idea that the performance variant would make so much of a difference
(3) I did NOT regret not getting the 21" wheels. Esp. with the S85. The 19" are just fine and they looked great. More importantly, they make the range pretty damn good on this car
(4) I did not regret my paint or interior selection. I sometimes wondered if black was the best color to get given that it heats up in the summer
(5) I kind of regretted not getting my car tinted after seeing how good other's cars looked.
(6) I did not regret getting an early manufactured car (mine was within the first 3K made). However, I paid for it with many trips to the service center to get things fixed like the glue on my sunroof, wind noise, a broken rear window, ... All of these were things that I expected I would have and to be quite honest, I'm impressed that it wasn't that bad. I was more jealous when things like folding mirrors and parking sensors came out.

So....

I fixed ALL of these issues with the P85D. Got the improved performance, went with a lighter interior (grey), got the rear seats, got the autopilot hardware, and many other things. Now, with the D, I do have a few regrets:

(1) I regret that the new model does not have the ambient lights as a stock feature. I don't think I would have paid another $4k for the premium interior as it seemed way over priced for what you get. But I do miss those lights
(2) I sort of regret losing space in the frunk - I didn't know that I would when I bought the P85D, but it made sense when we found out. Still, I will miss that space.
(2) I totally regret the range of the P85D. It is by far the worst feature of the car. There are many places I now can not go with the car because they are beyond its range. I wish Tesla was a lot more transparent about range issues. When it comes to performance or the quality of the car, they do not overhype. But when it comes to range, they come very close to misleading. I have never gotten "rated mile" range on either my D or my S85.
(3) I don't regret the upgrade, but it cost me a lot more than I had originally planned. First because of me - I tricked up the P85D way more leading to a much more expensive car than I had forecasted. Then, I got about 10% less for my S85 than I had planned. Selling a Tesla in the Bay Area with all the early adopters, is not a great idea. If I were to do it again, I'd ship the car to CO, TX, or FL and sell it there. Far less inventory, fewer early adopters, more interested buyers (in a lower priced Tesla)
(4) I don't regret getting the center console. I had no idea how much better this would make the car. I wish I had gotten it for my S85

Now, the P85D MIGHT get better with the new firmware and we'll see. If it gets close to Tesla's claims, I will feel good about the whole thing. If it doesn't, then I might regret getting the P85D vs the S85D. While I LOVE the performance, the reality is that I don't need it that often, and I would prefer to drive this car more and I do care about range. So, here's hoping that we get close to S85 range.

I totally agree with what someone said earlier. These cars are computers on wheels with all the benefits (upgrades) and drawbacks (faster to obsolescence). Overall, they are fantastic automobiles and it really isn't worth regretting anything with a Tesla. Most of all, what I'm super excited about, for the first time since driving my dad's old 1966 Ford Mustang, I'm now driving an American made car - made just down the st. in Silicon Valley - and it is AWESOME!