Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reinventing service...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well then thank you Amped and Merrill for clearing both of those up. I wish they would clarify their documents on their website then, because they are totally wrong. I would love to hear something a wee bit more official than taking a forum poster's response as gold (no offense) so will likely reach out directly to the email address you provided. Thank fully I still have plenty of time, and I am actually trying to hold out on this decision at least until the shareholders meeting, since they should ideally announce the service stuff at that point... whatever change that entails.

Or pay a small $100 a time if you ever need ranger service.

Maybe you've misunderstood or maybe US has a different rule, but in EU the rule is €100 per ranger visit that includes 100km of driving. If the distance to customer is longer the added tariff is 1€ / km in core market and 2.5€ / km outside core market and any tolls and fees will be added. So by that rule from Copenhagen the cost for me would be ~€2000 per ranger visit and I cannot buy a pre-paid ranger plan.

Now for warranty work Tesla is willing to compromise on actual cost. For that they flew a ranger to me and the promise was that I'd cover the initial flight + hotel cost and any extensions etc if repair took longer would be covered by Tesla. I guess that is for warranty work, doubt it'd be for generic repair work beyond warranty (i.e. repairing the car after a crash or what not).

If they've amended the 4 year service plan - that change hasn't made it to the agreement posted on My Dashboard - which still states "4 regularly scheduled maintenance inspections at the following intervals: 12,500 miles or 1 year, 25,000 miles or 2 years, ...".

The website still says for the 4 year plan - "Tesla Service for four years" and "Up to 50,000 miles".

If they've converted the plan to 4 years, unlimited mileage - that's a significant change and doesn't appear to be documented on the website, in the agreements or in anything they've provided in official communications to me, after I purchased my 8-year/100K mile extended service plan.

Since I'm hitting 25,000 miles in the next week, about 1 year after getting my Model S - changing the service plan to 8 years with unlimited mileage would be pretty significant...

Can anyone (Tesla?) confirm there has been an official change in the service plan mileage coverage?

If they've amended the 4 year service plan - that change hasn't made it to the agreement posted on My Dashboard - which still states "4 regularly scheduled maintenance inspections at the following intervals: 12,500 miles or 1 year, 25,000 miles or 2 years, ...".

The website still says for the 4 year plan - "Tesla Service for four years" and "Up to 50,000 miles".

If they've converted the plan to 4 years, unlimited mileage - that's a significant change and doesn't appear to be documented on the website, in the agreements or in anything they've provided in official communications to me, after I purchased my 8-year/100K mile extended service plan.

Since I'm hitting 25,000 miles in the next week, about 1 year after getting my Model S - changing the service plan to 8 years with unlimited mileage would be pretty significant...

Can anyone (Tesla?) confirm there has been an official change in the service plan mileage coverage?

I know Amped posted his email correspondence on page 4, but I e-mailed Tesla as well and I will let you know when I get a response. Maybe the reinvention of service will be covering everything routine over a time frame vs. mileage.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am a financial guy, so I count every last penny ;)

I know Amped posted his email correspondence on page 4, but I e-mailed Tesla as well and I will let you know when I get a response. Maybe the reinvention of service will be covering everything routine over a time frame vs. mileage.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am a financial guy, so I count every last penny ;)

I'm not a financial guy, I am just barely within my means to buy a Tesla so have to be very conscious about where the money I spend is going. So I am right there with you. This is why I think the best advice (if you can hold out) is to wait until the announcement and see how the plan changes. Since it is supposed to be a change for the better, I would think that would be the best value proposition. If however you can't wait, you have two options... Go with a yearly basis, which will run you 600, or go with the prepaid, which will save you money at the risk that everything is going to change on you here in a couple weeks.

If ypu watch todays Elon talk at Amsterdam event one guy asks about service when he drives 80k / year. And Elon laughs that no way does he have to do maintenance as often as 20k km. To not worry about it etc. I think they are going to announce fully that NO service is needed. We'll see ahat Tesla does to you who pre-bought though...

So far, cars under warranty with no service plan are receiving exactly the same benefits. You would be wise NOT to buy the service plan until the value becomes clear.

I think everyone is severely discounting the value in the comprehensive inspection that comes with the annual service. The techs at the Service Centers really do go through the car with a fine-toothed comb for the better part of a day. At $125/hr, this is no small thing. And seeing as how Tesla has not saddled their service departments with a profit incentive, they are motivated to fix anything they find.

I will most definitely take advantage of this every 12,000 miles. There's value in it to me.

I think everyone is severely discounting the value in the comprehensive inspection that comes with the annual service. The techs at the Service Centers really do go through the car with a fine-toothed comb for the better part of a day.

Maybe this holds true at the least busy service centers in the country where there is little time constraint. When my car goes in, every service action is either a bulletin or upon request. I don't think they have much time to go over every car with a fine toothed comb seeing as there always seem to be ~50 cars there at any given time.

I appreciate that you may find value in the inspection, but the reason I bought the service plan was for hardware upgrades and there seems to be no consensus as to what that entitles us early adopters to. And, boy, could my car ever use a hardware upgrade right now...

Maybe this holds true at the least busy service centers in the country where there is little time constraint. When my car goes in, every service action is either a bulletin or upon request. I don't think they have much time to go over every car with a fine toothed comb seeing as there always seem to be ~50 cars there at any given time.

I appreciate that you may find value in the inspection, but the reason I bought the service plan was for hardware upgrades and there seems to be no consensus as to what that entitles us early adopters to. And, boy, could my car ever use a hardware upgrade right now...

You car could use a hardware upgrade...what are you thinking?

I understand what the agreement says. When it was announced that the car didn't really need service every 12,500 miles and an annual check up was sufficient, a poster on this forum inquired with their service center and they were told that the prepaid service would cover 4 services regardless of miles.

The tire rotation thing is really driving me nuts. If you prepay for scheduled maintenance with any other car brand it includes all routine maintenance for x years and x miles. Yet I've read on here that if I prepay for service I have to also pay for a tire rotation in it doesn't fall in line with the annual service.

I'm hoping that the reinvention of service occurs before I buy my plan!

I had my tires rotated at 6000 miles at no charge. Called up the service center, made appointment, took in the car. Waited for less than an hour at the service center and drove off with no charge. Plan to have them rotated again at 12000 at my (slightly less than) one year service. Please note I did get the prepaid service for 8 years. Now, I don't know if that was against policy or what, it was however my experience.

+1

I also questioned 2 different service reps when brought my car in for service. They both confirmed that it's still annual or 12.5K whichever occurs first.

Well then thank you Amped and Merrill for clearing both of those up. I wish they would clarify their documents on their website then, because they are totally wrong. I would love to hear something a wee bit more official than taking a forum poster's response as gold (no offense) so will likely reach out directly to the email address you provided. Thank fully I still have plenty of time, and I am actually trying to hold out on this decision at least until the shareholders meeting, since they should ideally announce the service stuff at that point... whatever change that entails.

With approximately 40k miles in the first year w/ the car, I would be excited if my 4+4 Anywhere service covered the car 8 years w/ unlimited mileage...if only...

And then do the same for the ESA which I have yet to purchase...

With approximately 40k miles in the first year w/ the car, I would be excited if my 4+4 Anywhere service covered the car 8 years w/ unlimited mileage...if only...

And then do the same for the ESA which I have yet to purchase...

That was pretty much what Elon told to the guy in Amsterdam who claims he drives 600k km in 8 years. That's about 45k miles / year. He was asking Elon how the service was cheap when he'd have to do 4 services per year costing him 2400€. Elon laughed and said no way you need to bring the car in 4x a year, just ignore the milage part and bring it in once a year (or something of the kind). He literally laughed at the thought of bringing the car in 4x in a year. He didn't accept that at 600k km the battery would be at 80% or that if it's below that this would be part of warranty. JB did point out that the guy would be saving so much money on gas that he shouldn't really care if he needs to buy a new battery (I think someone did the math and it's basically that he gets the Model S for free).