Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery, now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With those issue, it sounds like it wasn't a new car. I definitely wouldn't have accepted it either. When I received mine, everything was practically perfect. I did notice that the driver side door had a gap. But mobile service was able to fix it at my home which I was very impressed by.
Yep, you would think, but it only had 9 miles on the odometer. Really puzzling.

It's a car drive it
So, these things couldn’t be fixed with a service appointment? Considering you are in a tight spot, just take it and fix the issues after.

Blink's buying a brand new car. Brand new cars shouldn't require immediate repairs and service appointments.

This isn't like an open box item you purchase at Best Buy. A car is literally the second biggest purchase most people own. A brand new car should be in pristine condition. We need to stop normalizing this idea that a paying customer should reduce their standards to accommodate a billion dollar company.

Blink's buying a brand new car. Brand new cars shouldn't require immediate repairs and service appointments.

This isn't like an open box item you purchase at Best Buy. A car is literally the second biggest purchase most people own. A brand new car should be in pristine condition. We need to stop normalizing this idea that a paying customer should reduce their standards to accommodate a billion dollar company.
Well said. You can walk on a Mitsubishi lot and not find half the issues on their cars that you see with Tesla’s.

When buyers look the other way, then it just further enables their behavior. I’d LOVE to be a salesman to some of the people on here saying to just accept the car.

There is no way of stopping this unless people take their money elsewhere to another manufacturer. What’s the point of rejecting a car and then picking it up a few weeks later? Maybe at the end of the quarter but at the start?

As I noted, the OP was in a tight spot and could’ve picked up the car and then got it taken care. But I get it, the car should not come with problems but this is a pattern from Tesla.

Well said. 👍🏻

There is no way of stopping this unless people take their money elsewhere to another manufacturer. What’s the point of rejecting a car and then picking it up a few weeks later? Maybe at the end of the quarter but at the start?

As I noted, the OP was in a tight spot and could’ve picked up the car and then got it taken care. But I get it, the car should not come with problems but this is a pattern from Tesla.
I am sure there is some metric that tracks denied vehicles. Vehicles that are denied are not being sold (Tesla is losing money), and most likely then need to be repaired which costs Tesla more money (also need to pay technicians more hours to fix brand new vehicles).
Therefore it is in Tesla’s best interest to fix these quality issues if they want to improve there bottom line.

I have purchased many ICE vehicles, and it is not unusual for me to need to take it back to the dealership with a list of things that need to be done after purchase.

That shouldn't be the case. A brand new vehicle should be in new, pristine condition. If you think it's normal, your expectations are lower.

No difference with EVs.

EVs are no different. But Tesla is different. With other cars you can inspect them and test drive them before agreeing to a $40,000 - $110,000 purchase. Tesla's are purchased sight unseen. Delivery inspection is the only and first time to see the Tesla before accepting that $40,000 - $110,000 contract. So if there are any problems with it, this is the time to raise those concerns.

I buy new cars every few years. There are basically NEVER any fit/finish problems.
My last few were from Hyundai (Sonata's) and my current is a Kia Stinger GT2 (perfect at delivery).
My delivery date has been moved from April 30 to May 1 (no big deal).
I am very nervous about taking delivery, and plan taking a friend to assist in inspection
before paying for it. If it has poor quality, I will reject it.
If I do reject the car, I think Tesla just contacts the next person in line and offer it to them.
Perhaps they won't be so discriminating and accept it. I don't think the make repairs and try
to resell them. They gotten so used to people accepting all the flaws it has become typical
instead of out of the ordinary..... SAD.

I buy new cars every few years. There are basically NEVER any fit/finish problems.
My last few were from Hyundai (Sonata's) and my current is a Kia Stinger GT2 (perfect at delivery).
My delivery date has been moved from April 30 to May 1 (no big deal).
I am very nervous about taking delivery, and plan taking a friend to assist in inspection
before paying for it. If it has poor quality, I will reject it.
If I do reject the car, I think Tesla just contacts the next person in line and offer it to them.
Perhaps they won't be so discriminating and accept it. I don't think the make repairs and try
to resell them. They gotten so used to people accepting all the flaws it has become typical
instead of out of the ordinary..... SAD.
Lol yeah, hire inspection committee while you at it.

I'm heading down to Devon later this week to buy my first Tesla, a LR MY, and I'm hoping it won't have any issues. If I have to reject it then I'll be without a car because I'm giving my current Crosstrek to my mom tomorrow, lol.

The thing I'm worried most about is whether the MY will have the dreaded water pump noise which has been a rare issue since June of 2021. To check for that I need to get inside the car, I only need to open the door and sit in the seat to tell if it has the noise or not. I know service centers are fighting doing anything about the noise and stating "it's normal" so if my car has and they refuse to do anything about it (before I accept delivery) I will instantly reject it.

Crossing my fingers, only a few days now....

Reactions: Arthur Itis
I'm heading down to Devon later this week to buy my first Tesla, a LR MY, and I'm hoping it won't have any issues. If I have to reject it then I'll be without a car because I'm giving my current Crosstrek to my mom tomorrow, lol.

The thing I'm worried most about is whether the MY will have the dreaded water pump noise which has been a rare issue since June of 2021. To check for that I need to get inside the car, I only need to open the door and sit in the seat to tell if it has the noise or not. I know service centers are fighting doing anything about the noise and stating "it's normal" so if my car has and they refuse to do anything about it (before I accept delivery) I will instantly reject it.

You and I have a similar mindset. My MYP is due sometime in January but the lease on my current car isn't up until March. That gives me leverage to reject the MYP if it isn't at least close to perfect. I really feel that Tesla isn't going to improve quality/delivery experience until enough people start rejecting cars.

take the delivery if everything looks good. Do not go by their "we will fix after delivery", especially at Devon where some folks are straight out dumb a** idiots. You get a better customer care at local Walmart than at Devon Tesla location.

I got a M3 and MY from them, trust me, this location can probably compete for the worst Tesla service location in entire US probably.

You are better of going to Lancaster PA location for any repairs. Those guys are true professionals.

take the delivery if everything looks good. Do not go by their "we will fix after delivery", especially at Devon where some folks are straight out dumb a** idiots. You get a better customer care at local Walmart than at Devon Tesla location.

I got a M3 and MY from them, trust me, this location can probably compete for the worst Tesla service location in entire US probably.

You are better of going to Lancaster PA location for any repairs. Those guys are true professionals.

I've been told that by others as well. Such a shame about Devon, but yep I am already planning to go to Lancaster for any servicing. :cool: