Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejecting my 2020 Tesla M3P after 4 months of ownership. Sad day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It comes with great regret that I have decided to request rejection of my 2020 M3P. After 7 service centre visits to fix/attempt to fix >20 faults, I have decided that enough is enough when I was immobilised yesterday in my work car park unable to drive >15 MPH due to a frunk lock failure

I plan to reject the car as per the consumer rights act citing unsatisfactory quality

Can anyone who has been down this road with Tesla offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

20 faults :(

What sort of issues have you had? I don't have any experience of rejection but as far as I know the only requirement is giving them the ability to try and resolve it, which with 7 visits one would assume qualifies.

That said - it presumably would depend on the severity of the faults, too?

I'd be interested to know what faults you had and why they were still unable to fix them after 7 visits!

>20 sounds excessive and I'd be curious to know if these were PDI issues (which I assumed were better with the MIC) or if they developed after delivery?.

On the verge of rejecting mine to be honest.

Car has spent 4 weeks in service centre in total over 10 month ownership.

Loads of panel misalignment, terrible paint issues (all doors had black shadows in the paint), water in lights, misaligned window with a 15mm gap in it.

Shame really and I wish it wasn’t so cos I love the car but the build quality on mine is laughable.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Rejected my first M3 last year. Individual circumstances and the approach finance companies take will vary probably depending on if it’s a clear cut case or not. There are a few good online guides: Which, Citizens Advice etc.

Put it in writing to the lease company and go from there. Polite, set out the problem and what you want as a resolution. Attach Tesla invoices (download as .pdf from app). My first correspondence went recorded delivery but their online complaint form will probably do. They went back to Tesla to discuss the issue with the branch manager. Once they’ve agreed you meet the criteria, agree settlement. Check BVLA guide on damage. Photos before collection. Empty car. Factory reset. Hand over keys. Suspend insurance. Dis-own the car in your Tesla account. Payment about 1 week. It went straight to auction. Took a few weeks from the start of the process. They used 1 months payment to offset wear and tear for each 1k driven. For me that seemed pretty fair to both parties. Tesla / Blackhorse were pretty good about mine YMMV.

Rejected my first M3 last year. Individual circumstances and the approach finance companies take will vary probably depending on if it’s a clear cut case or not. There are a few good online guides: Which, Citizens Advice etc.

Put it in writing to the lease company and go from there. Polite, set out the problem and what you want as a resolution. Attach Tesla invoices (download as .pdf from app). My first correspondence went recorded delivery but their online complaint form will probably do. They went back to Tesla to discuss the issue with the branch manager. Once they’ve agreed you meet the criteria, agree settlement. Check BVLA guide on damage. Photos before collection. Empty car. Factory reset. Hand over keys. Suspend insurance. Dis-own the car in your Tesla account. Payment about 1 week. It went straight to auction. Took a few weeks from the start of the process. They used 1 months payment to offset wear and tear for each 1k driven. For me that seemed pretty fair to both parties. Tesla / Blackhorse were pretty good about mine YMMV.
What issues did you have with your M3 to warrant rejection and how long after ownership did you request it?

Yep.

Supercharger Network, Range, AutoPilot, all swung it for me. No car is without foibles and I could live with the M3’s.

If you want to travel long distance in the England right now with an EV the Supercharger Network is the only reliable, sensibly priced, strategically located, easy way to do that. In 3 years I think the equation will change. Ecotricity broken. Instavolt off the motorway. Ionity broken, expensive and lack coverage etc etc.
VW hadn’t quite resolved their software issues at the time- there was less choice last year.

Reactions: Rustybkts
I'm going to follow this out of interest because I fear, that you will end up with a battle on your hands. Consumer rights can be bloody hard work to get sometimes.

Very unfortunate that you've had this experience with your car though. I consider myself so lucky with mine that other than one little niggle, which is currently being sorted, has been fantastic.

Sorry you are having all these issues. Got to say you seem to be a complete outlier with so many issues. I am pleased to regularly read that most issues are completely resolved very quickly. Better luck with your next car!
Excuse me sir... you are either Elon incognito - or must own almost as many TSLA shares as he does.

Back here on planet Earth - Teslas with issues are not outliers.

As a Californian, it's kind of embarrassing that an assembly plant down the highway can't get its act together, particularly when we're shipping thousands of these things across the pond.

Excuse me sir... you are either Elon incognito - or must own almost as many TSLA shares as he does.

As a Californian, it's kind of embarrassing that an assembly plant down the highway can't get its act together, particularly when we're shipping thousands of these things across the pond.
What is more horrific is that a 'Made in China' label is seen as an improvement!!

Tesla needs to hire away Lexus assembly line gurus. These panel gaps and poor finish are embarrassing. I knew about these, still decided to buy for the tech and dual EV motor handling. My purists car friends just can't.

Can anyone who has been down this road with Tesla offer any advice?

I am not sure if you've said this elsewhere, but how did you purchase the car? I presume direct from Tesla?

You are quite right that you need to give them a chance to repair. Are the 20 defects all unrelated to each other? Were all these issues from day one which you reported? Faults at time of delivery are what really matter here, not faults that have developed since.

For simplicity, you need clear examples of issue(s) you reported from new. Issues which they said will be repaired and they attempted to repair but the vehicle was returned still with the same issue(s). It'll help to produce a very clear a timeline of events starting from delivery day, along with any written confirmation from Tesla that the issues will be fixed (include copies of the service request from the app).

Difficulties may arrive if you continue to use the car. The six month timeframe doesn't include the time in for repair, so you likely have longer. This is so a dealer can't drag the issue beyond 6 months.

You may have legal advice available on car or home insurance, this could be useful.

• Helpful
Reactions: M3noob and Durzel
Tesla needs to hire away Lexus assembly line gurus. These panel gaps and poor finish are embarrassing. I knew about these, still decided to buy for the tech and dual EV motor handling. My purists car friends just can't.
That is so true.

I still have my 2005 Lexus in addition to our Model S.

It is as drum solid and reliable as ever. I still marvel when I take it on the road.

Surely Tesla can get 1/2 way there ? That doesn't seem so difficult -

If Elon can stop obsessing about FSD and fix these apparent quality issues, the total addressable market for Tesla is huge.
I'm sure he's not overly interested in FSD, let alone obsessing about it. The amount of things that have turned out to be complete bulls*it over FSD it's amazing anyone believes anything he says anymore. Quality isn't even on his radar, never has been, never will be until people stop buying the product.