Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISome people like Bjorn want even more stats than what is already displayed. And some of us have grown accustomed to having all the information/commands right away instead of having to go through different tabs to see them. So the new UI will be optional to those who want it.
Yes :). The reason I bought Remote S is that it shows more info that the Tesla OEM app does, and everything is available on one screen (I dont own an Apple Watch so that feature is not relevant for me at the moment).
I also like the new design shown above.

Is there a way to control the cold weather settings from the app? I live in a very cold and snowy climate and it would be nice to have the front and rear windshields, and also wiper heaters activated while preheating the car.

That would be helpful. The car using the outside temperature and rain sensor to decide to trigger it automatically when preheating would be even better.

Both are beyond the scope of the current Tesla App and if Tesla doesn't give API commands for it, Allen can't use them in his App, either.

There's no indication in the screenshots that Tesla has added anything like this, but there could still be some surprises when they actually release the update. Surely they didn't make a big fuss about this update just to improve the graphics...

That would be helpful. The car using the outside temperature and rain sensor to decide to trigger it automatically when preheating would be even better.

Both are beyond the scope of the current Tesla App and if Tesla doesn't give API commands for it, Allen can't use them in his App, either.

There's no indication in the screenshots that Tesla has added anything like this, but there could still be some surprises when they actually release the update. Surely they didn't make a big fuss about this update just to improve the graphics...
It seems like they did. Actually, I think they even removed the roof controls, because I don't see it in the screenshots.

Visually, I think it looks great. I am conflicted in that I would also like the option to see as much of the information on one screen as possible (much like now).
Yes :). The reason I bought Remote S is that it shows more info that the Tesla OEM app does, and everything is available on one screen (I dont own an Apple Watch so that feature is not relevant for me at the moment).
I also like the new design shown above.
I'm not getting rid of the all-in-one interface. I know many people who like it. A simplified UI will be a separate option, because some users want a less cluttered interface (seems to be the only complaint I get in the reviews nowadays). Only way to satisfy everyone is to have two separate UIs.

Any chance you could add the ability to remotely change the Profiles?. Half the time after my wife drives the car, it doesn't change profiles as I approach and then I'm doing the yoga move to reach the button. Would love to pre condition, change it to my profile and turn on my seat heater all from my watch.
Is there a way to control the cold weather settings from the app? I live in a very cold and snowy climate and it would be nice to have the front and rear windshields, and also wiper heaters activated while preheating the car.
I wish I could, but unless Tesla enables these functions through their API, it's not possible.

What do you guys think of the Tesla's new app UI?
Clean look but too many pages. Why a pair of keys icon? Redundancy.
I would rather have all tools on one page, with details and preferences shown only as needed; turning climate on and off should be bundled with the tool showing the status and the temp and only show a thermostat if I ask it to (with a swipe instead of a press, for example). Show everything and minimize touching. So far, your app leads.

Any chance you could add the ability to remotely change the Profiles?. Half the time after my wife drives the car, it doesn't change profiles as I approach and then I'm doing the yoga move to reach the button. Would love to pre condition, change it to my profile and turn on my seat heater all from my watch.

You should be able to associate specific key fobs with a profile now (was added fairly recently). It works pretty well except when your wife has her key in her purse and you open her door to let her in first and the profile switches because her key was closest to the car.

You should be able to associate specific key fobs with a profile now (was added fairly recently). It works pretty well except when your wife has her key in her purse and you open her door to let her in first and the profile switches because her key was closest to the car.
Yup, we did the fob 1 and fob 2 thing. The issue is when I approach, the car unlocks and all based on my fob but it only "recognizes" me 2/3 times. The other 1/3 of the time means the seat and the wheel are painfully close together for me to squeeze in and change it to my profile manually.

Yup, we did the fob 1 and fob 2 thing. The issue is when I approach, the car unlocks and all based on my fob but it only "recognizes" me 2/3 times. The other 1/3 of the time means the seat and the wheel are painfully close together for me to squeeze in and change it to my profile manually.
Report the bug to Tesla? Could be something wrong with your keyfob like low battery. I know the service center does tests on keyfobs when they aren't working well. I know because when I first got my Tesla, my keyfob drained my battery really quickly for some reason and they replaced it.

@AllenWong - there are two new features; TouchID and widgets (although we don't know what the function of the widgets are). Are those features you are able to include in Remote S?
TouchID for keyless driving has been in Remote S since 2015. It's one of those things that just made sense to have. Today widgets is on my Todo list as part of a bigger update I have planned for this app.

Is there a way to display name of the car all the time? we have two cars and it hard to see which one is current, you would need to wait until firmware version gets changed to a name of the car.
There isn't a way yet. There are three things you can do. You can update the refresh time to something shorter so that you don't have to wait the full 10 seconds for the name of the car to change. Something like 3-5 seconds is acceptable by Teslas servers as far as I can tell.

Another thing you can do is to just figure out which car it is by the odometer, if your odometers are different.

Other thing to do is to just switch the car to the one you want to view. It doesn't matter if you switch to the same car you are already viewing.

@AllenWong - there are two new features; TouchID and widgets (although we don't know what the function of the widgets are). Are those features you are able to include in Remote S?

Here's the Widget on iOS:

IMG_0317.PNG

• Helpful
Reactions: SMAlset and BertL
Allen, I think you know I'm a big supporter of Remote S, however my use-case is that of an x-geeky kinda guy that still loves his tech, but is a more casual user of both the Tesla App and Remote S. Unlike others, I have no need to open windows, change climate settings, etc very often living here in more temperate SoCal, and I'm beyond the constant tinkering mode with my MS that some others seem to still enjoy. I received the new Tesla App V3 overnight, so have had a brief chance to look it over. Given that:
  • I have to still keep the Tesla App running all the time in the background on my iPhone to receive Tesla notifications, calendar syncing, etc so it will continue to always be around. (BTW, my first impression with the V3 app is it's a redesign for redesign-sake, an offers just minimal new or better access than the previous version did. Perhaps 8.1 will open-up new capabilities one day.)
  • I absolutely LOVE being able to get to basic info on my Apple Watch. It's probably the #1 feature I use the most with Remote S.
  • I also appreciate how Remote S works well with my iPhone AND iPad as it's orientation changes. I use it on all 3 of my Apple devices.
  • Remote S provides access to information that the Tesla App does not, and I want to access upon occassion. Remote S saves me from trodding out to my garage. E.g. current mileage, firmware level, more detailed charging info.
  • I suspect power-users love Remote S's present jam-packed interface. For me as a more casual user, even having read this thread from it's beginning and keeping up with every new post, I don't remember where the more subtle easter egg functions and indicators are in Remote S, and therefore don't make use of Remote S capabilities as much as I likely could. It's too tough to find what the meanings are without tracking down this thread and the help provided in some of the key posts. I use a few basic things and upon occasion start using something else when I see mention of it here.
So, my suggestions:
  • Don't recreate the Tesla Wheel now that we have an impression of what V3 is. Really think-through the basic info provided on the first screen presented so it has what most owners (not just more vocal enthusiasts like most of us) want to see at a glance. Minimize the skeumorphic interface to where it makes the most usability sense, not just because it looks pretty -- as well, Xxxxx sometimes seems to do in more recent times. Good use of real estate counts as you know all-too-well with your terrific Apple Watch interface design.
  • Target your intended customers. Personally, if I were you, I'd prioritize the power-user first with a 2nd-generation jam-packed but usable interface similar to today, but would then secondarily target all owners -- myself included ;) If there were a world with your having unlimited time/resources, I'd suggest an easier-to-use default interface that is more like what Tesla provides but is able to access most Remote S functionality, with the ability to unlock a power-user mode through a setting that changes the interface into something more like we have today that is jam-packed and allows you to get to 100% of what Tesla's API provides.
  • Given how feature-rich Remote S is, especially if you want to start-with or have only a single power-user interface, please build into the app a help mode that steps the user through many of the most useful functions with an overlay like some apps do with a handwritten font and arrows describing key functionality. Providing in-app help and orientation to basic functionality is a #1 to get to the next set of users beyond the geekie ones, tinkerers, and power-users.

Thanks as always for your ear and continued support. As I've said many times, I know of no other application where the developer is as engaged and responsive as you are. IOW, you're pretty dang awesome!

Last edited:
Allen, I think you know I'm a big supporter of Remote S, however my use-case is that of an x-geeky kinda guy that still loves his tech, but is a more casual user of both the Tesla App and Remote S. Unlike others, I have no need to open windows, change climate settings, etc very often living here in more temperate SoCal, and I'm beyond the constant tinkering mode with my MS that some others seem to still enjoy. I received the new Tesla App V3 overnight, so have had a brief chance to look it over. Given that:
  • I have to still keep the Tesla App running all the time in the background on my iPhone to receive Tesla notifications, calendar syncing, etc so it will continue to always be around. (BTW, my first impression with the V3 app is it's a redesign for redesign-sake, an offers just minimal new or better access than the previous version did. Perhaps 8.1 will open-up new capabilities one day.)
  • I absolutely LOVE being able to get to basic info on my Apple Watch. It's probably the #1 feature I use the most with Remote S.
  • I also appreciate how Remote S works well with my iPhone AND iPad as it's orientation changes. I use it on all 3 of my Apple devices.
  • Remote S provides access to information that the Tesla App does not, and I want to access upon occassion. Remote S saves me from trodding out to my garage. E.g. current mileage, firmware level, more detailed charging info.
  • I suspect power-users love Remote S's present jam-packed interface. For me as a more casual user, even having read this thread from it's beginning and keeping up with every new post, I don't remember where the more subtle easter egg functions and indicators are in Remote S, and therefore don't make use of Remote S capabilities as much as I likely could. It's too tough to find what the meanings are without tracking down this thread and the help provided in some of the key posts. I use a few basic things and upon occasion start using something else when I see mention of it here.
So, my suggestions:
  • Don't recreate the Tesla Wheel now that we have an impression of what V3 is. Really think-through the basic info provided on the first screen presented so it has what most owners (not just more vocal enthusiasts like most of us) want to see at a glance. Minimize the skeumorphic interface to where it makes the most usability sense, not just because it looks pretty -- as well, Xxxxx sometimes seems to do in more recent times. Good use of real estate counts as you know all-too-well with your terrific Apple Watch interface design.
  • Target your intended customers. Personally, if I were you, I'd prioritize the power-user first with a 2nd-generation jam-packed but usable interface similar to today, but would then secondarily target all owners -- myself included ;) If there were a world with your having unlimited time/resources, I'd suggest an easier-to-use default interface that is more like what Tesla provides but is able to access most Remote S functionality, with the ability to unlock a power-user mode through a setting that changes the interface into something more like we have today that is jam-packed and allows you to get to 100% of what Tesla's API provides.
  • Given how feature-rich Remote S is, especially if you want to start-with or have only a single power-user interface, please build into the app a help mode that steps the user through many of the most useful functions with an overlay like some apps do with a handwritten font and arrows describing key functionality. Providing in-app help and orientation to basic functionality is a #1 to get to the next set of users beyond the geekie ones, tinkerers, and power-users.

Thanks as always for your ear and continued support. As I've said many times, I know of no other application where the developer is as engaged and responsive as you are. IOW, you're pretty dang awesome!
I have the same idea of where I'm moving forward with this project. I'm glad that you appreciate the support for orientation changes. Most people don't realize that Remote S is actually a Landscape app where the controls are at your thumbs and all the panels don't overlap. On the iPhone 4S, all the panels actually connect together in Landscape mode.

As for the overlay suggestion, it's sort of already there if you press the Remote S logo and scroll down. In the next interface update, I want to streamline the functions so well that you wouldn't need instructions to use.

Thanks for your support! It's great to hear feedback and fun to churn out people's suggestions. Feels more like this is a community project with feedback from hundreds (thousands?) of people. I read every single feedback I get to make sure that the app is constantly improving (yes even the App Store reviews, thanks for those btw).

Reactions: BertL
I have the same idea of where I'm moving forward with this project. I'm glad that you appreciate the support for orientation changes. Most people don't realize that Remote S is actually a Landscape app where the controls are at your thumbs and all the panels don't overlap. On the iPhone 4S, all the panels actually connect together in Landscape mode./QUOTE]

I was personally very impressed the first time I ran your app on an iPad and it actually made good use of the larger screen space, not just scaling up like the Tesla app did (does?).

Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.