Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big big ups to Allen on such an awesome app! I bought it as soon as I drove my Tesla home to try it out. Love all the detailed info and how geeky it gets, and I like the breadcrumb feature (not that other people often drive my car, but it's a bit of peace of mind when I drop it off for cleaning/detailing).

One comment that I have though is that when compared to Tesla's app, Remote S has a steeper of a learning curve. It wasn't very obvious what each of the buttons did. A bit too cluttered maybe? Also - and this may be a personal thing, but I find Tesla's app to be "prettier" - big colorful graphics showing my car and the battery/charge state. I think maybe because Tesla's app split the information into five or six "screens", they could afford to do it? The perfect combination for me would be the pretty Tesla graphics and icons, combined with all the geeky info of Allen's app.

Oh - and your watch app is awesome. Can't wait to see what you do with Watch OS 2! Best of luck in your recovery!

Big big ups to Allen on such an awesome app! I bought it as soon as I drove my Tesla home to try it out. Love all the detailed info and how geeky it gets, and I like the breadcrumb feature (not that other people often drive my car, but it's a bit of peace of mind when I drop it off for cleaning/detailing).

One comment that I have though is that when compared to Tesla's app, Remote S has a steeper of a learning curve. It wasn't very obvious what each of the buttons did. A bit too cluttered maybe? Also - and this may be a personal thing, but I find Tesla's app to be "prettier" - big colorful graphics showing my car and the battery/charge state. I think maybe because Tesla's app split the information into five or six "screens", they could afford to do it? The perfect combination for me would be the pretty Tesla graphics and icons, combined with all the geeky info of Allen's app.

Oh - and your watch app is awesome. Can't wait to see what you do with Watch OS 2! Best of luck in your recovery!

Copyright laws prevent me from using car art from the Tesla app. But what you said is a suggestion echoed a few times in the past. Users seem split on whether they like the geeky, small font, clutter or prefer less clutter with bigger fonts and empty spaces. The idea I had with Remote S was that it would be more like a TV remote with all the info you need in one screen. Once you learn to use it, it makes it a faster app to use, since everything you need is all accessible right off the bat without having to scroll through different screens.

However, that doesn't mean that I will ignore the users who prefer the other method. The only problem is that I can't do both at the same time in one app without a lot of user confusion. So my thought going forward is to make a separate app for those who want the bigger font, more user-friendly, and less clutter. And then keep Remote S the way it is now.

We know Remote S can bypass the scheduled charging.

The question is whether or not the Tesla app for iPhone can or not. If it can, then we just need to remove that one feature from the list of features that are unique to Remote S, since it obviously would not be unique to Remote S.

The Tesla App on the I phone has a button to Charge Now and can bypass the scheduled charging.

The Tesla App on the I phone has a button to Charge Now and can bypass the scheduled charging.

Thanks.

I had confirmed this myself later that day, when my wife came home, posted that (see upthread, and below), and edited the Wiki accordingly.

I just confirmed that the Tesla iPhone app is also able to bypass a scheduled charge, and get the car to start charging immediately. I have removed that one item from the Wiki manual.

Any idea why the amp are being reported diff in remote S vs tesla app?
1810138f0462e1c503cc56a664d4deb2.jpg
d93f7f9cf08bf96703cfe286a297223f.jpg

Any idea why the amp are being reported diff in remote S vs tesla app?
Remote S, Version 2.0 User Guide (Draft) - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

This is addressed in the "known issues" section. Basically, the grey number is the same number as the white number in the tesla app. And the white number is your current battery current, which has about 400 V, so it's a lower current, but is still around the same power. When not charging, you can keep the battery current constantly displayed to see your vampire drain. This is done by going to the app settings and turning on "always show battery current".

However, that doesn't mean that I will ignore the users who prefer the other method. The only problem is that I can't do both at the same time in one app without a lot of user confusion. So my thought going forward is to make a separate app for those who want the bigger font, more user-friendly, and less clutter. And then keep Remote S the way it is now.

Maybe create a Basic and an Advanced option? Basic is more space and bigger fonts, and Advanced is the way it is now. Then you don't have to create two seperated apps.

Copyright laws prevent me from using car art from the Tesla app. But what you said is a suggestion echoed a few times in the past. Users seem split on whether they like the geeky, small font, clutter or prefer less clutter with bigger fonts and empty spaces. The idea I had with Remote S was that it would be more like a TV remote with all the info you need in one screen. Once you learn to use it, it makes it a faster app to use, since everything you need is all accessible right off the bat without having to scroll through different screens.

I would be supportive of this. I prefer the app as it is, but I believe my wife would prefer something that is more user-friendly. Also on the plus side, it would give you some additional income as well with a new app! Thanks for all the great work you are doing Allen!

Hi Allen,
When Watch OS 2 comes along, will your app be able to add the charging status ( or i suppose any other relevant info an owner cares about) to the complications in the watch face?
Thanks,
Jeff

Reading the notes on adding complications to the watch, it looks like a possibility, but it might not be up-to-date. The Watch OS caches the data to save batteries, so it only refreshes the data every once in a while (Apple recommends developers to only refresh once per hour). They haven't said what the refresh rate limit is yet, but they block updates for the day if you refresh too often. Thus, my hands are tied here, and I can't get you up to minute updates on charging status on the complication. I would suggest continuing to use the Glance for that.

What's cool about the complication is that you can do something called time travel. You can see what your past charge/odometer/range/etc. was by using your digital crown on the watch face and travel back in time.

That's interesting. Did you notice that in the os2 demo they actually use the vw egolf app as a complication for charging status. I wonder... Is it because vw updates the status more often than the tesla servers allow?

Probably cause it looks good.

In OS1 I noticed that if you put a stock ticker on the watch face screen it kind of updates a bit haphazardly. Looks good but if you want to make sure you have a current quote you've got to check your phone or click the ticker on the watch.

I'd like to know, as a user, info the info presented is current/updated or not.

Anybody else want to control active air suspension from the app? I assume Tesla doesn't allow it right now. Anyone trying to petition for it?

Aside: Is there any a way to auto-lower the car every time it's parked?

You are correct that the Tesla API does not allow for control of the air suspension.

As for lowering the car every time you park, I think the best you could do is set the car to lower at your regular parking locations via GPS, but that's not what you're looking for, and would probably cause more problems than it solves.

That's interesting. Did you notice that in the os2 demo they actually use the vw egolf app as a complication for charging status. I wonder... Is it because vw updates the status more often than the tesla servers allow?

It's not Tesla's server limitation. It's Apple Watch's OS limitation on the number of refreshes I'm allowed to make per day. A workaround would be to refresh more often when charging. But I'm not 100% sure yet what the rate limitation will be when the actual Watch OS 2 comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.