Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rego, do you beliew there might be a chance that in the future Apple may let up a bit when it comes to Siri functionality? I find myself using Siri a lot more with the watch. "Hey Siri, unlock my Tesla", or "Hey Siri, stop charging my Tesla, unlock my Tesla and vent the roof on my Tesla" would be really cool, methinks.

Rego, do you beliew there might be a chance that in the future Apple may let up a bit when it comes to Siri functionality? I find myself using Siri a lot more with the watch. "Hey Siri, unlock my Tesla", or "Hey Siri, stop charging my Tesla, unlock my Tesla and vent the roof on my Tesla" would be really cool, methinks.

That might be what it takes to make my eventually buy the Apple watch.

Or when they offer a 24-hour analog dial like this one (although I prefer 24 at the top):

24 hour wristwatch.jpg

Until then, I'll stick to my old, solar powered Casio that I had for 10 years, without ever changing the battery :)

Speaking of voice control - I never use it at all, as there is too much music, and too many contacts, to make it worth while. I am looking forward to voice commands that control the car, though. "Set speed 60", "open pano roof", "honk at that moron" etc.

Last edited:
A light bulb just shined above my head. I think I figured out a way to voice command your Tesla with the Apple Watch. I'm going to work on it now. Stay tuned...

I successfully controlled my Tesla with Siri on my Apple Watch. Video of it will be uploaded later. Have to film at night because the Watch is hard to videotape in broad daylight. Doesn't require jailbreak or an external server.

Excited here! Happy if I help plant a seed in your (bright) programmer's head.

I successfully controlled my Tesla with Siri on my Apple Watch. Video of it will be uploaded later. Have to film at night because the Watch is hard to videotape in broad daylight. Doesn't require jailbreak or an external server.

Awesome. Strong work as always. Hope Tesla is lucky enough to have you working on their app officially at some point.

Awesome. Strong work as always. Hope Tesla is lucky enough to have you working on their app officially at some point.

I certainly agree with this statement, but only if Tesla somehow agreed to still allow regoapps to participate in these forums. (I don't believe in general Tesla employees are allowed to participate, which is why we don't see any of them posting here.) I say that because I think one of regoapps' greatest strengths has been his willingness to take and implement feedback from the members of this forum. It's one of the reasons his app got to be as good as it is as fast as it did, and why Version 2.0 is going to be that much better, that much faster. regoapps has listened and actively participated here, and everyone and his app is better for it.

Tesla could learn from this.

But if a condition of regoapps working for Tesla was that he stop participating here, I think he'd be giving up one of his greatest assets, because he does such an excellent job of incorporating the feedback that he gets.

I certainly agree with this statement, but only if Tesla somehow agreed to still allow regoapps to participate in these forums. (I don't believe in general Tesla employees are allowed to participate, which is why we don't see any of them posting here.) I say that because I think one of regoapps' greatest strengths has been his willingness to take and implement feedback from the members of this forum. It's one of the reasons his app got to be as good as it is as fast as it did, and why Version 2.0 is going to be that much better, that much faster. regoapps has listened and actively participated here, and everyone and his app is better for it.

Tesla could learn from this.

But if a condition of regoapps working for Tesla was that he stop participating here, I think he'd be giving up one of his greatest assets, because he does such an excellent job of incorporating the feedback that he gets.

+1

"Would those that say it cannot be done please get out of the way of those who say it can be done?"

I did make the request to let me continue participating in the forums, but I doubt that a big corp will let me. Usually they train people to speak with the public if it's on behalf of the company and then there are NDAs and what not.

What phrase do you guys want to do the commands?

"unlock car"
"KITT, unlock car"
"unlock Tesla"
etc.

any other suggestions?

I did make the request to let me continue participating in the forums, but I doubt that a big corp will let me. Usually they train people to speak with the public if it's on behalf of the company and then there are NDAs and what not.

I didn't realize you were in negotiations with Tesla. (I'm not sure you ever posted anything beyond the fact that they made an inquiry.) That's great!

It would be a shame if Tesla prevents you from doing what you do. I'm sure you'd do extraordinarily well anyway, but that's not the point.

Presumably you got Tesla's attention because of your app. They were impressed by what you did, and how well and fast you did it. And while I don't mean to take anything away from you and your programming and development skills, and while I also don't want to build the benefit of this forum's input up beyond what it is, the bottom line is that the app would not be what it is if you had written it in a vacuum.

It takes some serious communication skills to be able to deal with a group like this one, and to take dozens of ideas being thrown at you and actually do something useful with them. Most people would not be able to do that. But you have demonstrated, with flying colors that you can. You did!

Tesla would be making a big mistake to inhibit your abilities by not allowing you to participate in the forums. I really hope they are smart enough not to do that.

What phrase do you guys want to do the commands?

"unlock car"
"KITT, unlock car"
"unlock Tesla"
etc.

any other suggestions?

If I may make a recommendation, check out wit.ai. It will handle the hard part of turning a phrase into a machine-readable command. You train it by examples, so you'd give it a bunch of example phrases like "unlock the car" and "open the car" and tell it what it means, and then it will magically turn anything similar into the same command. It's fantastically easy to use and works extremely well in my limited testing.

May I ask what sort of technique you're using to get voice commands for your app in this way? I'm sometimes an iOS developer and I'm interested in how you're doing it.

Thanks for a great app.

What kind of commands would you guys actually use with Siri?

I know R2B would like a "Cool my Tesla" command to turn the HVAC on, vent the roof, and set the temperature the lowest. I can see this as being useful.

I guess "Ping My Tesla" would be useful for finding your car.

What about like a "Access my Tesla" command that unlocks the doors and starts the keyless driving?

What commands/combination of commands will you guys actually be using regularly? And what phrases would you like to use for it?

What about HVAC on and off? Are you guys okay with saying "HVAC On" to turn it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.