Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to throw out there my support for the app! It's amazing how much better this app is than the official Tesla app (and my review of the official Tesla app says as much). I was hesitant initially to pay the $10, but it's now completely replaced my use of Tesla's app. Can't wait for the next version and hopefully the ability to schedule the climate control to come on at a specified time.

The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to get the app to display the screen at the end of a drive that shows the total trip info, money saved, etc? Is that an upcoming feature or something I just haven't figured out?

Also, any particular reason this thread isn't a sticky?

tap the top right button to display the full map, then tap the white circle that appears in the middle left of the screen, then tap the top (red) bar of the three bars that appear in the bottom. You probably want to reset your trip prior to starting each trip. To do so, press that red trash can icon.

- - - Updated - - -

While in "Valet" is it possible to setup alert the car was moved from a parked location greater than 5 minutes?

Might be useful but that might also drain battery huh.

When I finish coding the background scheduler, it can check every 15 minutes if certain conditions have happened and you can create your own custom rules.

After 2000 miles driving, yea I think if the remote s can do what evtrip planner would be the sweetest ideal.

I find myself when going places, after parking the car and inside a person house or restaurant or somewhre I can't use the car navigation to calculate range consumption. It would be awesome I can whip out the app, it see where I am now in my electrical range, calculate navigate route, and let me know if i need super charge or what battery % I will be when I get there.

Basically what the car navigation would do, but I don't have to be inside the car to find that out

Yup, can confirm that my Remote S didn't work all day today (beginning at 7am). I tried about 6 different times. Each time, the standard Tesla app worked fine. Using "Sign Out" via Remote S and then logging back in to my Tesla account fixed the issue.

(To sign out in Remote S, hit the icon of the "car with two curved arrows" in the top right.)

Yup, can confirm that my Remote S didn't work all day today (beginning at 7am). I tried about 6 different times. Each time, the standard Tesla app worked fine. Using "Sign Out" via Remote S and then logging back in to my Tesla account fixed the issue.

(To sign out in Remote S, hit the icon of the "car with two curved arrows" in the top right.)

The access token expires every 90 days. My app came out in May. So I have a feeling that a lot of users are going to start seeing these messages if they never refreshed their access token before. Basically signing out and signing back in will refresh the access token for another 90 days. In the future, I'll have a better system for when this happens (automatic access token renewal).

The access token expires every 90 days. My app came out in May. So I have a feeling that a lot of users are going to start seeing these messages if they never refreshed their access token before. Basically signing out and signing back in will refresh the access token for another 90 days. In the future, I'll have a better system for when this happens (automatic access token renewal).

I just posted this in the discussion section of the Wiki.

I just posted this in the discussion section of the Wiki.

And as a result, I just updated the Wiki FAQ:

Q: I'm having trouble logging in. What could the problem be?
A: There are several reasons you may not be able to log in. For example, the Tesla servers could be temporarily down. Another common reason you may not be able to log in is that the "token" Remote S uses to allow you to access your Model S expires every ninety days, and your token may be expired. If so, simply signing out and back in will refresh the access token for another ninety days, allowing access. A future version will include automatic token renewal.

And as a result, I just updated the Wiki FAQ:

Q: I'm having trouble logging in. What could the problem be?
A: There are several reasons you may not be able to log in. For example, the Tesla servers could be temporarily down. Another common reason you may not be able to log in is that the "token" Remote S uses to allow you to access your Model S expires every ninety days, and your token may be expired. If so, simply signing out and back in will refresh the access token for another ninety days, allowing access. A future version will include automatic token renewal.

An expired access token doesn't prevent you from logging in. It prevents you from issuing commands and getting car stats. And when that happens, the app thinks that the servers are overloaded and not responding, when it is actually just not accepting that expired access token.

An expired access token doesn't prevent you from logging in. It prevents you from issuing commands and getting car stats. And when that happens, the app thinks that the servers are overloaded and not responding, when it is actually just not accepting that expired access token.

OK, I changed it to the following. Does this work?

--
Q: I'm having trouble logging in and/or issuing commands. What could the problem be?
A: There are several reasons you may not be able to log in or issue commands. For example, the Tesla servers could be temporarily down. Another common reason you may not be able to issue commands is that the "token" Remote S uses to allow you to issue commands to your Model S expires every ninety days, and your token may be expired. If so, simply signing out and back in will refresh the access token for another ninety days, allowing normal use. A future version will include automatic token renewal.

OK, I changed it to the following. Does this work?

--
Q: I'm having trouble logging in and/or issuing commands. What could the problem be?
A: There are several reasons you may not be able to log in or issue commands. For example, the Tesla servers could be temporarily down. Another common reason you may not be able to issue commands is that the "token" Remote S uses to allow you to issue commands to your Model S expires every ninety days, and your token may be expired. If so, simply signing out and back in will refresh the access token for another ninety days, allowing normal use. A future version will include automatic token renewal.

Yup. Thanks.

Hi guys, I'm dropping by to give you updates on what's been going on:

It's been almost 2 months since my surgery and I still have a little over a month more of pain, pain meds and staying near the hospital, followed by another 3 months more before I can walk again. They're weaning me off the pain meds, so I am in more pain than normal. Hopefully I can resume work on this app in less than a month. Thanks for being patient with me and not rushing me to finish version 3.0. I've been taking notes on what to change and what to add for version 3.0, so please don't hesitate to tell me what you wish to change or add to the app.

Thanks for all the care packages that you guys have sent to me while I am in recovery. It means a lot to me, and has kept my morale high even though I'm going through the worst painful experience of my life.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that a patent troll was trying to get Remote S removed from the app store or force me to pay a licensing fee. He wants $2 million upfront and $1 million annually, which is ridiculous, because Remote S makes no where near that much money. He claims that he owns the patent for controlling a car via a watch, but my app is not even close to his patent. I could just remove the Remote S app from the app store to make him go away, but instead I hired a lawyer to help fight the patent troll. The lawyer fees will probably wipe out the revenue that Remote S has accumulated, and it seems like the patent troll knows this and is trying to pressure me into pay the licensing fees. But I love this app too much and you guys love this app enough for me to not want to kill the project. So I'll keep fighting this patent troll, even if it means that I start losing money for keeping this app alive. The good news is that Apple has not removed the app from the App Store even after the patent troll requested that my app be removed from the app store. What's annoying is that he's doing this to me while I'm in the middle of recovery of surgery and is causing me a lot of stress.

On another side note, thanks for all those who donated to my "tip jar", which is a charity that I set up for my former neighbor's daughter's college fund. I want to share the great news that a few days ago, she took the certification exam for being a vet tech and has passed with flying colors. She will be taking a job as a vet tech over the summer to prep her for vet school in 2 years. She just started school again, and she's well on her way to becoming a great veterinarian. This was something that she wouldn't have afforded to do without our help, and it was a great feeling to pay for her textbooks, travel expenses, tuition, and laptop. She keeps refusing to take money from my own pocket, but thanks to the overwhelming amount of donations from you guys, I managed to sneak a few thousands of dollars into the donation as well out of my own pocket. Together, we added over $10,000 to her college fund.

How does one log out of the app?

I've been getting a lot of emails from users asking me this same question, so I'm just going to post the answer here again (since it was buried a few pages back). If you are experiencing persistent issues with sending commands to the Tesla server and have used the app for over 3 months, your access token is probably expired. To get a new one, simply sign off and in the app again. To do so, press the top-left command menu button to bring up the commands. Then press the top-right button that looks like a car with circular arrows around it. Then press "Sign Out". In the next version of the app, I will automatically refresh the access token to prevent this from happening again.

Status
Not open for further replies.