Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Named Defendants: "General Motors, OnStar, Audi, Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, DEI Holdings, Samsung Electronics, LG Corporation, Sony Corporation, Lenovo, Motorola Mobility, Apple, Inc, Station Digital Media, and Rego Apps."

Well, you're in good company. Have you reached out to any of the other defendants?

Named Defendants: "General Motors, OnStar, Audi, Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, DEI Holdings, Samsung Electronics, LG Corporation, Sony Corporation, Lenovo, Motorola Mobility, Apple, Inc, Station Digital Media, and Rego Apps."

Well, you're in good company. Have you reached out to any of the other defendants?
The law firm I hired is going to handle speaking with the other defendants. My law firm apparently has worked with Apple's lawyers before, so they have a direct connection to their lawyers.

I am sorry to hear of these kind of problems Allen. Hope that all will end good and that you will be up and running again shortly. I find it disappointing that the law is not used to protect genuine / true ownership, but appears to prevent entrepreneurs from making important steps forward. Keep up the good work.

I'd happily donate something towards the patent troll battle fund, if need be. Just let me know. I can't PM here for the moment, but just shoot me an email to my username at skie.net if you desire and end up with a spot for donations.

I'm not an Apple user (still holding out for the Android version :biggrin: ), but patent trolls really annoy me. A company I worked with on a project recently won a battle against a patent troll who basically had no money to even pay for my side's legal fees when they lost. It's pretty sad.

If the patent troll didn't have money to pay for the legal fees when the lawsuit failed, they should have turned over their only item of value, their patents, which would have shut the jerks down from future lawsuits.

Of course, all they actually need to do is find an attorney willing to work on contingency, and I'm sure there would be no shortage of warm bodies looking for an easy buck.

Hi All, Hi Allen,

I hope your recovery is going in the right direction albeit slowly. And see that you seem to be in good company with the litigation so hopefully that will work out as well.

Maybe some one can help me on this issue:
I noticed that even if the APP on the iPhone says it has updated i cannot get the update to the apple watch APPlette and if I try to engage the TESLA APP I get no update either...... This has now been the case since last Friday. I have done your prescribed signing in and out process to get a new lease with the server but to no avail........ The APPs seems to log on to the TESLA servers correctly but then get stuck.....?! On the TESLA APP it says it is trying to wake the car up... I know there is no difference to either the positioning or the battery state of the car since last Friday. Could it be a REMOTE S problem or have I been "locked out" of my car and in that case what is there to do?

thanks for any help and best of recovery and good luck

felix b.

Has the topic of royalty payments come up? As a smaller developer, you should be able to reason with the other party that your sales are X and that you would pay a certain % of sales. I would think that % would be much lower than legal fees to fight the lawsuit.

The patent troll wants $2 million upfront and $1 million annually to use his patent. There's no way my app could make that much money even if I sold the app to every Tesla customer. I'd have to sell to every Tesla/iOS user and raise the price of the app to $100 to be able to make a profit. Anyway, my lawyer already tried to point out to Apple and to the patent troll that his patent doesn't apply to my app when he tried to get Apple to remove my app from the App Store. My lawyer said that this case wouldn't hold up in court. I'm not so worried about winning the case. I'm more worried about this case wasting my time and money because of the court case/legal fees.

I'd happily donate something towards the patent troll battle fund, if need be. Just let me know. I can't PM here for the moment, but just shoot me an email to my username at skie.net if you desire and end up with a spot for donations.

I'm not an Apple user (still holding out for the Android version :biggrin: ), but patent trolls really annoy me. A company I worked with on a project recently won a battle against a patent troll who basically had no money to even pay for my side's legal fees when they lost. It's pretty sad.

Thanks, wk057. That's very generous of you. If you want to donate to the patent troll battle fund and have Paypal, send the money as a gift to regoapps at gmail.com. If you don't have paypal, then use the Donate button at the bottom of this page and leave a note that says that it's for the patent troll battle fund.

Hi All, Hi Allen,

I hope your recovery is going in the right direction albeit slowly. And see that you seem to be in good company with the litigation so hopefully that will work out as well.

Maybe some one can help me on this issue:
I noticed that even if the APP on the iPhone says it has updated i cannot get the update to the apple watch APPlette and if I try to engage the TESLA APP I get no update either...... This has now been the case since last Friday. I have done your prescribed signing in and out process to get a new lease with the server but to no avail........ The APPs seems to log on to the TESLA servers correctly but then get stuck.....?! On the TESLA APP it says it is trying to wake the car up... I know there is no difference to either the positioning or the battery state of the car since last Friday. Could it be a REMOTE S problem or have I been "locked out" of my car and in that case what is there to do?

thanks for any help and best of recovery and good luck

felix b.

Ah, the issue sounds like the car is asleep. When the car is asleep, you can't get any updated stats on the car. There are two ways to get the car updating again. That's to get the Tesla app to finish waking up the car first. The other way is to find and press the "Wake Car" button on the Apple Watch. Waking up the car takes a very long time, because it relies on the car to briefly connect to the internet every 15 minutes or so and ask if it needs to be woken up. This is why in the energy savings setting in the car, I set the Energy Savings mode to on, but set the "Always connected" to on as well.

If you're locked out of the car, it's probably because you disable Remote Access from inside the car's settings. If that's not the case, then you might want to try to reboot the car's OS by press and holding down the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 30 seconds.

Ah, the issue sounds like the car is asleep. When the car is asleep, you can't get any updated stats on the car. There are two ways to get the car updating again. That's to get the Tesla app to finish waking up the car first. The other way is to find and press the "Wake Car" button on the Apple Watch. Waking up the car takes a very long time, because it relies on the car to briefly connect to the internet every 15 minutes or so and ask if it needs to be woken up. This is why in the energy savings setting in the car, I set the Energy Savings mode to on, but set the "Always connected" to on as well.

If you're locked out of the car, it's probably because you disable Remote Access from inside the car's settings. If that's not the case, then you might want to try to reboot the car's OS by press and holding down the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 30 seconds.

Hmmmmmmm maybe asleep but I do have the always connected on and the car is plugged in............ so maybe it is a reboot thing.... Can't do that until tomorrow or a few days at the earliest.......I'll try and see......THANKS!

/fb

I want to get back on updating the app, but I don't want the Patent Troll to get any revenue for improvements I make to the iPhone/iPad app. Since the Patent infringement case only applies to the Apple Watch portion of the app, I am thinking about maybe splitting the app into two projects. One will be just for the Apple Watch, and one for the iPhone app. This way, even if the patent troll wins, I can minimize the amount of money he can win. Are you guys okay with that?

And thanks to the several people who donated to the Patent Troll Battle Fund. As you may or may not know, a Texan lawyer who specializes in patent law costs me $400 per hour. Just sending a detailed letter to the judge to try to get the case dismissed might cost upwards of $15,000-$20,000. So the revenue on Remote S will probably be wiped out by the end of this, and I most likely will go in the negative for having created this app.

Hmmmmmmm maybe asleep but I do have the always connected on and the car is plugged in............ so maybe it is a reboot thing.... Can't do that until tomorrow or a few days at the earliest.......I'll try and see......THANKS!

/fb

I hope you got things fixed.

I want to get back on updating the app, but I don't want the Patent Troll to get any revenue for improvements I make to the iPhone/iPad app. Since the Patent infringement case only applies to the Apple Watch portion of the app, I am thinking about maybe splitting the app into two projects. One will be just for the Apple Watch, and one for the iPhone app. This way, even if the patent troll wins, I can minimize the amount of money he can win. Are you guys okay with that?

And thanks to the several people who donated to the Patent Troll Battle Fund. As you may or may not know, a Texan lawyer who specializes in patent law costs me $400 per hour. Just sending a detailed letter to the judge to try to get the case dismissed might cost upwards of $15,000-$20,000. So the revenue on Remote S will probably be wiped out by the end of this, and I most likely will go in the negative for having created this app.

[snip.]

Of course if I've anything to say of it; IMO do what you must. Your plan sounds perfectly reasonable.

Been using your good app since the beginning and it will help me quite a bit for NE winter battery love and learning. Grateful. For me, this is the Year of the Data Point. Fits right in to my Master Plan.

It's totally unacceptable to me that you should lose money on this. Quite wonderful for a feedback loop of data points and control. It will only get better assuming you have the time/inclination/incentive. Screw that guy.

You're welcome. Wish I could afford more.

Was pleased that you took your girl pal for a joy ride. I took a friend out today for a highway and urban gorilla roads with lunch in between. Felt like I could maneuver well and safely between the occasional speed pop and deceleration-on-accelerator-lift standardly stiff. Will study your data points later.

Thanks again for your app.

Personally, I think your strategy is a good one focusing on the iPhone app while you fight the battle... It allows you to continue your research and expand capabilities, while creating future Watch ideas in your head, then perhaps one day to move some of what you've placed on the iPhone back to the Watch -- likely in a more expedient manner.

I must say though, I give you all sort of kudos. Being an x-programmer myself from many years ago, and generally a very persevering sort of guy myself, I'm not sure I have what you are already demonstrating -- to first fight the battle, but then considering and asking your community how to keep moving the ball forward at the same time. Remote S is definitely a passion you have, and we love what you have produced for us. Thanks again, and we're all keeping good thoughts FOR YOUR SUCCESSFUL WIN AGAINST THE TROLL (and yes, I'm shouting!)

Status
Not open for further replies.