Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick answer, I have chosen typical in the car, but the watch shows estimated (big enough to read) and very small the typical. I´d like to swap these to.
View attachment 202185
I think I set it to be the opposite of what you chose in the car, so that you can have the watch show you the other range while you're driving. It should be big on the second screen though.

I noticed on the feature list on page 1 that "scheduling "is noted. Once in the app, it's not clear to me how I would do any sort of scheduling (when to charge, when to preheat, etc. ) in the app. Please advise. Thanks for your help.
Scheduling is sort of a headache in that the app can't run in the background due to Apple restrictions. And because the app only communicates with Tesla servers and I never get any of anyone's credentials, I can't issue the commands for you.

The app is capable of scheduling, though. You just have to leave the app open, and also create a simple webpage that does the scheduling. To access it, press the Remote S logo on top. A help page was written explaining how the webpage can be created: Tesla Model S: Remote S app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPod, and iPad There's an example of scheduling already implemented when you press the Remote S logo called Camp Mode. Camp Mode is a scheduler that starts up your HVAC every 30 minutes using a countdown timer written in Javascript. This allows you to leave the HVAC on indefinitely. So with a very simple javascript code, you can create a scheduler for any of your needs.

Obviously, leaving the app open all the time is not very practical (unless you have a spare iPhone/iPad that you don't mind using to dedicate to your Tesla). I've been trying to figure out a solution for this situation with many different methods as I've documented in this thread.

I've seen some posts where folk say that they got caught out by charging rate being less than normal. Would it be helpful if APP could show, say, "Poor", "OK", "Good" of Supercharging rate compared to max possible? Clearly some factors in play here - Pairing and Superchargers which are running at reduced power because of e.g. hot weather - but an Alert when a charger is not working properly would be helpful, if nothing else it would save me having to do the %-charged & kW calc in my head! let alone drivers who are not aware of the potential issues perhaps?

When I first had the car, and after half a dozen or so Supercharges, full of confidence!, I hooked up to a duff charger stall at 2AM, went off for a coffee and came back to only a modest increase in SoC :( I didn't have the knowledge to just move to another stall ...

I've seen some posts where folk say that they got caught out by charging rate being less than normal. Would it be helpful if APP could show, say, "Poor", "OK", "Good" of Supercharging rate compared to max possible? Clearly some factors in play here - Pairing and Superchargers which are running at reduced power because of e.g. hot weather - but an Alert when a charger is not working properly would be helpful, if nothing else it would save me having to do the %-charged & kW calc in my head! let alone drivers who are not aware of the potential issues perhaps?

When I first had the car, and after half a dozen or so Supercharges, full of confidence!, I hooked up to a duff charger stall at 2AM, went off for a coffee and came back to only a modest increase in SoC :( I didn't have the knowledge to just move to another stall ...

It's not a bad idea. I'm concerned that it might cause folks some concern when at a perfectly good charger, especially if they arrived with a cold battery - which will result in low charging rates even though you aren't sharing a charger.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Yup, lots of variables. I suppose it would come down to how many of them the APP can allow for. Currently no means of detecting paired-charging AFAIK, but temperature of battery & inside/outside the car I think are available through the API.

Inside and outside are certainly available - I hadn't heard of battery temperature outside of TM Spy type endeavours.

You could set an outside threshold and not send a notification if it is cold enough, but I think most Supercharging on cold days happens with warm batteries.

I don't know how quickly the battery warms, but I think it is a lot slower than the cabin, so I'm not sure the differential between the two is an adequate test.

You could probably do something with time history, but then you'd have to be recording state from the time the car is turned on, which is a whole lot of data that would have to sit on a server somewhere, something this app hasn't done so far and a source of ongoing cost and security risks.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Hey, great app!
Been using it since day 1 of owning my Tesla.
Over the weekend I decided to try the complication on my Apple watch, it didnt work and then I saw in this thread that it wont be ready until v3.4.
As a feature request, seeing typical or projected battery level (vs percentage/rated) in a small complication would be great!
Best of luck with development and thanks for the app so far!

PS-for anyone looking for an app that displays battery info for your apple watch complication today, before 3.4 comes out, you can use the free version of Keymote, only problem is that it only displays battery percentage. Which can be a bit tricky to gauge at times. (My personal preference is typical range).

Thanks!

I've seen some posts where folk say that they got caught out by charging rate being less than normal. Would it be helpful if APP could show, say, "Poor", "OK", "Good" of Supercharging rate compared to max possible?
Interesting feature request. I could see this being useful. I'm going to need a few data points from anyone who is supercharging for me to implement this. Now that I display the instantaneous kW/charge rate, I'm going to need the following 7 points of info: What's the % charge, the battery capacity of the car, what cars are in the supercharger stall currently (including yours and label them by the labels on the chargers - 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.), inside and outside temperature, instantaneous kW, and instantaneous charge rate. The latter two numbers are shown on the top where the "Heading" and "Speed" are located at. Once I have enough data points, I can then figure out a formula to determine if a supercharger is charging at optimal capacity or not. And then put that in the app. Or if someone already has a formula for me to use, let me know.

Or if someone already has a formula for me to use, let me know

I have a thought, rather than a formula.

I think it will be hard to have "paired charge" detection, per se. If I am paired the other car might be at 10% SoC ... a long way from tapering ... or at 90% SoC in which case I may be getting as much as possible, or something very close to it. So don't bother to attempt to detect that.

I think my wife's expectation would be a good target to aim for!: Plug in, walk away, come back after 10 ... 30 minutes, be surprised/angry if the car is not charged as expected!

How about compare current charging rate to "best ever" (i.e. for this car). Over time the "Best ever" might change - especially for a new car. Record / Remember the best ever charging rate from 10% to 20% SoC, 20% to 30% SoC and so on.

In case helpful for me (S90D) it is approximately this:

0% - 10% 5m - 282 mph
10% - 20% 5m - 282 mph
20% - 30% 5m - 282 mph
30% - 40% 5m - 282 mph
40% - 50% 5m - 282 mph
50% - 60% 5m - 282 mph
60% - 70% 7m - 198 mph
70% - 80% 9m - 156 mph
80% - 85% 6m - 120 mph
85% - 90% 7m - 102 mph
90% - 95% 12m - 60 mph
95% - 100% 28m - 24 mph
100% - 100% 24m additional time to Balance cells (this is probably very variable)

Then display the variation between current charging session and the Best-Ever. A bit like getting "5 bars" on a mobile phone when the signal strength is good.

I'm not very good at Visuals, so don't have a suggestion for one, but I would like to have a display indicator that would indicate that:

a) charging rate is poor - this would show as charging rate being, say, only 30% of normal. (Not sure how easy it would be to differentiate "paring" from "Stall not working properly". My thought it that Pairing will improve over time, whereas a stall that is only delivering 30% of maximum won't improve AND might taper less). This would indicate that it might be worth moving to a different stall, and is the main thing I would like an alert for.

b) I was Paired at the start, and that has finished - i.e. charging started at, say, 49% of "best-ever" whilst SoC went from 10% to 30%, then after that charging has been consistent at 99% (compared to best-ever).

c) Charging started off fine, but has tapered off far more than normal. This would be "something abnormal" (I have read threads where people are suggesting that some Superchargers in SoCal are throttling back). That would be useful to get an alert for - I might delay finishing my meal :)

Perhaps the baseline for "ideal charging rates" could in some way "guess" if the charger was a Supercharger, L2 or something else? Does Volts or somesuch give a clue? I think the API has a Supercharger attribute, I've never charged on L2 but maybe that has a different attribute value?

Lastly, not sure if "Expected Charge Complete Time" is available via the API? If so then, additional to whether the current charge rate is normal for SoC perhaps also "alert" if that time changes - that might detect the SoCal scenario where charging throttles back much more than normal. Perhaps it would also indicate when Pairing had finished - a sudden drop in "Expected Charge Complete Time"

I'd be very happy to send you all my Supercharger logs (recorded using TeslaFi, which I could export to XLS or similar). I don't think I've ever been paired ... but I have charged at a stall that was not working properly, not sure if I using TeslaFi back then.

I am new to the Remote S app but have been enjoying it very much. One thing I am not able to do is fully control the sunroof using the app on my iPhone or Apple watch. My car will respond to Remote S for the Vent position, or the Closed position. But if I use the slider on the phone to try to open the sunroof to a specific percentage, or press the buttons on the Apple Watch or IOS app to open to a preset position, I get an error message stating "No Connection". I don't understand why this error message only pops up for sunroof positions other than fully closed or vent position. I can use my watch and phone to control HVAC, lights, horn, etc. without any problems.

• Disagree
Reactions: mda and SG57
It appears that Tesla disabled the API command that allows you to open the roof more than just vent and close. If I figure out a workaround, I'll fix it. But for now, it appears that this was disabled because the official Tesla app never supported opening the roof more than just the vent position.

It appears that Tesla disabled the API command that allows you to open the roof more than just vent and close. If I figure out a workaround, I'll fix it. But for now, it appears that this was disabled because the official Tesla app never supported opening the roof more than just the vent position.

Thanks for the information. Being a new app user, I was expecting the solution would be to change a setting in the app to make it work. I didn't expect that I would be the first user to report a function that really doesn't work. I do understand why the sunroof funtions no longer work as you have explained it.

Elon indicated a significant rework of the official Tesla App will arrive with the release of 8.1. I wonder if they are "revamping" the API to allow for additional control? (Or less?)

Elon indicated a significant rework of the official Tesla App will arrive with the release of 8.1. I wonder if they are "revamping" the API to allow for additional control? (Or less?)
They've been incrementally adding new controls to the API every once in a while, so I would not be surprised if a new command appeared. It's been a while since we had a new command (summon/homelink came out over a year ago). Nothing new came out since. It's long overdue for some new features. I've been seeing little changes in the API, so I can tell that they're prepping some new command/feature.

Allen - the garage door opening/closing is not working again. No error messages also, just that it doesn't seem to activate the garage, and the app also does not popup a , "Home like activated' message. Other functions seem to work. The home link button works fine from within the car's console, but not from the app.

Allen - the garage door opening/closing is not working again. No error messages also, just that it doesn't seem to activate the garage, and the app also does not popup a , "Home like activated' message. Other functions seem to work. The home link button works fine from within the car's console, but not from the app.
I don't have my Tesla with me to test this function out right now (I will in 10 days, though). For now, maybe someone else can verify whether the functionality is broken or not.

If it's only broken for you then here's what might be the problem: When you try it, is the car icon next to the Remote S logo a solid white color or an outline of a car? If it's an outline, try logging out and back in again. HomeLink doesn't work unless it successfully connects to the HomeLink/Summon server, which is separate from the other commands. When it's a solid white car icon, that means that it successfully connected to that server. The connection to the server can get finicky when you're near a spotty internet connection (i.e. wifi signal is weak, etc.).

@AllenWong
Mine works (opens/closes/notifications) most of the time. Sometimes it opens but won't close. My workaround is to close then reopen the app but it's not 100% consistent.

@AllenWong
Mine works (opens/closes/notifications) most of the time. Sometimes it opens but won't close. My workaround is to close then reopen the app but it's not 100% consistent.
Do you wait until the car icon is a solid white before you press the HomeLink button? What conditions changed when you try to close the garage instead of opening it? Are you further from the WiFi connection when this happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.