Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Official Tesla App has a home link button? I am not seeing it.

I tried both from Wifi and with LTE on my App.

I don't think the connection is an issue as I can do all the other functions with ease
Yes, press "Summon" which brings up the Summon screen. On the upper right you will see the Homelink icon like below.
IMG_1744.PNG

Official Tesla App has a home link button? I am not seeing it.

I tried both from Wifi and with LTE on my App.

I don't think the connection is an issue as I can do all the other functions with ease
The HomeLink/Summon commands are on a separate Tesla server than the other commands. So being able to issue commands doesn't necessarily mean that you have a solid connection to Tesla's HomeLink/Summon commands. If you let me know if the HomeLink button works in the official app, it will help narrow down the possible reasons for it to not work on Remote S.

Thank you Allen and msnow. I have seen that screen over a hundred times, but never noticed the "Home" icon :)

In any case it is not working from the official app too. When i click on it, it just "spins' and nothing happens.

Maybe I should check with Tesla?
Yes. This sound like an issue with your car and Tesla. Nothing I can really do on my end if even the official app can't do the HomeLink. In the AutoPark settings of your car, try turning on the auto-HomeLink feature and see if a Summon would automatically open/close your HomeLink when you summon the car into or out of your garage. If it can't, then there's something wrong with the car. If it can, then something is wrong with the app.

Before when I would initiate a summon i could close my app. Now if I close my app, the car stops and says summon aborted. Is this normal?
Did you turn on the "Continuous Press" setting in your Autopark settings? If so, that would be the reason why it stops when you close the app. That is by design, because I added the same safety feature of stopping the Summon if your phone dies or you need to take or phone call or something. I just don't require you to continuously press the button. If you die or have a heart attack in the middle of a summon (Tesla literally calls the feature the "dead man switch" in the API), then you have bigger concerns than your car.

Continuos press is off. If I do it from my remote I just press it once and it summons fine without me holding it. Do i need to change something in the app also?
My suggestion is to try calling 7x24 Tesla Tech Support (877) 798-3752 -- Opt 2 IIRC and report the problem from a Tesla-only perspective. They may be able to help you over the phone trouble shoot the Tesla App and setting in your MS. Once that gets working, then work on Remote S.

• Helpful
Reactions: msnow
Continuos press is off. If I do it from my remote I just press it once and it summons fine without me holding it. Do i need to change something in the app also?
How long ago were you able to summon with the app closed? If it was prior to July 2016, then the reason it doesn't work anymore is because Tesla changed their API so that the app must keep an active connection to their summon/homelink servers in order for the summon/homelink to work. If you're talking about more recently, then it might be because the Apple Watch kept the app alive for a bit. The Apple Watch version of Remote S tries to grab updated information from the iPhone while trying to contact Tesla's servers so that it gets updated information faster and then replaces it Tesla's server data as soon as it gets it. Algorithms like this is why Remote S works so fast. In doing so, it wakes up the Remote S iPhone version for a short while in the background to see if any information needs to be updated on the Apple Watch version. By waking the app up (or keeping it awake in your case), you're keeping it awake long enough for the Summon to finish in the background. That might be why it worked in the background.

Reactions: 1 person
How long ago were you able to summon with the app closed? If it was prior to July 2016, then the reason it doesn't work anymore is because Tesla changed their API so that the app must keep an active connection to their summon/homelink servers in order for the summon/homelink to work. If you're talking about more recently, then it might be because the Apple Watch kept the app alive for a bit. The Apple Watch version of Remote S tries to grab updated information from the iPhone while trying to contact Tesla's servers so that it gets updated information faster and then replaces it Tesla's server data as soon as it gets it. Algorithms like this is why Remote S works so fast. In doing so, it wakes up the Remote S iPhone version for a short while in the background to see if any information needs to be updated on the Apple Watch version. By waking the app up (or keeping it awake in your case), you're keeping it awake long enough for the Summon to finish in the background. That might be why it worked in the background.
I think this is it. I used to have an apple watch and it was probably before July 16. Oh well. Still love the app. Wish there was a way around it though as I love summoning from the app and then just putting the phone away.

I've seen some posts where folk say that they got caught out by charging rate being less than normal. Would it be helpful if APP could show, say, "Poor", "OK", "Good" of Supercharging rate compared to max possible?
Interesting feature request. I could see this being useful. I'm going to need a few data points from anyone who is supercharging for me to implement this. Now that I display the instantaneous kW/charge rate, I'm going to need the following 7 points of info: What's the % charge, the battery capacity of the car, what cars are in the supercharger stall currently (including yours and label them by the labels on the chargers - 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.), inside and outside temperature, instantaneous kW, and instantaneous charge rate. The latter two numbers are shown on the top where the "Heading" and "Speed" are located at. Once I have enough data points, I can then figure out a formula to determine if a supercharger is charging at optimal capacity or not. And then put that in the app. Or if someone already has a formula for me to use, let me know.

In a similar vein to this previous discussion:

I had a situation last night where my home charger charged at 50% of normal (3.8kW instead of 7.5kW). No idea why, yet, but an alert that this was happening / had happened would be very helpful (if it manages to charge fully overnight, at a slower rate, I would not realise ... until the day when I needed a bigger charge and then I'd be hosed :( ).

Is there any disadvantage to setting the minimum time between stat refreshes lower than the default of 9 seconds? I'm thinking 5 seconds.
There is a limit to how many times you can ask the Tesla servers for information. That limit is unknown, but it has been demonstrated before that too many stat refreshes in a short period of time would cause their servers to start ignoring your requests for a while before letting you refresh again. 5 seconds is fine from my experience. 5 second was the original refresh time of Remote S and is what I use personally. I later changed it to 9 seconds to help Tesla out and reduce the server bandwidth load to them by a half.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
There is a limit to how many times you can ask the Tesla servers for information. That limit is unknown, but it has been demonstrated before that too many stat refreshes in a short period of time would cause their servers to start ignoring your requests for a while before letting you refresh again. 5 seconds is fine from my experience. 5 second was the original refresh time of Remote S and is what I use personally. I later changed it to 9 seconds to help Tesla out and reduce the server bandwidth load to them by a half.
Thanks for the quick response and info as usual!

Finally, Tesla is charging for idle time (link and discussion). Unfortunately, they only give us a scant 5 minutes to get to the unplug.

I would like a notification on the phone in ample time to wrap up what I'm doing and walk to my car and unplug it. I'll try to see if Remote S app has this feature, and if TeslaFi could implement it: that way, I can wrap up what I'm doing and get there quickly. I'd like the computer app to know how far I am from my car (GPS) and how long it would take to walk there, and add a variable amount of settable time, which I would have at 5 minutes for restaurant and 10 minutes for Home Depot or Wells Fargo, probably 15 minutes for Safeway or Target and 20 minutes for Chase Bank. 5-10 minutes is usually enough to wrap up anything I'm doing and get to walking. Add the wrap-up time, walking time, and unplug time, then the notification should go out before it has completed by that amount of time. Remote S? TeslaFi? Any takers? A new app? This is a real money maker, since you'll be saving $X every time. The first time someone is hit with a $5 SuperCharger idle wait time fee (or for sure for a $10 or $25 idle charge), they'll buy the app. Hand over fist money ( @AllenWong ??). Hmm, if I had the skills to do it within a week (I probably could do it in 3, actually, since I'd have to learn Apple app programming and Google walk map API) and didn't have a day job (I unfortunately do), I'd do it now.

Background (already posted at Update to the Supercharger network policies):

For the time that the notification gets sent to my computing systems, to the time I open it up to see what alert it is, to the time it takes for me to put down what I'm holding without spilling or dropping it, to the time it takes to reposition the seat to have enough room to squeeze into a jacket or coat, to the time it takes to get out of the car (reaching over to the various handles without impaling myself or the car), and then orient myself toward where the charger connector is, go over to it, press the button, wait for the light, and pull it out, I think this could very very often be over one minute. That has already ate about 1.5 minutes into the "5 minute waive" budget.

Let's say all of that happened plus something like asking for a check for a meal or paying for the current cart full worth of goods: while this would minimize your wait time to around 10 minutes, then you get hit with a $4 charge, all while dropping everything to go see a car that was probably rate-limited to some speed in the current setups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.