Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

Should the 'dislike' button on forum posts be removed?

• The 'dislike' button should be removed

Votes: 79 39.7%
  • The 'dislike button should be retained

Votes: 120 60.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to get along with the Dislike button, even used it a few times myself when I thought someone was being very rude or combative, but not so much so they deserved being reported. I started paying attention to posts that get them, and I have to say, it seems to be useless without further context.

I see correct, factual posts marked with Dislike. Did someone dislike that fact? The wording of the post? The user?
I see opinions marked with Dislike. Why? Was there something wrong with it? Maybe the poster didn't have all the facts? Who knows.
I see threads where someone Disliked almost every post. Why would you do something like that instead of posting for yourself?

So then you get a dislike and wonder "What was wrong with this? Seems reasonable/factual/etc." Maybe it's the ambiguity that bugs me. Or maybe that's it's lazy and discourages discussion. If you like a post, then there's probably not much more to say. If you dislike it, then that seems to me like something that would be nice to discuss. If you just click dislike, then no one else gets to understand your thought process. Maybe the way you look at the issue is better, but we'll never know because you clicked Dislike instead of having a discussion on a discussion forum.

I don't feel real strongly about it, but I do think it generally hurts the discussion quality.

Reactions: Jeff N and GoTslaGo
So then you get a dislike and wonder "What was wrong with this? Seems reasonable/factual/etc." Maybe it's the ambiguity that bugs me. Or maybe that's it's lazy and discourages discussion. If you like a post, then there's probably not much more to say. If you dislike it, then that seems to me like something that would be nice to discuss. If you just click dislike, then no one else gets to understand your thought process. Maybe the way you look at the issue is better, but we'll never know because you clicked Dislike instead of having a discussion on a discussion forum.

Hi Gizmotoy, I'll take a different position......what happened to your curiosity and why wouldn't you wonder the same with LIKES? "what was really LIKED about my position", "did they LIKE what I had to say or are they looking for LIKES back", "was it just a trendy pile-on of LIKES" or "is the poster a popular person with some connection and therefore always LIKEABLE" etc.

I agree with your position on ambiguity, but not its biased filter. Other than succumbing to the flattery of a favorable reaction, without context ALL ambiguity is senseless......including LIKES, LOVES, FUNNY etc. The beauty of any icon, is it promotes reflexive reaction where there might otherwise be none. If the responder is so inclined, they engage in dialogue. Otherwise its their prerogative to click LIKE-DISLIKE-LOVE or whatever, and move along. If we feel wronged by that freedom, then we should remove all ambiguous icons.

Hi Gizmotoy, I'll take a different position......what happened to your curiosity and why wouldn't you wonder the same with LIKES? "what was really LIKED about my position", "did they LIKE what I had to say or are they looking for LIKES back", "was it just a trendy pile-on of LIKES" or "is the poster a popular person with some connection and therefore always LIKEABLE" etc.

I agree with your position on ambiguity, but not its biased filter. Other than succumbing to the flattery of a favorable reaction, without context ALL ambiguity is senseless......including LIKES, LOVES, FUNNY etc. The beauty of any icon, is it promotes reflexive reaction where there might otherwise be none. If the responder is so inclined, they engage in dialogue. Otherwise its their prerogative to click LIKE-DISLIKE-LOVE or whatever, and move along. If we feel wronged by that freedom, then we should remove all ambiguous icons.

Likes serve a purpose. They essentially act like "+1"s, but without cluttering the thread. If someone just wants to express agreement, they might not have anything else to say. "I agree with you, and I don't have anything to add." But dislikes really need an explanation. We shouldn't be encouraging people to drop into threads just to say "I disagree." What we should encourage is constructive disagreement: "I disagree, and here's why." Or if someone else already expressed disagreement with an explanation, it would be perfectly fine to like that post.

Reactions: Gizmotoy and ohmman
Likes serve a purpose. They essentially act like "+1"s, but without cluttering the thread. If someone just wants to express agreement, they might not have anything else to say. "I agree with you, and I don't have anything to add." But dislikes really need an explanation. We shouldn't be encouraging people to drop into threads just to say "I disagree." What we should encourage is constructive disagreement: "I disagree, and here's why." Or if someone else already expressed disagreement with an explanation, it would be perfectly fine to like that post.

So, you are essentially seeking a rule that says, 'since we are are unable to deal with ambiguity, only LIKES allowed on the TMC forum'?

Reactions: Eclectic
+1

:D

But seriously, this is a fine example. He said exactly what I would have liked to say in response to your post. Is it necessary for me to specifically chime in and say "what he said"? If I like the post, will markb1 wonder what I liked about it? No, he'll probably just think it saved a "+1" in the thread.

There's little ambiguity in agreement. Disagreement leaves a lot of shades of grey.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
I tried to get along with the Dislike button, even used it a few times myself when I thought someone was being very rude or combative, but not so much so they deserved being reported. I started paying attention to posts that get them, and I have to say, it seems to be useless without further context.

I see correct, factual posts marked with Dislike. Did someone dislike that fact? The wording of the post? The user?
I see opinions marked with Dislike. Why? Was there something wrong with it? Maybe the poster didn't have all the facts? Who knows.
I see threads where someone Disliked almost every post. Why would you do something like that instead of posting for yourself?

I don't feel real strongly about it, but I do think it generally hurts the discussion quality.

I try to use the "dislike" button only when it's obvious that someone is being a complete !&#$. The last time I think I used it was when someone bashed pickup truck drivers for no good reason other than to make a petty stereotype about the politics of such drivers. "Dislike" is a good way to give people the finger without wasting time with pointless further engagement.

Hi. I don't mind the dislike button but I think there should be a rule against mass dislikes after a disagreement.

Recently somebody was arguing that Tesla didn't discount brand new cars during the recent firesale. I disliked those messages because they were wrong and then this person went through my profile, picked some random messages in unrelated topics and gave me 27 dislikes. Previously I had 2.

On Reddit, they have a rule against this. It would be good to have the same rule here.

Screenshot source: www.reddit.com/wiki/reddiquette
pPFLKuW.gif

Last edited:
Hi. I don't mind the dislike button but I think there should be a rule against mass dislikes after a disagreement.

Recently somebody was arguing that Tesla didn't discount brand new cars during the recent firesale. I disliked those messages because they were wrong and then this person went through my profile, picked some random messages in unrelated topics and gave me 27 dislikes. Previously I had 2.

On Reddit, they have a rule against this. It would be good to have the same rule here.

Screenshot source: www.reddit.com/wiki/reddiquette
pPFLKuW.gif
While I definitely agree that this is considered "trolling" behavior, I think it becomes hard to manage. It might be worth making a rule like this, but I think that removing the "dislike" count from the profile summary might be the easier solution to this problem.

While I definitely agree that this is considered "trolling" behavior, I think it becomes hard to manage. It might be worth making a rule like this, but I think that removing the "dislike" count from the profile summary might be the easier solution to this problem.
Or maybe just removing the dislike button entirely as on various other automotive and other forums that don't have a dislike button. Facebook doesn't have one either.

I agree. This would solve 90% of the problem. I would be happy with this solution. The solution I had in mind was to cancel existing dislikes and disallow further dislikes from ignored members but this might require custom programming. Your solution is probably much easier to implement.

• Disagree
Reactions: coconutboy84
Please remove the Dislike button. I'm currently being attacked by trolls and long time lurkers. This needs to stop.
Who is this person and why is this person popping up all of a sudden to harass me?

Please ban @AmishEV

If you go to a user's profile page, there's a link to report the user. It should be immediately obvious to any mod whether someone is abusing the "dislike" button by disliking a person's posts across the entire forum simply to harass that person.

If you go to a user's profile page, there's a link to report the user. It should be immediately obvious to any mod whether someone is abusing the "dislike" button by disliking a person's posts across the entire forum simply to harass that person.
Yes, for instance if a user has given more dislikes than likes, they may be using the system strangely. @drinkerofkoolaid, would you agree?

Please remove the Dislike button. I'm currently being attacked by trolls and long time lurkers. This needs to stop.
Who is this person and why is this person popping up all of a sudden to harass me?

Please ban @AmishEV

DrinkerOfKoolAid, it's so interesting that you participate in this thread now that the shoe is on the other foot. For those following this thread, the user who Troy graciously opted not to name in his above post (#68) about someone blanketing him with dislikes was Drinker himself.

So what do you think Drinker should you be banned along with me? Or is etiquette something that only applies when it serves your own personal wants?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Last edited:
Reactions: M0DEL³
DrinkerOfKoolAid, it's so interesting that you participate in this thread now that the shoe is on the other foot. For those following this thread, the user who Troy graciously opted not to name in his above post (#68) about someone blanketing him with dislikes was Drinker himself.

So what do you think Drinker should you be banned along with me? Or is etiquette something that only applies when it serves your own personal wants?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
I found it ironic also. When @Troy mentioned it, I immediately looked into his posts to see who was doing it. Looks like someone decided to partake in their own vigilante justice.

Reactions: M0DEL³