Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing FSD before taking delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hear me out... I'm not one of the idiots trying to game the system. I genuinely can't afford to pay the extra $10,000 (locked in this price in January) for FSD and need to remove it before finalizing my delivery, but given the recent price increases, I don't want to risk doing it and having the base price increase by $4k on me. Or by having my delivery date pushed forward.

Any idea if FSD can still be removed without changing the delivery date or price?

Hear me out... I'm not one of the idiots trying to game the system. I genuinely can't afford to pay the extra $10,000 (locked in this price in January) for FSD and need to remove it before finalizing my delivery, but given the recent price increases, I don't want to risk doing it and having the base price increase by $4k on me. Or by having my delivery date pushed forward.

Any idea if FSD can still be removed without changing the delivery date or price?
I would not make any change, otherwise you will get the new price for sure, and the risk to be put at the end of the list like if it was a new order.

We removed FSD from our blue MYLR after a price jump, and it stayed the same amount as when we ordered. I’m sure it could change any time, but at the moment I think you get one addition/deletion while maintaining your locked-in price.

Reactions: M0SA
Here's what I got when I asked them that same question
Screenshot_20220318-005253~2.png

Price no but delivery timing will definitely be affected. Tesla knows that some folks may try to game the system using FSD so you likely will get bumped all the way to the end of the queue if you remove FSD. My guess is, Tesla will allow you to remove it up until your assigned a VIN. You may not see a change in EDD right away as I think it takes their system a couple days to catch up.

With that said my wife and I decided to add FSD mainly because we feel that later this year Elon will raise the price of FSD again. With the increased prices (it increased by $4,000 since we placed our order on 3/2) and with the likely increase and additional functionality coming we feel it’s not a bad investment to add the FSD.

With that said my wife and I decided to add FSD mainly because we feel that later this year Elon will raise the price of FSD again. With the increased prices (it increased by $4,000 since we placed our order on 3/2) and with the likely increase and additional functionality coming we feel it’s not a bad investment to add the FSD.
I see you got sucked in to Elon’s FOMO plan to get people to pay $12k upfront for something that doesn’t exist yet.
If people stopped paying $10k, now $12k for something that might never occur, the price would go down. I paid $5K 3 years ago for it on my S and I still think it’s overpriced at $5K.
Basic autopilot gives you what you’ll use 99% of the time. For the other 1% buy the subscription for the month.

I see you got sucked in to Elon’s FOMO plan to get people to pay $12k upfront for something that doesn’t exist yet.
If people stopped paying $10k, now $12k for something that might never occur, the price would go down. I paid $5K 3 years ago for it on my S and I still think it’s overpriced at $5K.
Basic autopilot gives you what you’ll use 99% of the time. For the other 1% buy the subscription for the month.
I don’t disagree with you. We didn’t plan to go for FSD. I don’t have FSD on my existing MYLR but I have been watching the development and I believe it will be a product/feature set that will improve with time and those improvements will make it more valuable. I typically like being on the “bleeding edge “ of new tech.

I love Tesla overall as a company. I do very much dislike the policies of their finance especially with regard to leasing but otherwise I have had a very good experience. Yes, I know Elon has been promising FSD for the last five years or so but I ultimately think in the next three years they will improve significantly the FSD capabilities and it will be a more valuable feature. I am NOT saying they will have level 5 in that time I am simply saying I feel this me FSD capability will be significantly more valuable. That along with the navigate on AP and auto lane change make me feel like it’s not a bad investment.

I could always be wrong of course but we are excited.

I originally had FSD on my early MYLR November order for $10k. I was able to remove it at the end of December with no change to the price of the vehicle. I decided to remove it for a bunch of reasons;

1 FSD doesn't raise trade in value
2 Tesla can resell the feature to new owners
3 Phantom breaking issues
4 Lack of radar hardware in current Tesla cars
5 Other manufacturers have the similar or arguably superior driver aids such as Cadillac
6 True "FSD" is still very far away, likely beyond our ownership of this car
7 I am strongly turned off by Tesla selling a feature called "FSD" when it currently is not; that is misleading or fraudulent
8 I can test the feature on a subscription

I originally had FSD on my early MYLR November order for $10k. I was able to remove it at the end of December with no change to the price of the vehicle. I decided to remove it for a bunch of reasons;

1 FSD doesn't raise trade in value
2 Tesla can resell the feature to new owners
3 Phantom breaking issues
4 Lack of radar hardware in current Tesla cars
5 Other manufacturers have the similar or arguably superior driver aids such as Cadillac
6 True "FSD" is still very far away, likely beyond our ownership of this car
7 I am strongly turned off by Tesla selling a feature called "FSD" when it currently is not; that is misleading or fraudulent
8 I can test the feature on a subscription
I totally understand your position on this. You raise some very valid points of course. We aren’t concerned about trade-in value as we always do private sale. FSD transfers with private sale and so we are able to get the value back out of the vehicle when we choose to move on. In fact for that very reason I think we would get more value out of the vehicle with FSD.

Phantom braking will improve as it did with the radar cars over the last year so we aren’t overly concerned about that. We don’t plan to use FSD so much on two lane roads with oncoming traffic which seems to be where PB is most problematic.

Other systems are behind in my opinion. I will agree that the other system are designed to work well on certain roads and highways. Haven’t tried them just going off research.

I have to agree the marketing of it as FSD is probably not the best choice. Purchasing FSD is not right for everyone of course but I like the idea of having it for the reasons I stated earlier. I am not saying your reasons are invalid though either.

I think everyone has to make their own choice if they want to go for FSD or not.

Reactions: UW_MYLR
I am in a somewhat similar boat. I ordered MYLR with white interior on 3/5 without FSD. Then a week later my friend talked me into getting FSD, so I added it. Then from all the stuff I've been reading on the forums about FSD I don't think I want it anymore. I'm a little bit hesitate to hit the remove button. I'm wondering if I wait until I get a VIN and then remove it if that will help my case. My EDD did happen to move up from September to May when I added FSD. (I'm also only getting a vague EDD like "May." I'm not getting specific dates. I wonder why?)

I am in a somewhat similar boat. I ordered MYLR with white interior on 3/5 without FSD. Then a week later my friend talked me into getting FSD, so I added it. Then from all the stuff I've been reading on the forums about FSD I don't think I want it anymore. I'm a little bit hesitate to hit the remove button. I'm wondering if I wait until I get a VIN and then remove it if that will help my case. My EDD did happen to move up from September to May when I added FSD. (I'm also only getting a vague EDD like "May." I'm not getting specific dates. I wonder why?)
I can’t say for sure, but heard you can’t remove it after VIN, VIN get unassigned. Heard from 1 source so can’t say for sure it will happen every time