Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Middle Seat from 7-seat Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model X 5-seat, second row, double seat removed. Not sure what to do when update time comes. Replacing the seat then removing it after the update would be a hassle. Photos of the seat-mounted control module, harness with 10 plugs, and underside of the removed seat-
View attachment 292226 View attachment 292224
View attachment 292225
Good work UncaNed,
Congrats.
A few questions
1. do all wires lead to the underseat module?
2. Any error messages after removal?
3. Can you send any long shots of the car w/o the seat?
Ole'

Good work UncaNed,
Congrats.
Ole'
1. The wire harness coming from the floor branches off into 10 separate plugs that each plug into a different place on the seat. One of those plugs attaches to the shiny black control module.
2. No error messages after removal so far
3. Photo below not the best, but here's where the seat was in this February, 2018 5-seat Tesla X. This leaves odd little gaps and open slots in the carpet.

I suspect some of the elaborate stuff in the seat might be for an air bag, I'd like to know for sure where the air bags are. The removed seat is VERY heavy. There are several custom Styrofoam blocks painted black under the floor mats and floor boards, be sure to note exactly how each fits before you mess with them (like to search for dropped nuts and bolts). Also, cats like to claw unattended Tesla seats. Keep them covered.
Seat gone out of 5 seat Tesla.jpg

1. The wire harness coming from the floor branches off into 10 separate plugs that each plug into a different place on the seat. One of those plugs attaches to the shiny black control module.
2. No error messages after removal so far
3. Photo below not the best, but here's where the seat was in this February, 2018 5-seat Tesla X. This leaves odd little gaps and open slots in the carpet.

I suspect some of the elaborate stuff in the seat might be for an air bag, I'd like to know for sure where the air bags are. The removed seat is VERY heavy. There are several custom Styrofoam blocks painted black under the floor mats and floor boards, be sure to note exactly how each fits before you mess with them (like to search for dropped nuts and bolts). Also, cats like to claw unattended Tesla seats. Keep them covered.
View attachment 293428

Very cool.
Thanks for the update.
Ultimately, I want to replace my 2nd row with fold flat seats.

MDR

I'm thinking of removing my 2nd row seats (6-seater configuration) too for a camping trip but what hesitates me is putting them back in. In the manual there's that mentioning that you need to go into "Seat Install Mode" with the Tesla Toolbox software. @UncaNed have you ever re-mounted the seats? Did you need the Toolbox software for that or even visit a SC?

[QUOTE = "Rockwell, post: 4168934, membre: 63034"] Enfin, je l'ai fait. Je n'ai eu aucune erreur en retirant également le siège central central. [/ QUOTE]
Hello, thanks a lot for this thread, i have remove center seat, and it’s great. For install new software i can re install seat today ? Or do you have « rallonge » ?

So what is the deal with removing the middle seat in the 7 seater? I can't tell from all these posts. Is it just some screws? I know there was some talk of error messages but that seems like if you remove all the seats... just want to remove the middle seat.

Thanks!
Jim

So what is the deal with removing the middle seat in the 7 seater? I can't tell from all these posts. Is it just some screws? I know there was some talk of error messages but that seems like if you remove all the seats... just want to remove the middle seat.

Thanks!
Jim
It's on the first page of this thread. Post number 18..
Removing Middle Seat from 7-seat Configuration

Just some screws to undo. Yes, there is a chance that software updates will fail if it doesn't detect the seat, so, if you can get the seat module connected back and then hide it, you are good to go.

Whoaaaa this is awesome!!! I just realized I can move all the middle row seats forward and overcame all my objections which were really prolly just cold feet!

This car is amazing!

Even a spot that perfectly fits my Naglene!!!

Michael