Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renew your EV Road Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The key bit is my opening remark that Expensive Vehicle Supplementary Tax Exemption ending 1st April 2025. EVs were only exempt from paying that between April 2020 and April 2025. So a new EV registered on or after 1st April 2021 would begin its 5th tax year this April and so would still be eligible to pay if original list price was £40k+. However, we’ll see for certain next April. It’s a while off and a likely new government away.

The key bit is my opening remark that Expensive Vehicle Supplementary Tax Exemption ending 1st April 2025. EVs were only exempt from paying that between April 2020 and April 2025. So a new EV registered on or after 1st April 2021 would begin its 5th tax year this April and so would still be eligible to pay if original list price was £40k+. However, we’ll see for certain next April. It’s a while off and a likely new government away.
The EVS will apply ONLY to EV's first registered on or after 01/04/2025.
Every one else will pay the standard rate
Seems pretty clear to me. Non of us will need to pay EVS on ANY of our existing vehicles irrespective of the registration date "just" the standard rate.

1711619212977.png

Reactions: Obie
Best not go into practising law is all I can say.
You or others?
EVs already on the road will not incur the expensive car supplement

To back that argument up, the expensive car supplement is only payable for 5/6 years depending on retaxing part year on cars that have to pay it, so any EV registered in 2017 wouldn't have to pay it anyway if EV's fell under the rule but there is no mention of this in the rules around EVs already registered.

Reactions: Obie
What makes you so sure?
I was actually involved in the implementation of the EVS (sorry) and the EV exemption (you're welcome) and I know where you are coming from.

When the exemption was put in place it was done in a way that meant when it expired it WOULD in theory just kick back in for existing EV's that were under 6 years old as you are suggesting.

However the govt have decided not to do that and have clearly laid out what WILL happen. I have no love for the current Govt but doing what you are suggesting now would be a low blow even for them.

Now I understand how Elon fixed the Model 3 for 39990 - an insider job :)🤣😜
I did actually know the exemption was coming quite a while before it was made public but I could not say anything.
I did though prepare a post and as soon as it was announced I put it up telling poor hard up :rolleyes: S and X owners how to get a refund on the remaining months of EVS they had on their current licence. You could not just tax again you had to SORN first or you don't get the refund.

@Jason71 do you know what the situation is with pre 2017 registered non EV vehicles that currently pay £0 VED?

I see various comments but nothing definitive. Something about moving from Band A to Band B is best I can gather but I have no idea what band A and B are and what the financial differences are or even if this scenario applies to me.

I have a low emissions ICE registered early 2016 that currently pays £0 VED.

If the band A /B stuff is true and applies to me, from what I see I will be going from £0 to £notalot which is far cheaper than a fully zero emissions EV.

For a few months I can be bothered to move tax date for the savings of the price of a few coffees, but if it’s significantly more then I will probably change tax date too - currently may IIRC. I find moving tax date away from MOT date potentially more beneficial.

@Jason71 do you know what the situation is with pre 2017 registered non EV vehicles that currently pay £0 VED?

I see various comments but nothing definitive. Something about moving from Band A to Band B is best I can gather but I have no idea what band A and B are and what the financial differences are or even if this scenario applies to me.

I have a low emissions ICE registered early 2016 that currently pays £0 VED.

If the band A /B stuff is true and applies to me, from what I see I will be going from £0 to £notalot which is far cheaper than a fully zero emissions EV.

For a few months I can be bothered to move tax date for the savings of the price of a few coffees, but if it’s significantly more then I will probably change tax date too - currently may IIRC. I find moving tax date away from MOT date potentially more beneficial.
The flat rate VED AND expensive vehicle supliment were introduced in 2017 so post 2017 EVs will move to the standard rules for post 2017 vehicles.
Pre 2017 EVs will move to the standard rules for pre 2017 vehicles. See below.
Screenshot_20240329_204542_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

They are removing band A so they will move to band B which is currently £20.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger