Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rental Model X rides much quieter and smoother than my 2018. What gives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my MX manufactured 12/18 with 13K miles to the service center for some minor repairs.

They let me borrow a 2017 75D with 35K miles. The ride quality is much smoother and more compliant than my car. The road noise is also noticeably less.

The cars both have the 22" wheels with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires. I checked the tire pressure on the rental car and it is 41psi - just as I keep my own tires.

I don't understand how the ride quality could differ so much from car to car. I've been driving around San Francisco - where the streets are falling apart - and what is usually a jarring and rough ride in my newer, lower mileage car, is a smoother, softer, and more quiet ride with the rental.

Any ideas here? Could the suspension be different between the two cars? I'm at a loss. I only know that I wish my own MX drove the way this rental does.

That’s how Tesla’s are built. There is no consistency.

I’ve been in 2014’s Model S that are very quiet and 2018’s that are very noisy. It’s a crapshoot and, unfortunately, nothing Tesla will do to fix it.

Reactions: logan
Took my MX manufactured 12/18 with 13K miles to the service center for some minor repairs.

They let me borrow a 2017 75D with 35K miles. The ride quality is much smoother and more compliant than my car. The road noise is also noticeably less.

The cars both have the 22" wheels with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires. I checked the tire pressure on the rental car and it is 41psi - just as I keep my own tires.

I don't understand how the ride quality could differ so much from car to car. I've been driving around San Francisco - where the streets are falling apart - and what is usually a jarring and rough ride in my newer, lower mileage car, is a smoother, softer, and more quiet ride with the rental.

Any ideas here? Could the suspension be different between the two cars? I'm at a loss. I only know that I wish my own MX drove the way this rental does.

Your tires and rims may have some damage if you have hit potholes or curbs. This can make them rumble and shake. While low profile tires and rims look great they are much easier to damage.

The tires will have the greatest impact on ride smoothness and road noise.

Underinflating the tires can produce smoother travel, likely trading off shorter life for the tires. Overinflating the tires has the adverse effect - rougher ride.

The tires are also a major source of road noise, coupled with the type of road (new asphalt is usually very quiet). If the tires have the foam inserts, they'll be quieter. Newer tires also seem quieter and get noisier as tread wears.

We've noticed our 2018 X seems noisier than our 2017 S - and I suspect it's due to the tires and not due to a difference in the vehicles.